Pets

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
So what kind of pets does everyone have? Currently I have a small fish tank (20 gallon) and a mini schnauzer.

RoughAshlar

Im quite the aquarist myself. I have two aquariums. A 60 gallon with a full grown tiger oscar in it named Barabass that kills everything else I put in it. He is about a foot long now if not more. And a 30 gallon with a bunch of small community fish. I also have a border collie/ black lab cross dog that is the sweetest animal I have ever met, she has always been incredibly well behaved and tries to sneak her way on to my lap but is way to big to get away with it!

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Ah , a thread after my own heart .

I have two 30 gal. aquariums full of African cichlids . A cockatiel named Sophie that was given to me by a friend of mine .

I have a 12 yr. old Rat terrier , who is old and grumpy . Two years ago my beloved chow , Jasmine , of 13 years had to be put down , it felt like my heart was ripped out . It's amazing how attached we can get to them . Well , a few weeks later while killing time while the wife was shopping , I wondered into a pet store .Normally , I do not do business with stores that sell animals(other than fish) but I seen a Jack Russell Terrier and she seen me and I knew I had to have her . I bought her and named her after my Chow , August Jasmine , who is rough and tough and afraid of nothing . And finally , the wife and I went to the local pound to get my father-in-law a dog . We looked and looked and could not find one to suit him ,until we went into a little side room where we found a timid little shih tzu/terrier mix . The wife called him and told him we found him one and he had changed his mind and didn't want her .Her due date to be put to sleep was the next day . My wife started crying and went to the car to bawl , I told the man working there that that the wife wanted her but we forgot to stop by the ATM .He reached in , picked her up took her to my wife and told her to give her a good home . The adoption fee is $50 , but he said not to worry about it . And that is how we ended up with our third dog , Isabelle . Though she is my wife's , she has ended up being my little shadow . Everytime that ASPCA commercial comes on the TV showing the abused and unwanted dogs and cats I call all my dogs to me so I can have them near me . It kills me that there are people out there who abuse animals like they do .

Along with a few horses out on the farm .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
A few pictures .

[/IMG]

My Chow Jasmine and Rat Terrier , Rizzo .

[/IMG]

A better one of Jazz .

[/IMG]

Our rescue , Isabelle .

[/IMG]
And August , my Parsons Russell Terrier ( formerly known as a Jack Russell )

RoughAshlar

They are adorable, I love dogs. A friend of mine has a jack russel / rottwieler cross. It looks like a more muscular jack russel with all the colouring of a rotti, its a scary combination.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
They are adorable, I love dogs. A friend of mine has a jack russel / rottwieler cross. It looks like a more muscular jack russel with all the colouring of a rotti, its a scary combination.

As bad as I hate to say it , a JRT and Rottie getting it on would been a site to behold seeing the size difference .

My buddy had a Basset hound that got busy with a greyhound . Ugliest , weirdest looking puppies I have ever seen .

Darrel

We had two miniature dappled dachsunds, but Molly died back in November. We were heartbroken. We still have Jenny, but you can tell she misses her sister.
:eek:

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I would love to get an aquarium, even made mention to the wife when we went shopping and walked through our local petsmart. Got to look at all of the amazing fish available. Currently, we have 2 cats. I grew up with cats and I am allergic to dogs, so I stick with cats. Not sure if an aquarium is such a good idea right now with them either.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
With cats an aquarium shouldn't be a problem . I love mine , it's peaceful watching the fish . Well , it's peaceful watching other fish . African cichlids , like I have , do nothing but beat the crap out of each other . With cichlids , it's better to keep them a little over crowded so they wont be fighting for territory .

If and when you get an aquarium , get the biggest you can afford and have space for . Those small 10 gal. starter kits for beginners are not for beginners . You have to really know what you are doing to keep fish alive and healthy in smaller aquariums . The smaller the tank , the quicker things can go wrong . The bigger the tank the more room you have for error . The water quality will not go bad as quickly in a larger tank , that is ammonia levels take longer to spike , Ph dropping or spiking , water temp , you can go longer between partial water changes etc; etc; .

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Thanks Ashlar, I will definately keep that in mind. I look forward to it one day, hopefully soon, but who knows.

rustybones49801

A Rough Ashlar
OK, here goes.... 3 dogs, one Schipperkee, one German Shouthair and One Beagle... A guinnea pig, An iguanna, 9 corn snakes, 1 Bearded Dragon, 1 tree frog( my wife is the small reptile rescue for the Upper Penninsula of Michigan....

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
OK, here goes.... 3 dogs, one Schipperkee, one German Shouthair and One Beagle... A guinnea pig, An iguanna, 9 corn snakes, 1 Bearded Dragon, 1 tree frog( my wife is the small reptile rescue for the Upper Penninsula of Michigan....

I have a soft spot for anyone who takes the time and money to rescue unwanted pets . It is truly amazing and unbelievable as to the reasons why some get rid of their pets . With dogs , well any kind of pet , the biggest reason is that people do not take the time to study up on a certain breed/type before they get one and buy a puppy because it's cute and it grows up to be to big ,hyper or strong willed and they can not handle it . Rescues and shelters is where most , if not all , of my charity and donations goes to .

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Thats nice of her. I used to love snakes until I came to Florida. I think because in Long Island all we really had was garden snakes and I didn't have to worry about being bit. Down here we have coral, rattlesnakes and water moccasins. I really haven't seen many up close yet, but I did have a black racer defend his spot in my garden.

When we lived in NY we used to get all the pets the well to do people left at the end of summer on the high way. We lived close to the Long Island Express way and only an hour or two from the Hampton's. However that stopped after my fathers lung collapsed due to the allergies.

One of the best dogs I ever had was a pure white German Sheppard who was black from fleas and you could count her ribs when we picked her up. Lots of great stories about that dog are still told by my family. I might have a picture about.