Please read first

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Brothers and guests, this is a section for Brother Nagy "Coach" to inform Brothers about his books, events and other products he has out there to give Brothers further light. Please feel free to discuss his products in here, and please keep it on topic.

CoachN

Builder Builder
Okay, lets see if it works...

COACH?

How is the Middle Chamber talk relevant to a Brother's everyday life?
Great question Brother!

It's a reminder first and foremost to not take education for granted.

Years ago, the Middle Chamber talk must have been an awesome thing to hear. Imagine coming into this degree as a man who never had an opportunity to engage in any higher schooling whatsoever. Imagine how that man would respond to being told that education, and more importantly a specificly directed education, most be his focus. It must have been overwhelming.

We, in the USA, take for granted that education will be provided to us because we currently grow up in a society where education is provided. How many of us took advantage of it while we could? How many of us completed an education that included the 7LAs&Ss in FULL?

If you studied history, you would understand the purpose of such studies. These studies originated at a time when "the Powers that be" were trying to reconcile accepted "Theology" and classical "Philosophy." The study had a purpose. It prepared men for serious study of Theology and Philosophy. It prepares those who study them to better understand a chosen Faith or Ideology. Our MC Lecture hints at this.

It is most unfortunate that this additional information is not provided to our Brothers during that Lecture.

F&S,

Coach N

DavisB

Great question Brother!

It's a reminder first and foremost to not take education for granted.

Years ago, the Middle Chamber talk must have been an awesome thing to hear. Imagine coming into this degree as a man who never had an opportunity to engage in any higher schooling whatsoever. Imagine how that man would respond to being told that education, and more importantly a specificly directed education, most be his focus. It must have been overwhelming.

We, in the USA, take for granted that education will be provided to us because we currently grow up in a society where education is provided. How many of us took advantage of it while we could? How many of us completed an education that included the 7LAs&Ss in FULL?

If you studied history, you would understand the purpose of such studies. These studies originated at a time when "the Powers that be" were trying to reconcile accepted "Theology" and classical "Philosophy." The study had a purpose. It prepared men for serious study of Theology and Philosophy. It prepares those who study them to better understand a chosen Faith or Ideology. Our MC Lecture hints at this.

It is most unfortunate that this additional information is not provided to our Brothers during that Lecture.

F&S,

Coach N
As a history student, I loved the Middle Chamber lecture. For the reasons you stated, it became very clear that when that lecture was written, it would have been, for many Brother's, their first exposure to the idea that a focused education on so many topics is what was necessary. I also liked that it explained why, at the beginning of what Freemasonry is today, so many nobles and educated elite came to the craft. In a time where education was valued and seen as a status symbol, the ideas offered in the MC lecture would have been very appealing.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
ALSO, Coach, it was once believed that if one Mastered the trivium and quadrivium (which consist of the these 7 arts & sciences) that the inner workings of the universe (meaning God's plan, etc) would become evident. I guess these days, we think more in terms of quantum physics as the key to the universe, but I say "More's the pity!". If we all studied the 7 A&S's then we'd all be talking to one another on the same level.

CoachN

Builder Builder
ALSO, Coach, it was once believed that if one Mastered the trivium and quadrivium (which consist of the these 7 arts & sciences) that the inner workings of the universe (meaning God's plan, etc) would become evident. I guess these days, we think more in terms of quantum physics as the key to the universe, but I say "More's the pity!". If we all studied the 7 A&S's then we'd all be talking to one another on the same level.
Yup. Unfortunately, there are far too many people talking about quantum physics who have not done the basics. They seem like they know what they are talking about to those who haven't done the basics. For those who have done the basics, it is clear that these folks don't know what they are talking about. Their very looks betray them.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Yup. Unfortunately, there are far too many people talking about quantum physics who have not done the basics. They seem like they know what they are talking about to those who haven't done the basics. For those who have done the basics, it is clear that these folks don't know what they are talking about. Their very looks betray them.
Not to mention String Theory, and someday in the futyre there will another 'theory', SO?
.................iIf I speak with the voices of angels...............

CoachN

Builder Builder
Not to mention String Theory, and someday in the futyre there will another 'theory', SO?
.................iIf I speak with the voices of angels...............
Or that theory that claims there's only ONE electron and it is shared throughout the whole universe.

Winter

I've been here before
I may be reading it wrong, but it looks like several denigrating comments about "theories." As a scientist I take exception to this. (But never harshly with my Brothers! :) )

A scientific theory is not a guess. A theory is what one or more hypotheses become once they have been verified and accepted to be true. A theory is an explanation of a set of related observations or events based upon proven hypotheses and verified multiple times by detached groups of researchers. Unfortunately, even some scientists often use the term "theory" in a more colloquial sense, when they really mean to say "hypothesis." That makes its true meaning in science even more confusing to the general public.

While my reply was a bit tongue and cheek, I do somewhat believe it...such as the theory of global warming.....

Many theories have other theories that disprove one another....