Pressure toward the chairs

devlin

Laus Deo
Hi Brothers,

I was raised in August and almost from the get go it was hinted that there were hopes from upper officers that I start the chairs. First I was asked to take the Sr. Stewards place in a EA rehearsal, then it was requested by the WM in late Sept. I replace the Jr. Steward for the month of October, now it's been extended through the end of the year. I agreed to do it knowing they were in a pinch.

I was recently approached by one who is hopeful of becoming our next WM that I officially fill the Jr. Steward's position next year. I am honored that the current WM as well as one who believes he will be the next, feels I am one who would do well going through the chairs but I had hoped after my raising to be on the sidelines for a time so I could take in everything, get a feel for what all goes on and a better understanding of how to integrate it all into my being. Then after a year start the chairs if it is the path that I feel is right for me.

I don't know where best to start with this.... Do I have a 1 on 1 with the current WM?, do I tell the prospective WM I appreciate the thought but rather not, or what? I don't mind filling in but I was not ready for this. It is all more than a little overwhelming.

There are things I would like to do for my lodge and Freemasonry in general but I do not know if going through the chairs is one of them. How can I decide. I don't want to commit either way then let my lodge down or myself because I found a masonic path that was better ment for me...

I don't know how much sense this made... Having ADHD sometimes my mind tends to..... oh I have a Great Pyrenees dog named Abby, I recently re-did our kitchen, did you see my tabby cat?, we're having pork chops for dinner,.... You get the picture.....

CoachN

Builder Builder
Unless you have a desire to do the line, likened to a man with his hair on fire desires a bucket of water, I would recommend you tell them that you don't mind filling in occasionally and prefer not stepping in for now fully.

You would be well served ... SQUIRREL!!! ... having a canned response that puts any request/offer firmly to rest until you are so desiring.

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
I think you may have already answered the question. You don't feel ready. If you were, you wouldn't be questioning this so much. This decision needs to be based on your own free will and accord.

2SONDAD

Sigh, as a parent of a child with ADHD, I can only take so many ADHD references. Oooh look, a chicken!

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I was in a similar position right after I wa raised. I got talked into the Junior Steward position, which also led to me doing ALL of the Masonic Ed for the Lodge. It was all supposedly to teach me about Freemasonry and prepare me to be a WM someday. It wound up burning me out.

I wound up doing my year, and then dropping from the line much to their dismay.

Take your time and only take on what you feel you can do. The first thing a new MM needs to learn is how and when to say no thanks.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
My canned response is I will take any chair were the lodge feels like I can them best. Currently that is Chaplin.

goomba

I feel you Bro. Devlin. My current WM wants to be JW or SW next year! He says because of the age of most of our members he wants someone young to learn the chairs. I guess I have the same outlook as Bro. Duncan. Regardless don't do something outside the lenght of you CT.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Goomba, I think its great to have zeal for the fraternity, and offer help wherever its needed. In my situation I felt like I was being taken advantage of and pushed into more than what I agreed to do.

If you have the time and desire thats great. I was just pointing out that if you arent careful, its easy to get in over your head and thats not fun. Its more of a chore. Id much rather do things because I want to. Not because im being pushed into something because no one else wants to do it.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I agree that you should be clear and say "no" if you are not ready to take a leadership position in your lodge. Remember that you are not just being appointed to a steward's chair, but to be Master of the lodge in 7 years...or less.
I was approached 3 or 4 times about entering the chairs, I had too much going on until my kids were teenagers, to consider being installed in the line. I took part in degree work, I covered chairs when junior officers were absent, I coached candidates, but I had to say "NO" to the 7 year commitment until I was ready and had the time.
When Doc Easterling asked me in late '94 if I would accept an appointment, I asked my wife if she would be willing to share me with the lodge for 7 years. I have seen too many start in the offices, and when the road gets long, there is resistance from home, and a good officer is lost.

S&F

goomba

Goomba, I think its great to have zeal for the fraternity, and offer help wherever its needed. In my situation I felt like I was being taken advantage of and pushed into more than what I agreed to do.

If you have the time and desire thats great. I was just pointing out that if you arent careful, its easy to get in over your head and thats not fun. Its more of a chore. Id much rather do things because I want to. Not because im being pushed into something because no one else wants to do it.
Gary by all means if no is the right answer then say no. I don't think any brother should do something like that they don't want to. Sorry if I came across meaning something else.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Bill,

You would make a great Officer but only if it's what you want to do. When I entered the line, I was originally under the impression that I could have dropped out at any time. This impression was because so many of our Officers did just that, even as high as Senior Warden. The man I respect most in my lodge called me aside and over a beer explained that I was making a seven year commitment to get to the Oriental Chair and in the process would be memorizing over two hundred thousand (it seems bigger when you spell it out) words of Ritual along the way. I gave it some thought and haven't regretted the decision so far. (Talk to me on Friday after I deliver the Middle Chamber Lecture for the first time tomorrow night ;) )

I made a similar decision, though. I decided that I would not join any appendant body until I stepped down from the East. I figured they could wait for me.

There's nothing wrong and a lot right with the plan you have to sit on the sidelines for a bit and get to know the Fraternity. On the other hand, there are very few more rewarding times in my life than those I spent helping to give our Candidates a degree they will fondly remember. The choice is always yours. If you decide to sit this year out of the line, make sure you let the Master and the incoming Master know right away as they will need to find somebody to fill that spot.

devlin

Laus Deo
Well after all this my employer made the decision. After knowing I was doing rehearsals for our lodge they suddenly said I can not keep making requests for evenings off (they boast the good thing about the position is its flexible schedule....) so unless I can get them to actually *be* flexible I can not commit to doing much until I can find a regular day job....

My sales manager is one of those who believes all the consparicy stuff.

2SONDAD

If he believes all the conspiracy stuff, you would think he would be too scared not to give you the time off. :evillaugh:

Seriously, you'll know when the time is right and work won't get in the way.

goomba

Sorry about your work. Even if you weren't ready for the chair this has to be a let down.

2SONDAD

Last night, I was offered the opportunity to become an officer. I am flattered, and interested, but family will come first.

I'll discuss it with my wife. It has a huge effect on her and the kids.

The WM was very understanding. I told him I would let him know by this weekend.