Question about English Lodges/ York Rite

G

Gary

I've got family in England, and would like to attend a Lodge while there.

I was told that in order for Masons from the U.S. to gain admission, they need to be York Rite or they will be turned away.

Something to do with the way they confer their degrees. I believe they include the Royal Arch?

Anyways, I find it odd that they can visit our Lodges without issue, but we must meet requirements to visit theirs.

My dillema is that I'm not sure YR is where I want to proceed. I think it would be wrong to work through YR just so I can travel abroad.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
From what I have been told , this is an untrue statement .

I am a York Rite Mason and highly recommend it . I was a Scottish Rite Mason also but demitted , just wasn't my cup of tea . Take your time , do not let them force you into joining something you do not wish to be a part of , study up and ask questions concerning each Rite and see which Rite is more appealing to you .

G

Gary

I've been doing just that. I find both interesting, but was a little dumbfounded when I was told that even with a letter from my Grand Lodge, they wouldn't let me in to visit over there...

I was told this by one of my Lodge Brothers who had attempted to do just that. He happened to be York Rite as well, so I guess after further examination, they let him in. I may have mis-understood something in the conversation that day, but I doubt it. Just seems wierd...

Sounds like I may just write the UGLE and find out me-self... Thanks for the input Ashlar!

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Right or wrong, I'm planning on going through all three, Shriners, Scottish and York. Shriners I love, for their family involvement. I've researched both Scottish and York Rites. But I think it is going to come down to me joining both and seeing if I like it. But I think that is getting off subject.

I would love to hear what you found out about visiting over there. I know we have had a few Brothers pass through visiting, from England and Scotland.

G

Gary

There actually was a brother from Surrey England who attended my FC degree. He was visiting with friends in the area. Unfortunately he left before I could talk to him about it...

I'll let you know what I find out. I'm not sure the proper protocol for such an inquiry though.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Gary:

From my very limited experience, there is no prohibition in England which makes it impossible for American Masons to visit Lodges. If that were the case, we would not be in amity with them. Yes, it is true that many (if not all) English Lodges do not consider a man's Masonic education to be complete without the Holy Royal Arch degree, but once you've had the 3rd degree, you are indeed a Master Mason. You may not be considered to have had everything you're entitled to, but you still should be able to visit an English lodge. You will probably require "traveling papers" which would be issued by your Grand Lodge, but you should be able to get past the Tiler.

G

Gary

I'm familiar with the traveling papers. I figured something like that would be necessary. I still haven't gotten around to contacting UGLE yet. I've been busy with other Lodge related tasks lately.

I will let everyone know what they say when I do for though.

Thanks for the input Patrick <everyone else too!>

pjobrian80

I am a Scottish Rite Mason and have just petitioned the Royal Arch Masons. The Scottish Rite is a very fun, family friendly organization as far as dinners, outings, and social events. Although I have not seen all the degrees, as they are not put on regularly, the ones that I have seen are very elaborate and spectacularly produced. I would recommend the S/R to anyone.

glherbolsheimer

You need only to be a Mason, I believe, as English lodges open on the EA, proceed upward and come back down for closing. At each proceeding, those who have not passed to that degree leave. Since our English brethren take at least a year to proceed from one degree to another, there will always be a few brethren who will leave. Generally, you have to have passed the chair to attend Installations - very closed. Be aware that signs are different, in some lodges very different, but most likely, you will find someone who has been to an American lodge and will finally interject, "Oh, he's American. They don't know what they are doing. In London, just go to the Grand Secretary's office and he will tell you which lodges are meeting and on what degree. Try to see their 3rd. Black (or dark) suit and black tie (available across the street in London). Wonderful fun and fraternity. There are a few lodges that require the Royal Arch degree, a good reason to go York Rite.

G

Gary

Be aware that signs are different, in some lodges very different, but most likely, you will find someone who has been to an American lodge and will finally interject, "Oh, he's American. They don't know what they are doing.

There are a few lodges that require the Royal Arch degree, a good reason to go York Rite.
Nice.... Now that opens up yet another question....If UGLE governs British Lodges, why do they have different requirements and modes of recognition varying by Lodge? LOL....

Thanks for the input glherbolsheimer, most appreciated!

I have a question, it may be a bit off topic but I will ask anyway. In America are there lodges that are still under the UGLE or the Grand Lodge of Scotland?

Here in New Zealand before the Grand Lodge of New Zealand was established there were a lot of lodges whos charters came from Scotland, England and even France. When the Grand Lodge of New Zealand was established some of those lodges handed back their charters to foreign Grand Lodges and came under the Grand Lodge of New Zealand. To cut a long story short, there were some lodges who chose not to crossover to the newly established Grand Lodge of New Zealand and so to this very day they still hold their charter to the UGLE or the Grand Lodge of Scotland.

Here in New Zealand members of the New Zealand Constitution are more than welcome to attend an English Constitution Lodge or a Scottish Constitution Lodge and vice versa. While I haven't visited the English or Scottish Constitution Lodges here in New Zealand I have been at Lodge when they have been visiting and they are great. They know their ritual inside out and while they differ to the New Zealand Constitution in terms of ritual they are very firm in what they do. I hope to visit a S.C Lodge soon.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I have a question, it may be a bit off topic but I will ask anyway. In America are there lodges that are still under the UGLE or the Grand Lodge of Scotland?

Here in New Zealand before the Grand Lodge of New Zealand was established there were a lot of lodges whos charters came from Scotland, England and even France. When the Grand Lodge of New Zealand was established some of those lodges handed back their charters to foreign Grand Lodges and came under the Grand Lodge of New Zealand. To cut a long story short, there were some lodges who chose not to crossover to the newly established Grand Lodge of New Zealand and so to this very day they still hold their charter to the UGLE or the Grand Lodge of Scotland.

Here in New Zealand members of the New Zealand Constitution are more than welcome to attend an English Constitution Lodge or a Scottish Constitution Lodge and vice versa. While I haven't visited the English or Scottish Constitution Lodges here in New Zealand I have been at Lodge when they have been visiting and they are great. They know their ritual inside out and while they differ to the New Zealand Constitution in terms of ritual they are very firm in what they do. I hope to visit a S.C Lodge soon.
To my knowledge there are no Lodges in the United States that still have an 'active' Charter with UGLE.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Question all, Whats wrong with going scottish then york, or vice versa?
I went Scottish first, only because their reunion was first. I'm having problems finding out when the York will be done. But I believe in trying both and deciding which one or both you want to be active in. If nothing else, you will walk away with more knowledge and light then before.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Not all YR bodies put on reunions/festivals , but put on degrees as petitions come in as we do . We will break up the degrees over several months . We tried a festival once , and found it is too much on the Brother/Companion/Sir Knight to take in all in one day and it was to much on us .

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Not all YR bodies put on reunions/festivals , but put on degrees as petitions come in as we do . We will break up the degrees over several months . We tried a festival once , and found it is too much on the Brother/Companion/Sir Knight to take in all in one day and it was to much on us .
Unfortunately MY YR group has too few members to actually do the degrees right now. We're hoping to expand shortly (there are several new Masons who have evinced interest).

rbryantr

Our YR has been growing in activity recently as well. We just perfromed the Council degrees in our own Council room for the 2nd time in 40 years. the 1st was last year!
To quote our Grand High Priest, "It is a great time to be a York Rite Mason"!