Question for the Masons

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
What are your feelings about when someone should move in the line? What do they need to know before they should be allowed to progress toward Worshipful Master??

WebMason

Web Mason
When someone should move in the line toward Worshipful Master?

IMHO, it should be when they can do the work in that spot, purely
voluntary and be willing to advance at their own pace. To accept
a spot in the officer line and then not do it, is hard to overcome and
has UN-intended consequences on the other members. We are sworn
to help one another, but I don't remember promising to "carry" those
who won't/don't do the work after they accept the job!

It seems that the "it's your turn to move up next year" mentality
is woven into society inside and outside of Masonry. In our
Fraternity it is OK to believe in: the best man for the job, gets it.

The old laughable definition of insanity is: Doing the exact same thing
over and over, and then expecting different results... :confused:

Since the last 4+ decades have resulted in reduced interest in Masonry
and a dwindling membership base, we need to ADJUST something.

Do you think we as Masons should use the "from the top down
or from the bottom up" leadership models?

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I think when you can preform the duties of that spot and you want to do it, you should move up the line.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Agreed.I think you shouldn't be advanced until you are proficient in the chair you are in , and should already have a general idea of the next chair in line .

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I brought this discussion up because it has been said (supposedly from school of instruction) that the only requirement to move to the next seat is that you must be proficient in 1 degree more than you are at the present time. If you are sitting in the Senior Wardens chair and are not proficient in the 1st degree yet, you just need to pass off on the first degree to sit as master. I feel this is very wrong and detrimental to the fraternity, and a travesty to the brothers, and the past masters of the lodges. I would surely hope that anyone who wishes to pursue the journey to the east will honor those who have been there before by actually learning all that the lodge must perform at any given time.

Astrivian

Bro. Samuel
BG_TRBL, are you saying that EAs and FCs can enter the line? If that is what you are saying, i agree with you. I will enter the line for the first time next year as a Senior Steward (for some reason the Brethren laughed when i said i would do it, hmmmm :) ). But i would never consider even asking to join the line if i had not been raised to a MM first. I intend on taking it seriously, learning all i can about my position before attempting any sort of move.

Personally, i think rushing people through the degrees or the line is detremental overall to the Craft. If our new members see the work as trivial, they will not have the dedication necessary to participate in what i consider to be the true work: charity and brotherly love (viz. the Widow's Project, blood donations, service, etc.)

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
BG_TRBL, are you saying that EAs and FCs can enter the line? If that is what you are saying, i agree with you. I will enter the line for the first time next year as a Senior Steward (for some reason the Brethren laughed when i said i would do it, hmmmm :) ). But i would never consider even asking to join the line if i had not been raised to a MM first. I intend on taking it seriously, learning all i can about my position before attempting any sort of move.

Personally, i think rushing people through the degrees or the line is detremental overall to the Craft. If our new members see the work as trivial, they will not have the dedication necessary to participate in what i consider to be the true work: charity and brotherly love (viz. the Widow's Project, blood donations, service, etc.)
NO, I am not saying that you can join the line without being raised to a master mason, You must be a master mason before you can enter the line. It simply was to address moving in the elected chairs of Junior Warden, Senior Warden, and Worshipful Master. The knowledge needed to be proficient in these chairs far exceeds the requirements as set forth by my states district-deputy for my area.
I am happy to hear that you are considering entering the officers line, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I just hope that when your elected Worshipful Master enters the chair on Saint John's Day next that he will be proficient and compliment the fraternity and your lodge to the members and visitors of this venerable institution.

mystangs

Being the Senior Steward in my Lodge for 08 I can understand why they would laugh. Our Stewards have started a change from the Stewards of old. We not only setup the lodge, prepare the canidates, and collect money for the stated dinners (Appendant bodies cook) but we also hold a monthly pancake breakfast for fellowship and to raise some money.

Here in Virginia there is no guarantee that if you are a Steward that you will go into the elected line. I believe when you are asked based on your work and devotion to the Craft then you are ready for the line. I would never ask but will serve when asked.