Question of religion

IanF

The religion I practice has multiple gods however there is a supreme God that I devote myself to and I wonder if this would be an obstruction for me to join the Freemasons. My grandfather was a Freemason and the best man I've ever known and any organization that he associated with had to be a good one. It's not some whim to join but I want to make sure that I can. Thank you for your advice in advance.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Hi Ian,

I was the chair of the investigation committee for a man who is a practicing Wiccan. When it was brought up in a meeting (not a tyled meeting, btw) that Wiccans worship multiple gods so they are not qualified to be Masons, I explained that they actually have many "Spirits" that might be thought of as the equivalent of "Saints" to a Christian but the faith holds the "Lord and Lady" or "God and Goddess" as two aspects of a singular Supreme Being. When I was rebuked and told that polytheists are not allowed I then asked if a man who believes in three gods and practices ritual cannibalism as part of his worship service would be fit to be a member of our great Fraternity. I was told, "Absolutely not!" I then asked that all the Christians in the room turn in their dues cards as from an outsider's perspective my description is completely accurate for them. We owe every man the opportunity to explain his faith to us with an open mind and if it fits the requirements of our Jurisdiction, it should no longer be any of our concern.

Good luck and I hope to call you "brother" soon.

IanF

Thank you Windrider. I hope for that honor soon as well. Is there an appeals process if I am rejected at a lodge?

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Thank you Windrider. I hope for that honor soon as well. Is there an appeals process if I am rejected at a lodge?
Actually, no.

The process in my jurisdiction is as follows: you meet members of the lodge and ask one to be your sponsor (or you may already know someone). Your sponsor guides you through the application process. You meet with the Master or one of the Wardens and two other members of the lodge who help you fill out your petition. The petition includes questions regarding your faith, so this is a time to ensure that the brothers you are speaking to understand there is a Supreme Being to whom you hold yourself accountable. Your petition is read in lodge at the next meeting and an investigative committee is assigned. The investigative committee meets with you and , preferably, your family. This is another time where you need to help the brothers understand your faith. The investigative committee returns their reports which are exactly one word long: either "favorable" or "unfavorable". The lodge votes on your petition. For you to become a member, the vote must be unanimously favorable. The voting is done by secret ballot and it is a Masonic Offence to even ask a brother how he voted or to reveal your own vote. If the vote is unfavorable, the Master may call a recess and let the lodge know that if someone has something to discuss, he is available in a private room. When the recess is over the Master can call for up to two more votes. If the vote remains unfavorable, the candidate is refunded his application fees and told he may reapply to this or any other lodge in six months.