Question on Joining

Doc

My great grandfather, who was the closest thing I had to a father figure was a Mason in Ohio. I am on a search for his Mason's ring, since it meant such a great deal to him and he means such a great deal to me.

Two questions:

If a ring was pawned, would it work its way back to the lodge, and if so is there any way to get it back?

Second question; with a deceased family member as a former member in good standing, would that help along my application to the lodge.

I have many reasons for joining the lodge, and my great grandfather is one of them.

Where should I go from here?

Travelinman

Sir, go to a local lodge to speak with someone their. Tell them you are interested, and they will tell you what you need to do.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
My great grandfather, who was the closest thing I had to a father figure was a Mason in Ohio. I am on a search for his Mason's ring, since it meant such a great deal to him and he means such a great deal to me.

Two questions:

If a ring was pawned, would it work its way back to the lodge, and if so is there any way to get it back?

Second question; with a deceased family member as a former member in good standing, would that help along my application to the lodge.

I have many reasons for joining the lodge, and my great grandfather is one of them.

Where should I go from here?
Doc, to attempt to answer you questions,
1. The ring wouldn't find it's way back to the lodge, the rings are jewelry that are individual specific, rarely have any indication of a lodge the individual belonged to. Rings are usually pretty generic in markings of the owners as well. These if pawned ("pawned" the shop should be holding it for their money for a set amount of time, sold to a pawn shop indicates that they could sell it as soon as the individual walked out of the store) could be anywhere and with anyone.
2. The fact that your great grandfather was a mason in good standing really doesn't have a direct relation to your petition. Your petition is considered on its own merit, and you are the individual who would be petitioning. It is great that your great grandfather was a mason, but that being said, it doesn't affect your personal actions, so it doesn't act to vouch for your standing in society.
Good luck with the pursuit of our venerable institution, and welcome to the forums also.

"Edit" A simple internet search for "Grand Lodge of ____________" should yield you a return to locate a lodge in your area, make contact with that lodge, and see if you know anyone around you that is a Mason, they are sure to help.