Reading list

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I call those "MF'S" ( Mouse farts) from clicking where or when I didn't mean to:eek:

I have gone click happy and closed so many windows in rapid succession without saving stuff and regretted it. MF'S.
Thanks! I now have a new term to explain my behavior!!! :rolleyes:

G

Gary

Not all of Pike's work is hard to read. This book is pretty good.

R

removed121010

I just got Morals and Dogma for 21st century in last night, haven't even got to crack it open yet.

goomba

I just finished reading Born in Blood and it was amazing. Mr. Robinson's research was very enlightening!

My next book will be A Pilgrim's Path which I am starting now.

jaya

Many consider Born in Blood to be troublesome and false in many accounts. He does make a case for what he believes to be the origans of freemasonry. However, many of his claims have been proven to be false, even before he wrote about them. Here is one decent review of Born in Blood: "Born in Blood", a few observations

kblair210

Most recently finished The Craft and Its Symbols. Did a quick search on Albert Pike's Esoterika and it's too expensive. Might see if the lodge has a copy of that one.

On the list to read in no real particular order (some for education, some for enjoyment):

• Born in Blood: The Lost Secrets of Freemasonry
  • A Pilgrim's Path: Freemasonry and the Religious Right
  • Symbols of Freemasonry
  • The Freemasons Key - A Study of Masonic Symbolism
  • American Freemasons: Three Centuries of Building Communities
  • Solomon's Builders: Freemasons, Founding Fathers and the Secrets of Washington D.C.
  • The Secrets of Masonic Washington: A Guidebook to Signs, Symbols, and Ceremonies at the Origin of America's Capital
  • Duncan's Ritual of Freemasonry
  • Freemasons For Dummies

goomba

I read Pilgrim's Path today. It's not a very long read and fairly easy to. However, I was expecting more. It was good, but didn't carry the same logical thought as Born in Blood. Still thought it was a good book. Now onto Freemasons for Dummies.

CoachN

Builder Builder
Most recently finished The Craft and Its Symbols. Did a quick search on Albert Pike's Esoterika and it's too expensive. Might see if the lodge has a copy of that one.

On the list to read in no real particular order (some for education, some for enjoyment):

• Born in Blood: The Lost Secrets of Freemasonry
  • A Pilgrim's Path: Freemasonry and the Religious Right
  • Symbols of Freemasonry
  • The Freemasons Key - A Study of Masonic Symbolism
  • American Freemasons: Three Centuries of Building Communities
  • Solomon's Builders: Freemasons, Founding Fathers and the Secrets of Washington D.C.
  • The Secrets of Masonic Washington: A Guidebook to Signs, Symbols, and Ceremonies at the Origin of America's Capital
  • Duncan's Ritual of Freemasonry
  • Freemasons For Dummies
You might want to add to your list the 5 volume set called, "The Building Better Builders" Series by an Uncommon Masonic Education author that is local to you. :1-wink-grin:

kblair210

You might want to add to your list the 5 volume set called, "The Building Better Builders" Series by an Uncommon Masonic Education author that is local to you. :1-wink-grin:
They're certainly high on my wish list, the set is just slightly out of my price range presently. It would be nice if there were electronic versions, but that doesn't seem to lower book costs anyway. Most likely the next set of books I start buying though. :) (I already have all the above)

Terry S

Im currently reading "Compasses and the Cross"... I dont know what it is about that book but i cant get more than a few pages before passing out asleep. Its an interesting book about a subject that I'm very interested in... just cant help snoozing. The Georgia Code book didnt put me to sleep this bad.

I'm gonna push through.

"Freemasonry: A Journey Through Ritual and Symbol" is on its way to my door. Looking forward to it. I think the MLOE recommended it for new Masons, so I found it on Amazon.

CoachN

Builder Builder
They're certainly high on my wish list, the set is just slightly out of my price range presently. It would be nice if there were electronic versions, but that doesn't seem to lower book costs anyway. Most likely the next set of books I start buying though. :) (I already have all the above)
Well understood Brother. It's always good to read what you have first.

FF Sparky

Well understood Brother. It's always good to read what you have first.
Definately a must have. I wish I bought them before I bought all the other books in my collection. I still read them over and over again. Always picking up something new. I dont care for the history of Freemasonry, I'm all about the symbols and how to read them and put them to use. Thanks again Brother John.

CoachN

Builder Builder
Definately a must have. I wish I bought them before I bought all the other books in my collection. I still read them over and over again. Always picking up something new. I dont care for the history of Freemasonry, I'm all about the symbols and how to read them and put them to use. Thanks again Brother John.
After the day I've had, your post brought to my face a smile long wanting. Thanks Brother.

Jay Greenman

Aside from the promptings of my heart toward joining The Craft, one of the biggest attractions was having access to the local Temple library! Once initiated, I began to spend my lunch hours thumbing through the dusty shelves, allowing my intuition and the genuine 'Genii-us' of Freemasonry to guide my selections. I had already read most of the "Chapters friendly" stuff from Lomas and Baigent, but once I began to sink into imbue some of the incredible and obscure Masonic authors and writings I was hooked.

I am about to do my F.C. degree, but in the 6 months since my E.A. Initiation I have read, and highly recommend to any Mason, young and old, the following:

1. The Newly Made Mason (HL.Haywood)
2. The Apocalypse of Freemasonry (Castells)
3. Signs & Symbols
4. Arithmetic in Freemasonry (Castells)
5. Advancing in Freemasonry
6. The Magic of Freemasonry
7. The Key of Masonic Initiation (P.T. Runton, PPGD) 'Interpretations offered for the benefit of those who aspire to Mastership in the fuller and inner meaning of our allegory . . ." (Highly recommended; the insights and clarity of prose within this little book brought me to tears at points.)
8. The Meaning of Masonry (Wilmhurst) (Highly recommended as well - profound!)
9. The Genius of Masonry (JD Buck)
10. The Brotherhood (Stephen Knight)
11. Morals and Dogma (Pike)
12. The History of Freemasonry (Mackey)
13. An Examination of Masonic Symbols (M. Sanderson)
14. The Scarlet Book of Masonry

I have also just recently ordered HPH Bromwell's "Restorations of Masonic Geometry and Symbolry: Being a Dissertation on the Lost Knowledges of the Lodge" (http://www.kevintownley.com/products/books/restoration-of-masonic-geometry-and-symbolry/) an in-depth look at the integral connection between the actual physical design of the Temple's sacred proportions, the astronomical/astrological connection between the ritual movements of the officers, and the history of the development of the Masonic system. Needless to say, I'm excited for the UPS guy to show up with this one!

Attachments