Rejected petitioner

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
A few more questions for other jurisdictions ....

When a petitioner is black balled (cubed) how long does he have to wait before he can re-petition ? Can he even re-petition ? And if he wishes to try to re-petition at another lodge does the new lodge need a waiver to release him from the original lodge that rejected him ?

In my jurisdiction someone who has been rejected may re-petition one year after the date of the original ballot . And once rejected by a lodge , said lodge "owns" him . If he wishes to try to get in a different lodge , this lodge must ask for a waiver from the original lodge that first rejected him . If they refuse the waiver , then the man must re-petition the original lodge .

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
NC (AF&AM) requires a 6 month wait until a new petition is filed, but there is no requirement that the original lodge is the subsequent recipient.
An unlimited number of petitions may be submitted, subject to the 6 month waiting period.

S&F

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
NC (AF&AM) requires a 6 month wait until a new petition is filed, but there is no requirement that the original lodge is the subsequent recipient.
An unlimited number of petitions may be submitted, subject to the 6 month waiting period.

S&F
We have that rule in place (waivers to the original lodge) because the original lodge that black balled a petitioner may have a brother or brethren that know something about the petitioner's background that would make him a less than worthy member .

MWS

GLoC states that no application from a rejected applicant shall be received by the same or any other lodge within 12 months from the date of rejection. No waiver is necessary.

edwmax

GLoC states that no application from a rejected applicant shall be received by the same or any other lodge within 12 months from the date of rejection. No waiver is necessary.
Same in GL of Ga, and waivers are not permitted. After 12 months the petitioner any petition any Lodge.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Interesting , now more questions ....

I am glad that in my jurisdiction we require waivers for rejected petitioners . Someone may KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that a man is not worthy and we can continue to guard the West gate by denying the waiver at the ballot box and this keeps a rejected petitioner from "lodge shopping" until he finds a lodge that will accept him . Just because a man does not have an official criminal record does not mean he is clean , many criminals just never get caught but someone may no about their transgressions .

So with that said , do you at least go to the original lodge and ask why ?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Not really , if the IC came back unfavorable and listed as to why . From what I gather from reading other forums , in some jurisdictions a member is not allowed to throw a black ball without informing the Master as to his reasoning anyway .

Also , in my jurisdiction , if I know something about someone I can go to the IC and inform them of it . Has nothing to do with how I voted .

But on that note , if someone knew something that made them unworthy of entry into the Fraternity and threw a black ball ( that is if we are going to trust our brethren) , so in other jurisdictions all they have to do is wait a year and petition elsewhere and get in . I am only curious how they deal with a petitioner who states he has petitioned elsewhere and was rejected .

But , are you saying your ICs' are not allowed to inform the Craft why they found someone unfavorable ? Or a member is not allowed to tell the IC about a petitioner's past indiscretions and in turn the Craft ? I am only curious here .

ETA: I can see the pros and cons when it comes to this . One lodge's standards may be so strict that they hold every little thing against a man . But then again , another lodge's standards may be so lax that they allow just about anyone in just to pad their bank account .

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I was chair of the IC for a man who was rejected from a Lodge in a different Jurisdiction. I called the secretary and master of that lodge and asked. Neither had any idea and both were surprised at his rejection.

He's now one of our lodge ambassadors and a very active brother.

arcxjo

Goat Jockey
We can (and are supposed to) bring any potential objection to the IC, who in turn is to report it to the DDGM to rule on if the objection is Masonically valid, but in the end, the IC only returns a favourable or unfavourable report. If it's unfavourable, then the petition is rejected without a need for a ballot (which would be a waste of time anyhow, since you at that point have possibly 4 or more different brethren ready to BB), but it's considered unmasonic conduct to divulge either how you or another brother voted or what info was brought to the IC/DDGM.

The biggest advantage of such a setup is it does the most to protect the internal peace and harmony of the lodge. If objections were being made publicly (or at least, on the floor of open lodge) and open to debate -- or worse, subject to gossip -- the potential to divide a lodge down the middle over a petitioner would be too high. However, by allowing 3 IC members, the WM, and DDGM to each operate within the bounds of their own consciences, subject to the confidential counsel of only a few learned brethren, the petitioner's recommenders may be upset, but at least it won't be with Bro. (Insertnamehere).