Religious belief

Green-Moo

FreeMasonry is a non religious organisation, the membership criteria being a belief in a Supreme Being rather than God. Theoretically, it should therefore attract members from all religions. So does your Lodge actually represent a cross section of your community in terms of religious belief?

cemab4y

Masonry is a non-denominational, non-sectarian, inter-faith organization. Men of many different religious backgrounds and faiths participate. I have assisted a Muslim, in joining our fraternity (In Washington DC). Roman Catholics, Baptists, Hindus, Buddists, etc. all join our fraternity.

chocoguy

I think that anyone can join this masonry as long as they can do the job. They can believe on any religion as long as it will not affect their job.

RoughAshlar

I think that anyone can join this masonry as long as they can do the job. They can believe on any religion as long as it will not affect their job.

Freemasonry, despite its origins and our "work" is not a job. It is a fraternity, and the work a guidline for making ourselves better men. Religon is not necessary, a belief in a supreme being is all that is required.

The only exception to this that I am aware of is the Chivalric Orders, which do require members to either be Christians or to agree to defend the Christian Faith.

cemab4y

In lodge meetings, discussions of religion and politics are "taboo". Discussions of this nature, and forbidden, so that peace and harmony can prevail.

Men of many different religions, and political backgrounds, meet in Masonry as brothers and equals. No individual is superior to any other man.

Masons are encouraged to participate in the religion of their choice, and to be active in supporting their governments, and in civic affairs.

Abot

If it really is so. Then how do you manage to raise the funds? No help can be done without money. and what about the workers? Do they work for free? I mean in their spare times?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
If it really is so. Then how do you manage to raise the funds? No help can be done without money. and what about the workers? Do they work for free? I mean in their spare times?
I really don't see what you mean by your post . We raise funds for our charities by having fund raisers . Members donate their own money , and their time when they have it to spare . Some money from the dues we pay to our different appendant bodies in Masonry go to charities .

Is this what your looking for ?

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I am in agreement with Ashlar, If that is what you are looking for then, you have the answer, if it is not, we would need to know what are you looking for. Fundraisers are performed by the members, there is no payment for working at these fund raisers. The monies are for charitable purposes and are given to deserving individuals and groups without expectation of reimbursement.

Rolez

Hey I had the same question in mind, I even asked it in some other thread. Glad to get an answer here . Thanks Guys!

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
To answer the original question, I've never brought up religion with members, as it is not allowed. To be even more blunt, I just don't care what my Brothers religion is.

With that said, the few people whose religion I do know are of Christian faith.