Revitalizing and sustaining the membership

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
I am doing a survey this next YR meeting and I want some input from all of you.

What brought you into the YR? What interested you? What did you expect when you first joined?

What would you change or improve?

I am doing a survey this next YR meeting and I want some input from all of you.
Ok, even though I am normally bashful, I guess I can speak up.:1-wink-grin:

What brought you into the YR?
I met a few Companions and they never pressured me and only asked the questions I had....
What interested you?
Many things.... historical and religious to name a few
What did you expect when you first joined?
I really didnt know what to expect but I grew to really respect the Companions I had met prior to joining and felt like they would be good role models for me.

What would you change or improve?
What I dont like is that the YR is made up of three bodies and adds three additional dues each year..... if it was combined into one dues price but still separate groupings (Chapter, Council, Commandery). Other than that, I dont know of anything I would change.... BTW, I am only RA as of know.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
@ Fireman : "Ok, even though I am normally bashful, I guess I can speak up."

If you want to be taken seriously , you should not start your post with a lie , LOL . J/K

Now...

What brought you into the YR? I sat back and watched and listened to older brethren who were not in just one or the other Rites , but in both . I also looked into who were YR Masons and how serious they were about Masonry . And I asked those who were in both Rites , including a few who are 33rds , which they liked the best and they always answered "the York Rite" . After a few years in both Rites myself , I can safely say that I like the YR better also .

What interested you? The Royal Arch degree (well the Chapter degrees in general) is what interested me in the YR . After much studying , it just seemed like the proper and natural progression after the Master Mason degree . Also , we went through the degrees over a three/four month period , so we had time to soak them in and reflect on them and not be rushed around , then handed a book , told congrats and off you go . And it meets locally so I could be an active member .

What did you expect when you first joined? Answers , which I did receive . I had my forehead slapping moments as I went through the Chapter degrees , I actually received some chuckles during the degree work because I would make comments (pertaining to the Craft lodge and the Chapter degrees) while going through the degrees . Loved the Cryptic degrees . And awed by the Orders , absolutely beautiful . The Royal Arch , Super Ex and Order of the Temple are three of the most beautiful degrees in all of Freemasonry , including both Rites , when done properly .

What would you change or improve? getting rid of All the inspections , members tire of the Grand Line having nothing better to do than hound us about opening/closing and degree ritual inspections . It gets old having to do this EVERY year and scares off Companions/Sir Knights who would make fine officers . We spend more time practicing and preparing for inspections than actually learning about Freemasonry . Some of us quit worrying about them altogether , because what are they going to do , fire us ? Arrest our Charter(s) ? No , because they , like all the other bodies , do not want to lose those dues coming in . I am HP this year and can care less about the points .

jaya

I am not a member of the YR and I will tell you why. I looked at both the SR and YR. One thing that hit me right off was that it was difficult to find information from the YR website. I contacted the local YR and met with them. I found out they do not have enough active to do the degrees and send new members to Johnson City, TN once a year to get the degrees. That was 10 months away and on my birthday. Talking to some, I was told they do not have much more than required to open. To me, this is very sad as it seems I would love the YR. I would consider joining at another YR and affiliateing with the local group. I will probably join in a couple years but right now I am happy in my blue lodge and the SR. Both are active.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
This is one of the problems though , Many look at the YR , see some struggling so they head off to the SR . .

It just may be that there will be no YR for you to join in a couple of years in your area .

jaya

I went SR because they are active and did not have to wait 10 months. It did not hut that the SR meets at my blue lodge about a mile from my house. The YR is only about 25 minutes away. They used to meet in the same building but the SR decided to move out due to economic reasons. It was the SR temple to start with and a few other groups met there. The building needs a ton of work but it is slowly being done. I do not have the time needed to devote to the YR right now due to my other commitments. If I were to join, I would have to wait at least a year now due to them going elsewhere and it was last Saturday and this Saturday. I do want to do the degrees but will not take any position other than what I am doing in the blue lodge or SR.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
@ Jaya , My post was not an attack (or really even aimed ) at you . After talking with YR Masons across my state , the YR is slowly dying off . SR Masons in my area HAMMER new Masons with petitions(I mean shoving petitions in candidates hands before they are even Raised ) . And the YR is withering away in my state and it is frustrating . It will not be long that many YR bodies will be gone and that is a lot of history that will disappear . My YR bodies are doing alright for now , but our petitions are starting to flow to a trickle , we went from 20 or more petitions a year to a mere handful .

As I said , it is just frustrating to see something I love dying .