Rings

Winter

I've been here before
Not at all. Overt Masonic paraphernalia seems to be a North American phenomenon. Many of the fraternity seem to keep their membership private. This isn't a rule of course, just something I've noticed in my travels.
It is a North American phenomena. Although it is seen more in other places than it would have been just a few years ago. My thinking is the reason is because the US has, 1) a culture that allows and protects people who are engaging in group activities and, 2) most Americans really don't care about fraternities.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
So they just for looks?
What , are you asking if our wearing of Masonic rings is just for looks ?

If so , then no . Well maybe for some , but most wear them so they will be recognized by other brothers when out . Some wear them to show the world that they are proud Masons and so on and so forth . I very seldom wear my ring anymore . I will put it on when I am dressed up or going to lodge , but I think it looks funny wearing an expensive gold ring in ratty shorts , tank top and flip flops or ratty old blue jeans and a novelty t-shirt .

Winter

I've been here before
And I wear my ring whenever I am awake and feel naked without it. I wear mine for the same reasons a married man wears his wedding band. As a symbol of my bond.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
And I wear my ring whenever I am awake and feel naked without it. I wear mine for the same reasons a married man wears his wedding band. As a symbol of my bond.
Just to be clear I meant to say , I think it looks funny on me , not everyone else . I just no longer wear my ring with the exception of what I described above . One of the reasons I stopped wearing it and other identifiers is how some of these members greet me when in public such as yelling out across crowded stores "Hey there GM Hiram , it is good to see you thus far !" . And other such examples that puts me in awkward positions in front of non-Masons .

ETA : I would go back to wearing items of clothing , my ring and identifiers on my truck if some members learned to control themselves when in public . Such as stop yelling out across crowded stores , giving me a grip in front of my wife , all the while she is looking at our hands (as she always does when I meet a Brother I know because she wants to see if I will give something away) and I am left to play it off . Men pulling up beside my truck , thinking a man is driving my truck but it is my wife , and giving the due guard and penalty sign of an EA and I am yet again left to play dumb when questioned by my wife or tooting their horn three times as they pass me on the road scaring the ever loving crap out of me .

And I did not mean to quote you Winter , but my earlier post .

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member

I do the same, but am unable to wear it right now due to swelling in my hand post surgery.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Wearing a ring is not required and is a personal decision. I wear mine almost all the time. At this stage, James, you should not be thinking about getting or wearing a ring as even the least expensive of them will cause harm to your family financially. You do not want to take food off the table to put a ring on your finger especially when you have not earned the privilege of wearing it.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
James,

I think he meant his comments as words of caution is all. All too often, we see those who in their excitement for the fraternity go out and purchase car emblems, rings, hats, etc that display titles that they havent earned yet.