Rosslyn Chapel

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
What are your thoughts on this place? Do you think any secrets are really hidden there? Do you believe the chamber under the Chapel is filled with hidden treasure or just the burial place of the family?

accer

I'm going to cast a vote for it being a burial place and nothing more. But I could of ocurse be wrong. It just seems to be that with so many theories someone should have found something worth knowing about by now.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Well the problem is that they are repairing the Chapel. They are using the funds from all the people who do think something is there to do all the repairs. If they do not find anything, they loose the visitors. And if they do find something, the traffic will increase to a possible point of doing more damage.

ncjwr

i also think it is simply a burial chapel. oral history becomes greater when passed from generation to generation...of course the more traffic that goes through...the more money for the local economy.

but, you never know

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I've only ever seen the chapel in documentaries about the Knights Templar. The ornate carvings and the architecture is outstanding. I hope that the repairing of the chapel doesn't detract from the original majesty of the work. As far finding something there, I kinda hope it doesn't happen just to preserve the mystic of that solemn place.

PM#232

dustin.andrews

I've only ever seen the chapel in documentaries about the Knights Templar. The ornate carvings and the architecture is outstanding. I hope that the repairing of the chapel doesn't detract from the original majesty of the work. As far finding something there, I kinda hope it doesn't happen just to preserve the mystic of that solemn place.

PM#232
I agree. I hope they can repair the chapel, but only with the thought that it done historically correct. I don't mean go out and hand make everything but don't touch whats not crumbling. I would assume the chamber is/was a burial chamber. I would also assume as with most ancient Temples, that the place did have some kind of hidden messages. Probably to point people in a certain direction for meetings or something but a message none the less. I would also go so far as to say that the message is probably not in words (if its there). Just a thought and my two cents, but I have never been there and I would love to go. And I thank God every day that we are allowed to meet in public.

Bluetemplar

I think Rosslyn has more to offer masonically than having anything really to do with the Templars. The story surrounding the murdered apprentice is a neat one, however the carvings and marks left by the builders is really nothing new in terms of similar religious structures. Cathedrals from Notre Dame and St Pauls jave masons marks on the stone, along with gargoyles, nightmare faces, skulls, and a host of other figures which are not necessarily unique to Rosslyn and is rather typical of buildings from that time period.

I will leave it at that, hopefully as in most things the truth could be far more interesting than the fiction. Right now its being preserved and hopefully will be around for centuries to come.

jaya

Our SW is married to a decedent of St. Clair of the Rosslyn Chapel. Very distant, but still a decedent.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
"Order a Kit
The Participation Kit costs U.S. $99.95 (plus shipping and handling and tax if applicable). "

I'm curious, but not $100 curious!

S&F
I'll save you the $100. Scientists say that we all share similar DNA, and that being a migratory species, we are related.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I'll save you the $100. Scientists say that we all share similar DNA, and that being a migratory species, we are related.
That sums it up, it also tells you were your DNA migrated, which i mywife's case cleared up a long time family question of where in Europe her mother's family came from. Overlaid that map with a map from the 1800s and Waalaa! :1-say-yes:

nevburt

Perhaps we are all related but some are more related than others. Certainly being English I am closer to my Mother in blood than to the nice Chinese couple that live down the road. Lets say we are all related... does that demand a replacement for our term of "Brother" to describe one Masons relationship to another? And... my table is now way too small to have family round for Christmas.

Winter

I've been here before
I highly recommend anyone to take part in the NG Genographic Project. It is very interesting when you get the data. Although, it may be so interesting to me as an anthropologist! LoL

And related or not only depends on your definition. How far do you extend your idea of family? Fifteenth cousins? Are you related to your adopted sister even though there is no genetic attachment? Family is an idea, not genetics. And the sooner we broaden that definition, the better we'll all be. ;)