Scientist Warns Massive Asteroid Could Hit Earth in 2182

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
A large asteroid in space that has a remote chance of slamming into the Earth would be most likely hit in 2182, if it crashed into our planet at all, a new study suggests.

The asteroid, called 1999 RQ36, has about a 1-in-1,000 chance of actually hitting the Earth, but half of that risk corresponds to potential impacts in the year 2182, said study co-author María Eugenia Sansaturio of the Universidad de Valladolid in Spain.

Sansaturio and her colleagues used mathematical models to determine the risk of asteroid 1999 RQ36 impacting the Earth through the year 2200. They found two potential opportunities for the asteroid to hit Earth in 2182.

The research is detailed in the science journal Icarus.

The asteroid was discovered in 1999 and is about 1,837 feet (560 meters) across. A space rock this size could cause widespread devastation at an impact site in the remote chance that it hit Earth, according to a recent report by the National Academy of Sciences.

more FOXNews.com - Scientist Warns Massive Asteroid Could Hit Earth in 2182

sukie

I read about this in the local newspaper. I wonder if anyone is actually doing anything about it. I also wonder whether any of this data has been exaggerated by the media as they like a drama and are frequently to be found inciting panic for no reason!