News Scientists Find Magnetic Rope Source For Solar Storms

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Scientists at George Mason University discovered that a phenomenon called a giant magnetic rope is the source for solar storms.
The researchers made the discovery by using images from the NASA Solar Dynamic Observatory (SDO) spacecraft.
Scientists had previously been unable to prove that the magnetic rope was the cause of solar storms.
However, using images taken by the Atmospheric Imaging Assembly (AIA) telescope aboard the SDO, the team was able to pinpoint an area of the sun where a magnetic rope was forming. The AIA telescope suite is able to capture images of the Sun every 10 seconds, 24 hours a day.

more Scientists Find Magnetic Rope Source For Solar Storms - Space News - redOrbit

Winter

I've been here before
I've been reading up on solar flares and solar storms since NASA issued the warning earlier this year that 2012 will most likely see an increased activity and chance for these potentially destructive forces.

A Super Solar Flare - NASA Science

Imagine if everything that used any type of electricity was rendered completely inoperable at the same time around the world.

G

Gary

One huge EMF pulse would cause complete chaos. I'd imagine anything computerized would be toast(cars included).