Scientists find sea sponges share human genes

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
SYDNEY (AFP) – Mankind may be descended from apes but Australian scientists have found proof of links much closer to the sea floor, with a study revealing that sea sponges share almost 70 percent of human genes.
Genetic sequencing of sea sponges from the World Heritage-listed Great Barrier Reef showed the ancient marine animal shared many of its genes with humans, including a large number typically associated with disease and cancer.
Lead researcher Bernard Degnan, of the University of Queensland, said the findings "would shed light on a whole range of different things," and could lay the foundation for breakthroughs in cancer and stem cell research.
"Sponges have what's (considered) the 'Holy Grail' of stem cells," Degnan told AFP.

more Scientists find sea sponges share human genes - Yahoo! News

Tensolator

If I'm not mistaken we also share DNA with bananas. If the four amino acids that make up our DNA are universal this wouldn't be to amazing. I love scince, but I think sometimes scientists mke a lot of "leaps" that they asssume the rest of us will take for granted.

intent

Spounges

I suppose now that I know that there is a link between the sea sponge and humans some things make sense. For example sponge bob square pants doesn't seem so silly.

Rick

LOL!! Yeah, we share a lot of genes with apes too which explains my hairy brother!:p I think they think of things wayyyyyy too much. If scientists had their way we would still be thinking that the world was flat and we'd all be living in Spain/France/UK too!

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Genes in Sea Sponges

How do they get into the legs of the jeans? I didn't think they had legs!
Do you know how to tell the difference between a boy chromosome and a girl chromosome?

wait for it...

pull down their genes! :D

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
This really is not a very new theory. Over 10 years ago I watched a tv special about this. All land animals share certain gene pairs with sponges that they do not share with fish or other aquatic non-mammals. So, one highly disputed theory is that all land animals (including insects) evolved from sponges. I, too, believe that some land animals evolved from sponges (there are some in my family, even) while others seem to have much more in common with sharks (attorneys, f'rinstance) and sea slugs.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Anyone watch fringe?? Seems the question is a bit off topic, but anyhow here is my connection. The character Dr. Walter Bishop just said on that show that Humans share 50% of their DNA with a Banana. Or more pointedly, Banana's and Humans have 50% of their DNA in common. Go figure, peel back the skin and we are all mushy and sweet in the middle :D

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Anyone watch fringe?? Seems the question is a bit off topic, but anyhow here is my connection. The character Dr. Walter Bishop just said on that show that Humans share 50% of their DNA with a Banana. Or more pointedly, Banana's and Humans have 50% of their DNA in common. Go figure, peel back the skin and we are all mushy and sweet in the middle :D
Given that we are all built from the same 'stuff' (Gen. 1) it stands to reason that we would share DNA.

To the peel back the skin: I'll need to pick up a nice bottle of Chianti.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Hmm. You may be on to something there. I once read that the British military in Africa interviewed members of a cannibal tribe. Per them, "A well cooked white man tastes like a ripe banana."