Scottish or York Rite

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I chose the York Rite branch of freemasonry. I am quite interested in the York Rite masonry with the bodies of the
1. Royal Arch Chapter
2. Council of Royal and Select Master Masons
3. Order of the Knights Templar

I truely enjoyed receiving all of the associated degrees within these bodies and receiving the additional enlightenment.

I would strongly suggest these bodies to all master masons, and a side note, if your area has a degree team to confer the Council of Royal and Select Master Masons degree, I would suggest receiving it that way. It is quite awe inspiring.

mystangs

I chose York Rite for the simple fact that the Templars are what started me on my Masonic Journey. Plus the fact that it is the religious arm of Masonary also inspired me.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I mulled it over for months , debating on which Rite was for me . My first reason was , which can I be more active in . Since the York Rite temple is a 3 minute drive from my house and the Scottish Rite is a 3 hour drive or more made the YR more appealling . Then I found out that the YR's degree work was alot like Blue Lodge work , and I love degree work , so there was another big plus , I could take a more active part during degrees . I didn't want to set and watch it put on .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I am now in both Rites . I really enjoyed the work in the Scottish Rite , very meaningful and beautiful work , but I have to admit that I still like the York Rite better .

RoughAshlar

I've chosen the York Rite, mainly because I want to follow in my Grandfathers footsteps through masonry. But, also because of my intrest in the Knights Templar. I may eventually join the Scottish Rite aswell, but not until I have more free time.

Smokey613

I chose the York Rite for the same reasons posted above. We have a local Y/R and the nearest S/R is 2 hours away. If that changes, I may join it too, but for now I am kept busy between Blue Lodge and the York Rite.

cemab4y

I chose the SR of Masonry, because I was living in Washington DC, and a man I really respected, invited me to participate. I took the SR at the Alexandria VA valley. I enjoyed it immensely. I have participated only slightly in SR Masonry, I am "on-call" to assist with the degree teams, should anyone need me, sort of "designated hitter". I have written three articles for the SR journal.

Many of my friends are YR masons, I may take the YR experience in the future.

mndane

I just joined the S.R. My reason being they support the Rite clinic, which is the field my wife work in. yes she did pressure me a little bit to pick it over Y. R.
It is also the rite that most of my brothers in the blue lodge belong to so my choice:) was easy.

Darrel

York or Scottish

I just filled out a petition for the York Rite bodies. I had intended to eventually join anyway, but we happened to be at the lodge for another function when the Social Order of the Beauciant? was meeting. They wanted my wife as a member and the next thing I knew, some of the husbands there had given me a petition. I will probably join the Scottish Rite next year.

RoughAshlar

I've recently developed an interest in the theater, so Im considering the SR. Although Im quite busy in lodge and chapter...

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I've recently developed an interest in the theater, so Im considering the SR. Although Im quite busy in lodge and chapter...
You can spread yourself to thin and quickly I might add . You can also use your interest in theater to help put on those degrees in the YR and Blue Lodge. It's nice when degrees are put on with some flare and panache rather than in a monotone , robotic voice along with those giving the lectures standing there with their arms hanging at their sides like statues .

dewwby

Both for me.....each body expand on the teachings of Freemasonry and has their own paths. I enjoy both and the degrees in each rite are both dramatic and very well represented....they have similarities as well.

gunner391

I am very active in York Rite (Past TIM, sitting High Priest, Captain General, etc.). In my opinion, both are necessary to round out one's Masonic education. My friends who are in both have told me that, without the York Rite, they would not understand many of the Scottish Rite degrees.

jeanlee411

I mulled it over for months , debating on which Rite was for me . My first reason was , which can I be more active in . Since the York Rite temple is a 3 minute drive from my house and the Scottish Rite is a 3 hour drive or more made the YR more appealling . Then I found out that the YR's degree work was alot like Blue Lodge work , and I love degree work , so there was another big plus , I could take a more active part during degrees . I didn't want to set and watch it put on .

leenco12

I chose the York Rite branch of freemasonry. I am quite interested in the York Rite masonry with the bodies of the
1. Royal Arch Chapter
2. Council of Royal and Select Master Masons
3. Order of the Knights Templar

I truely enjoyed receiving all of the associated degrees within these bodies and receiving the additional enlightenment.

I would strongly suggest these bodies to all master masons, and a side note, if your area has a degree team to confer the Council of Royal and Select Master Masons degree, I would suggest receiving it that way. It is quite awe inspiring.
I chose York Rite for the simple fact that the Templars are what started me on my Masonic Journey. Plus the fact that it is the religious arm of Masonary also inspired me.

Firemason

Scottish Rite for me. We have a large Scottish Rite center that I used to see from the road, pretty frequently, while I was growing up. I had always wondered what it was. Now I know. Also, when I joined, I wasn't even aware that we had York Rite in my area. I heard people talk about Royal Arch, but I didn't know what it was. I don't think they have their own building. I'm not sure. I intend to go the York Rite route eventually, but joining all the groups can get really expensive :D , plus I can't afford to own my own tuxedo.

G

Gary

Scottish Rite for me. We have a large Scottish Rite center that I used to see from the road, pretty frequently, while I was growing up. I had always wondered what it was. Now I know. Also, when I joined, I wasn't even aware that we had York Rite in my area. I heard people talk about Royal Arch, but I didn't know what it was. I don't think they have their own building. I'm not sure. I intend to go the York Rite route eventually, but joining all the groups can get really expensive :D , plus I can't afford to own my own tuxedo.
Who needs a tuxedo? Do what I'm gonna do...just show up in your bunker gear and a bow tie...:D