Should Masons have firearms?

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
I was talking with some of the men at my Lodge about our upcoming shooting event. This lead to hearing that a lot of the brother who attended 10 years ago stopped when Ohio began to allow CCW. This wasn't because they didn't like what the State of Ohio did, but what I'm told the GL unofficially announced. According to the Brothers, the "Golden Line" said that in pursuit of of peace, harmony and Brotherly Love, Masons shouldn't carry firearms around lawfully or not.

I wasn't here to hear it for sure and I have a few OH Brother here, also the Veteran Brothers whom I wasn't able to join, or the GOB/ outdoorsmen.

I have my license to carry concealed as does my wife, and about 85% of her family. I think I might be biased.

Plenty of LEO are Brothers....not to mention Military Brethren......I can not see why lawfully owning a firearm would be an issue....now if ya said no guns in the lodge...I can agree with that.

G

Gary

In the U.S, we have something called the second amendment.

Legislation was also presented at our GL to prohibit firearms in the Lodge. It was overwhelmingly defeated. We don't carry in our Lodges as a common practice, but even if we did it's no ones business. We check our guns at the door like they did in the old west... ;)

Being a Mason does not exempt me from my constitutional right to bear arms.

Molōn labe!

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
In the U.S, we have something called the second amendment.

Legislation was also presented at our GL to prohibit firearms in the Lodge. It was overwhelmingly defeated. We don't carry in our Lodges as a common practice, but even if we did it's no ones business. We check our guns at the door like they did in the old west... ;)

Being a Mason does not exempt me from my constitutional right to bear arms.

Molōn labe!
That's the stance most of us take. We have a room with a safe where we keep them locked up duing meetings. At least those who open carry (LEO's) or some leav them in their cars. A lot of the Lodges have the no carry sign up as well so it prevents the guns in Lodge

CoachN

Builder Builder
Sounds like a political view being expressed in the guise of Masonic philosophy. I don't buy it.

I suggest keeping your weapons out of lodge. I'm not overly opinionated on the subject. I own a couple of shot guns and a rifle, but no handguns.

wisniewskim

In PA, firearms are not allowed inside Masonic Centers except by police, and then only for cause. There is nothing wrong with Masons having, using firearms outside Lodge functions. Our Shrine, in fact, has a Gun Club for target shooters like me, and a monthly trap shoot.

G

Gary

I suggest keeping your weapons out of lodge. I'm not overly opinionated on the subject. I own a couple of shot guns and a rifle, but no handguns.

And why would you suggest that? No offense brother, but you are opinionated on the subject by making that statement. I'm not offended by it, I'm just making an observation.

edwmax

Of course, ... how else is one supposed to start a Revolution and overthrow government that tax us without representation. Or defend one's self from thugs, muggers, murders & other low-life non-Masons. .... I don't know about you, but I'm too old to go one-on-one with them. Just shoot'm dead & leave the sorry-ass body for the Cops.

I have a permit & I carry.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Of course, ... how else is one supposed to start a Revolution and overthrow government that tax us without representation. Or defend one's self from thugs, muggers, murders & other low-life non-Masons. .... I don't know about you, but I'm too old to go one-on-one with them. Just shoot'm dead & leave the sorry-ass body for the Cops.

I have a permit & I carry.
So GA does have carry permits? I know they don't have mutual recognition, as of about six months ago, with OH.

edwmax

I've had a carry permit for more than 30 years. I'm not sure about Ohio, but Georgia does have reciprocal agreements with a number of States. .. I understand one could get and out-of-state permit from which would get recognition to abt 39 states. Florida also has an out-of-state permit.

G

Gary

Florida has an out of state permit, but in states like Georgia, there are exclusions. For example, I can carry a taser in Florida but it is illegal in Georgia.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
I've had a carry permit for more than 30 years. I'm not sure about Ohio, but Georgia does have reciprocal agreements with a number of States. .. I understand one could get and out-of-state permit from which would get recognition to abt 39 states. Florida also has an out-of-state permit.
Florida has an out of state permit, but in states like Georgia, there are exclusions. For example, I can carry a taser in Florida but it is illegal in Georgia.
I have been to a gun show where they where informing about the FL licenses and the larger list of States in brought with it.

My wife's grandfather goes around GA when he heads to FL just incase because he has his Ohio CCW.

edwmax

NRA-ILA :: State Gun Laws (click on State)
NRA-ILA :: Reciprocity And Recognition (click on State)

Georgia does not require a permit if transported in a private vehicle in the 'open' or in the glove box. ... So I see no reason for anyone to drive around Georgia just because their CWP is not recognized.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
NRA-ILA :: State Gun Laws (click on State)
NRA-ILA :: Reciprocity And Recognition (click on State)

Georgia does not require a permit if transported in a private vehicle in the 'open' or in the glove box. ... So I see no reason for anyone to drive around Georgia just because their CWP is not recognized.
Hmmmm. Idk. I'll have to ask him about that. Thank for the info. Just found out today from the WM that our District Officers Association wants to have a bring your CCW to Lodge night. WOW.

And why would you suggest that? No offense brother, but you are opinionated on the subject by making that statement. I'm not offended by it, I'm just making an observation.
I guess my thoughts on keeping them out of lodge is not an opinion on firearms, but on the sanctity of lodge. Why would one need to bring an offensive weapon into a place of brotherly love. Hopefully, one doesn't need one for defensive purposes in there either.

G

Gary

I guess my thoughts on keeping them out of lodge is not an opinion on firearms, but on the sanctity of lodge. Why would one need to bring an offensive weapon into a place of brotherly love. Hopefully, one doesn't need one for defensive purposes in there either.
For the same reason that it's acceptable for a LEO to walk into a church packing his weapon. I agree that the need for defense "inside" the Lodge should not be necessary. It's when you leave the Lodge that you may find you need it. If it's in your car, you are out of luck.

I see no problems packing....maybe not in the Lodge room.....you know I kinda heard something about offensive weapons not in the lodge....if ya wanna pack, bring a safe for the "public area and leave the pea shooters there until after the labor is done. IF you have a lodge where the Brothers can have a adult beverage....then ABSOLUTELY no weapons if you partake.

For the same reason that it's acceptable for a LEO to walk into a church packing his weapon. I agree that the need for defense "inside" the Lodge should not be necessary. It's when you leave the Lodge that you may find you need it. If it's in your car, you are out of luck.
This topic didn't start with regards to LEOs. They're sworn to protect and serve. I have no problem with them carrying lawfully anytime, including lodge. Regular guys like me??? I prefer we don't have weapons in lodge. But, like I first stated, I'm not opinionated enough that I'd make a fuss if someone did. Maybe if I lived in a more dangerous place, I'd feel differently, but in Owatonna, I think a civilian can leave his gun locked in his car outside of lodge without taking significant risk. I'm not a gun hater, I do enjoy hunting and shooting for fun/sport.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
[snip] According to the Brothers, the "Golden Line" said that in pursuit of of peace, harmony and Brotherly Love, Masons shouldn't carry firearms around lawfully or not.[snip]
I think that an overall discussion of whether Masons should apply for CCH (Concealed Carry-Handgun, as we call it in NC) makes as much sense as saying we shouldn't eat bananas, because it make us look like monkeys. No sense at all.

Additionally, on having places where even properly trained and vetted citizens cannot carry CCH:
How many of the mass shootings in the USA have you heard of in places where guns are prohibited?
All of them!
Do you think a murderer is worried about a law???

It's literally the same as shooting fish in a barrel. A large target population of defenseless people.

S&F