*sigh* corn

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Went and worked on the garden a little bit this morning. My corn which is roughly a foot tall is already being attacked by bugs. I tried planting marigolds and cucumbers around it to help with that. I have an inline doohickey for the sprinkler system in the garden that I add mild dish soap once or twice a week, and add seven once a week. And the bugs are still getting through to the corn. Everything else seems ok so far. Disappointing though. The family really loves corn, but it looks like growing it may cost more then buying it at this point.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I have bug problems (June Bugs and bag worms) with my roses . I used to use Seven Dust but it no longer stops them . I believe the grow immune to all these poisons and tricks .

I didnt grow any corn this year..... the deer beat the bugs to it when I do. My tomatoes had some kinda blight that turned the bottoms black...the Ag Dept in IN put out a report on it already, it has been a state wide issue

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
A brother's father in my lodge set out 90 tomato plants , they all did GREAT . He has given me more tomatoes than I know what to do with . Luckily I can live off of Tomato sammichs' .

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
I thought it was supposed to be "knee-high by the Fourth of July". Sorry there are 10 huge cornfields within 20 miles so I don't plant.

G

Gary

I have bug problems (June Bugs and bag worms) with my roses . I used to use Seven Dust but it no longer stops them . I believe the grow immune to all these poisons and tricks .
Between the squirrels and the bugs, I have all but given up on a garden. The ants here are obviously immune to any sprays, granules or other tricks.

Jason, was the variety of corn you planted a hybrid? I know some varieties are more resistant to bugs/disease. How are you keeping the squirrels from eating your crop?

I think an electric fence is my only defense against those tree rats. Unfortunately, I don't have the money for one of those fancy set ups right now.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
What does not kill you..................................................
Very true . I dusted and sprayed all my roses to no effect . I ended up cutting them all back earlier than normal , they were all stem , very few leaves and no flowers .

Ashlar.... we cut back the roses this spring and for some reason they have went crazy.... maybe the bugs are on a "mater diet this year....

Bro Gary..... I know how to control the squirrels..... show them a fire engine with the lights on.... that where all the squirrels hang out at in my FD.....:D:p:eek:

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Between the squirrels and the bugs, I have all but given up on a garden. The ants here are obviously immune to any sprays, granules or other tricks.

Jason, was the variety of corn you planted a hybrid? I know some varieties are more resistant to bugs/disease. How are you keeping the squirrels from eating your crop?

I think an electric fence is my only defense against those tree rats. Unfortunately, I don't have the money for one of those fancy set ups right now.
I forget the types, I know one was silver something. I forget what the other one was. I used two different types this time. I have them written down somewhere. Thinking of starting a journal of what I'm planting, when, and with what additives.

As far as squirrels. My dogs will play catch with them. When they catch one, they will swing their head back and forth until they get bored and toss it to the other. And that one will do the same and toss it back. Well, not sure if that is truly why they do not get in the garden. It was a dog run, so there is a 6 foot chain link fence around it.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I thought it was supposed to be "knee-high by the Fourth of July". Sorry there are 10 huge cornfields within 20 miles so I don't plant.
Down here we have a few growing seasons. I will be starting a cooler weather garden around the end of the month. I may even try something over the winter this year. If I can get around to it, I want to build "stair boxes" on one side of the fence for things like strawberries. This would allow me to get a bigger yield in smaller space. And plant things like asparagus and not have to worry about tilling it over.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Ashlar.... we cut back the roses this spring and for some reason they have went crazy.... maybe the bugs are on a "mater diet this year....
I normally cut them back in the Fall when it turns cooler and the sap stops running . In the future I may switch to early spring and see if there is a change in how well they do .