Skunk Ape

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Ok , Jason and GaryE I have a question for you two . I am watching Destination Truth and I want to know , have you two ever seen the Skunk Ape down there in Florida ? It is supposed to be in the Everglades and I am not talking about hairy snow birds running around in Speedos' .

G

Gary

My family goes back 5 or 6 generations as native Floridians. I was born here, and lived here most of my life. The only Skunk Ape I ever saw was the one you described in the Speedo... :D

There are folk tales about Bigfoot down here. My grand father was a mill worker and sawyer for a company that cut cypress way back in the day(40' through 1960's). He spent most of his time in the swamp, and got the nick name "Gator" because he was the only one brave enough to wade out in neck deep water to do the work. He used to tell stories about Bigfoot. Never heard him call the creature Skunk Ape though.

I didn't see the episode you are referring to, but I'm guessing they are one in the same.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Yes , the Skunk Ape is the Big Foot of the Everglades , they call it Skunk ape because it stinks to high heaven supposedly . Watching Destination Truth , I have learned that we have a Big Foot here in Ky. also . This show is just entertainment but I love watching it .

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I did see something strange one time. I was leaving my parents house, which was on some brackish water. I looked over as I normally do, between two houses, towards my fishing spot. In about two feet of water I saw what looked like a Florida Panther. It was too far away to say for sure, but if not it was a funny looking dog.

dubw

Big Foot gets around, there are many reports of sighting in the Appalachians mountains of North Carolina, Tennessee, and Georgia. When camping in Northern Arkansas a few years ago, something stinky sniffed my tent, but when I got up to look it was gone.

G

Gary

I don't think my grandfather ever got close enough to smell whatever it was he saw. Probably a good thing if it stunk that bad!

Jason- I wouldn't be surprised if you saw a Florida panther or Jacurandai. They actually were common in your neck of the woods when I used to live down that way about 20 years ago.

You could hear them howling off in the distance in Golden Acres/Jasmine lakes back in the day. Used to be fairly wooded back then.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
You could hear them howling off in the distance in Golden Acres/Jasmine lakes back in the day. Used to be fairly wooded back then.
Funny you should mention Golden Acres. We put in offer in on a short sale in there. We have been looking there and Tanglewood.

G

Gary

Used to be a pretty nice area. We had 5 acres, and some horses. I would imagine it's developed a lot more since those days. Best of luck on the short sale!

Now...Back to stinky Apes....

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
They had something on the History Cnannel about the Skunk Ape also . Someone had a picture of one which turned out to be a gorilla that had escape a zoo after a hurricane or was turned loose by someone . That is the down side of Florida toward the Everglades , there is so many invasive species of fish and wildlife that can live down there . Snakes being the number one concern . On animal Planet I was watching a special about this and they were showing how cobras are now living in the wild down there .