Sleep tight

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I was kind of surprised this weekend. At the Florida State Fair there is a section called "Cracker Country" that attempts to replicate life in Florida from 1880-1910. One of the tradesmen there created tools with wood. He asked the people watching him if they know what 'Sleep Tight' meant. And not that many people seemed to know. He then explained that beds at that time had rope instead of springs. Every so often you had to tighten the ropes so you do not sag. And proceed to show the tool and explain how it works.

I was sort of surprised not many people know that. But then again I love talking to people like that. I think the wife got bored though, as I must have spent at least an half hour listening to him talk. The blacksmith did not really talk much sadly. Would have loved to learn some of the stuff he was doing.

kblair210

Little interesting facts like that are always fascinating to me. I didn't even realize the fair was in town. I may have to see if I can get the wife & kids to head out there.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I think last weekend was the last weekend for the State Fair.

The Renascence Festival at MOSI started last weekend. I'm planning to go on the 3rd. I believe if I donate blood at the door that weekend I will get free tickets. And I just got notice I can donate again. ;)

Strawberry Festival should be soon too. Except for this year I have never been to any of the three.

kblair210

We were going to head to the ren fest last weekend but the rain on Friday made me think twice about the kids tromping around in the mud all over the place. This weekend is looking better so far.

Blood drive at Clearwater lodge this Saturday, so I wonder if they'll have anything for the ren fest there. You should come find out. :) We have great breakfasts. The WM is even buying breakfast for anyone who donates, I think. (Normally $5)

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
A few weeks ago we went to Mission San Juan Bautista, as my 4th grade son has to do a report on a CA mission. There was a demonstration of the tools being used in the 1700's, when the mission was built. One of the demonstrations included learning how to throw an axe and make it stick in what you wanted to hit.

The cool part was that GEOMETRY (yes, the G word!) was involved. Where you held the axe on the handle was dependent on the distance you were throwing it from.

My wife says that my head is full of useless information- but I think it's cool information.