So the WM said...

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
... here's a little Masonic Philosophy "Which is longer the length of your CT or your Apron cords?"

This was said upon presenting a newly raised MM his apron after returning his exam. I'm not sure if he's being serious or if I now have a new question to ponder.

Inputs?

*Lays out prone, dopes scope on 10/22, starts to load ammo. Sprays squirrel pheromones.*.................... *Gets distracted by chipmunk walking by him*

Oh welp free for all

G

Gary

... here's a little Masonic Philosophy "Which is longer the length of your CT or your Apron cords?"

This was said upon presenting a newly raised MM his apron after returning his exam. I'm not sure if he's being serious or if I now have a new question to ponder.

Inputs?

*Lays out prone, dopes scope on 10/22, starts to load ammo. Sprays squirrel pheromones.*.................... *Gets distracted by chipmunk walking by him*

Oh welp free for all
That depends entirely on the Mason.

Winter

I've been here before
Hopefully it was tongue-in-cheek to imply that a Mason's CT should be vastly longer than his apron strings. No matter how robust the Mason!

This is not to say that I haven't known Bothers who's apron strings were longer than their CT. But that's not humorous.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I see a contemplation and being increasingly a visual/kinetic learner I have a great mental picture to mull over.

edwmax

Inputs?

Oh welp free for all
I don't consider the apron strings to be cabletow. After a Mason has taken the OB, he is released from the physical cabletow by order of the WM. .... The Apron string have another meaning. One which is or almost forgotten. ... I can't go into that here in an open forum.

Apron string and cable tow...... ???? I cant find a significance....I have seen aprons with straps & buckles and custom made ones....ones where one side had a longer string than the other....I am not doubting there may be some sort of symbolic thought in it...maybe Coach will weigh in...and open some eyes..

Winter

I've been here before
I'll have to make a trip to Georgia. I've never heard any symbolism connected with the strings of the aprons, only the apron itself. In fact, most aprons here do not even have strings.

edwmax

I'll have to make a trip to Georgia. I've never heard any symbolism connected with the strings of the aprons, only the apron itself. In fact, most aprons here do not even have strings.
Every part of the Apron has a symbolism. If you look at the descriptions of Aprons, you will find every part described except the strings. ... Further, if you look at the Constitution of the UGLE, you will see the strings (tassels) are required to be on the front on the Apron. If the UGLE when to the trouble to codify the strings/tassels, then there must be a significances. .... But what? I have yet to find any written description of that in regards to the Masonic Apron. ... However, I believe I have realized what the significance is.

There was a call for Coach to weight in. Coach does know what I know and was privy to a Tyled discussion of the symbolism.

edwmax

Apron string and cable tow...... ???? I cant find a significance....I have seen aprons with straps & buckles and custom made ones....ones where one side had a longer string than the other....I am not doubting there may be some sort of symbolic thought in it...maybe Coach will weigh in...and open some eyes..
Many Masons tend to refer to the apron strings as 'cable tow'; more particularly in PHA masonry; or they attribute no meaning to the strings (MS Masonry). However, I feel the cable tow symbolism is incorrect because a Mason is released from his physical cable tow after taking the OB.

A big hint: the symbolism is found in the Bible.

Winter

I've been here before
Those are columns. They represent the B&J. I thought you meant the tassels on the end of the cords to tie the apron on. And it hasa belt, as opposed to a cord.

edwmax

Those are columns. They represent the B&J. I thought you meant the tassels on the end of the cords to tie the apron on. And it hasa belt, as opposed to a cord.
I beg to differ. The UGLE Constitution (sec 265) does not refer to those as 'columns', but specifically as tassels. ... Columns are supported at their base, they do not hang.

Winter

I've been here before
I'll have to look it up when I get home. Just because I've always heard of them referred to that way doesn't make it right! But I've always understood that they represented the columns on the porch of the Temple.

But the belts that secure the apron around the waist make sense that they are referred to as belts (which they are even in the catalogs) since those are specifically different than the cords and tassels on aprons that tie on.

Winter

I've been here before
Here is an interesting read concerning the symbolism of the Masonic Apron:
The apron and its symbolism
Note: This concerns the aprons we wear in the UGLE style, not the American style.

Particularly, scroll down to the section about the Speculative Conceptions of the Apron. The article is great, but this section specifically speaks to the discussion. I really like the part that cautions a Brother from "over symbolizing" the apron. It would appear, that the interpretation I heard was a non-cannon one and the tassels on the front of our apron were most likely just a decorative representation of a time when aprons were still tied about the waist. Although the actual origin of this addition is unknown.

Winter

I've been here before
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.....as quoted from Einstein...I think the original author of it is Groucho Marx....
I thought that was Clinton? LOL

The article has a nice quote about symbolism in the craft:
Unfortunately, this incredibly exaggerated symbolism has been taught for nearly two centuries by many sincere and famous Freemasons, such as Oliver, Paton, Fort Newton and Wilmshurst, who exercised much influence in their time.

Students should, therefore, be on their guard and bear in mind that, in the opinion of modern Masonic scholars, such extremes of speculative interpretation are unacceptable.