South Carolina Shrine Showdown

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I am for it . something needs to be done . The Shrine in my area keeps men who have been suspended for NPD on their roles as nobles . If they do not care that their members are Masons in good standing , then they need to do away with the Masonic requirement altogether .

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I could not read the letter. The typeface was too small when scanned, and when enlarged the webpage (using ctrl+) it became more and more indistinct.
Can someone direct me to a page where the typeface is as readable as this site?

S&F

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
I found that if I double clicked on the image it opened up larger and then I was able to use CNTRL + in order to read the letter.

Winter

I've been here before
You can also right click on the letter and "open in new tab" to get a more readable version.

cemab4y

The situation in Arkansas is very sad. Basically, a man who was the potentate of the Shrine center (temple) in Arkansas was expelled from Arkansas Masonry. The man was still a Mason in good standing in Iowa. He continued to be a Shriner. The GM of Masons in Ark, has declared the Shrine to be "un-Masonic" in Arkansas. No Arkansas Mason can participate in the Shrine. The imperial potentate is going to assist Arkansas Masons in finding a Masonic lodge outside of Arkansas, so they can continue to participate in the Shrine in Arkansas.

see

http://www.frequency.com/video/imperial-potent/69443999

Winter

I've been here before
What is sad us that the IP thinks he can continue breaking the rules by helping Masons there find a new Lodge.

cemab4y

What rules are the Imperial Potentate breaking? He has bent over backwards to resolve the situation (in Arkansas), peacefully. The Shrine only requires that Nobles be a MM in good standing. You can belong to a lodge in one state, and belong to a Shrine center in a different state. Since the GM of Masons in Arkansas has chosen to expel any Masons who participate in the Shrine from Arkansas Masonry, this seems like a good compromise.

1- The GM of Masons in Arkansas can declare the Shrine 'un-Masonic'.
2- The GM can expel any Arkansas Mason from Arkansas Masonry.
3- Masons can reside in Arkansas and belong to a lodge out of state. (I reside in Virginia, and belong to lodges in KY and Mass)
4- Arkansas Masons can also participate in the Shrine, and not be in violation of any Arkansas rules or edicts, since they are not Arkansas Masons.

Seems like a win-win-win for all concerned.

jaya

By allowing members that have been suspended from their BL for NPD but allowing them to be members in the shrine. If they are dropped for NPD, then they are NOT in good standing. Read the letter from the GM of SC.

Winter

I've been here before
What rules are the Imperial Potentate breaking? He has bent over backwards to resolve the situation (in Arkansas), peacefully. The Shrine only requires that Nobles be a MM in good standing. You can belong to a lodge in one state, and belong to a Shrine center in a different state. Since the GM of Masons in Arkansas has chosen to expel any Masons who participate in the Shrine from Arkansas Masonry, this seems like a good compromise.
1- The GM of Masons in Arkansas can declare the Shrine 'un-Masonic'.
2- The GM can expel any Arkansas Mason from Arkansas Masonry.
3- Masons can reside in Arkansas and belong to a lodge out of state. (I reside in Virginia, and belong to lodges in KY and Mass)
4- Arkansas Masons can also participate in the Shrine, and not be in violation of any Arkansas rules or edicts, since they are not Arkansas Masons.
Seems like a win-win-win for all concerned.
How is he not breaking the rules? The man was expelled from Arkansas Masonry. The Shrine has been showing how much it is chafing being an "Appendant" body and do not consider themselves subordinate to Craft Masonry. The stunt pulled by the Shrine in Arkansas and other places is despicable.

cemab4y

I am not satisfied that the IP is breaking any Arkansas rule. First, the expulsion of the mason in question, was bogus, and based on a "kangaroo court". The man was expelled from Arkansas Masonry. The GL of Iowa (rightly) refused to accept the expulsion, and apply it to Iowa Masonry. Therefore the man is still a Mason IN GOOD STANDING, in Iowa.

Since the regulations of the Imperial Shrine state only that a Shriner must be a Master Mason in good standing (which he is). Then he can be an Iowa Mason, and participate in the Shrine in Arkansas.

This appears to be a just and amicable solution. The Grand Master of Masons in Arkansas has had the man expelled from Arkansas Masonry. Everyone gets what they want.

arcxjo

Goat Jockey
By allowing members that have been suspended from their BL for NPD but allowing them to be members in the shrine. If they are dropped for NPD, then they are NOT in good standing.
... which the Shrine does not do. (Okay, maybe there's a Shrine in SC that does, but every Shrine function I've ever attended made me show a Shrine and BL dues card at the door. If you only have the former, you're not allowed in.)

Or do you believe that every brother who has a financial hardship towards the end of the year and is a week late with his BL dues should be summarily decreed non grata?

Winter

I've been here before
... which the Shrine does not do. (Okay, maybe there's a Shrine in SC that does, but every Shrine function I've ever attended made me show a Shrine and BL dues card at the door. If you only have the former, you're not allowed in.)

Or do you believe that every brother who has a financial hardship towards the end of the year and is a week late with his BL dues should be summarily decreed non grata?
If you have been keeping up with current events you will know that the Shrine, in multiple jurisdictions, HAS been keeping members in good standing who have been removed from the Masonic rolls even after they were warned by the GM of that jurisdiction. And the Shrine has released videos that state categorically that they are an autonomous organization and not subject to Masonic law.

This is getting to out of hand I hope this gets cleared up soon. But if don't they decide to no longer be Masonic body does that mean that masons will have to leave the shrine?

cemab4y

This is getting to out of hand I hope this gets cleared up soon. But if don't they decide to no longer be Masonic body does that mean that masons will have to leave the shrine?
I cannot predict the future in SC. You may want to take a look at the situation in Arkansas. There are some parallels. The GM in SC could (conceivably) declare the Shrine to be "un-masonic" in SC. Then all SC masons would have to leave the Shrine.

In Ark, all references to the Shrine have had to be removed from Ark lodges. If you have a photo of a past master on the wall of your lodge, and the man has a shrine lapel pin visible, then the photo must come down.

what if this happens everywhere they would have to decide if they want to stay with the shrine are stay with Bl they be both i'm planning on becoming a freemason in a few yrs. let stay I want to become a Shriner to but I can't because it's un-masonic.

goomba

I think if the Shrine cut it's tie with the Craft Lodge it would on the same level as the Elks Lodge and there would be no issue for a Mason to join. Of course I don't want to see this happen and I wish brethren could settle their differences peacefully.