'Space-time cloak' could conceal events

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
(CNN) -- New materials with the ability to manipulate the speed of light could enable the creation of a "space-time cloak" capable of masking events or even creating an illusion of "Star Trek"-style transportation, according to scientists in London.
The cloak, while currently only existing in mathematical theory, takes advantage of the potential properties of "metamaterials" -- artificial materials designed and manipulated at a molecular level to interact with and control electromagnetic waves.
Scientists have previously demonstrated that one possible use of metamaterials could be to render objects invisible by bending light around them. But Professor Martin McCall of Imperial College London says he has now extended the concept of invisibility to a cloak also capable of hiding events both in time and space.
"In some senses our work is mathematically quite closely related to the idea of invisibility cloaking," McCall told CNN. "It's just that we're doing it in space and time instead of just in space. It's added a new dimension to cloaking, quite literally."

more 'Space-time cloak' could conceal events - CNN.com

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
(CNN) -- New materials with the ability to manipulate the speed of light could enable the creation of a "space-time cloak" capable of masking events or even creating an illusion of "Star Trek"-style transportation, according to scientists in London.
The cloak, while currently only existing in mathematical theory, takes advantage of the potential properties of "metamaterials" -- artificial materials designed and manipulated at a molecular level to interact with and control electromagnetic waves.
Scientists have previously demonstrated that one possible use of metamaterials could be to render objects invisible by bending light around them. But Professor Martin McCall of Imperial College London says he has now extended the concept of invisibility to a cloak also capable of hiding events both in time and space.
"In some senses our work is mathematically quite closely related to the idea of invisibility cloaking," McCall told CNN. "It's just that we're doing it in space and time instead of just in space. It's added a new dimension to cloaking, quite literally."

more 'Space-time cloak' could conceal events - CNN.com
I thought that the Romulan cloaking device was old hat.
Cloaking device and other Romulan technology

G

Gary

The military has been experimenting with "cloaking technology" for a while now.
They have been working on exo-skeletons for soldiers, not only for the load bearing and strength capabilities, but also an array that bends light to render the soldier virtually invisible to the naked eye.

It was only a matter of time before they started messing with the space-time possibilities.

Bro. Russ joked about Star Trek and the Romulans...It's interesting how science fiction drives us to make those items of fantasy a reality. If it weren't for Star Trek, we probably wouldn't have flip up cell phones and touch screen computers.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Bro. Russ joked about Star Trek and the Romulans...It's interesting how science fiction drives us to make those items of fantasy a reality. If it weren't for Star Trek, we probably wouldn't have flip up cell phones and touch screen computers.
I still want my transporter. Where's my transporter? :mad:

G

Gary

They developed one in the 70's-80's I believe. It works. They used it to transport a spool of thread and an orange a very short distance. Inanimate objects aren't a problem. However, you wouldn't like to see what it did to animate (organic) objects. The molecules get all mixed up, and it ain't pretty.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
About 2-300 years in the future when we master string theory or its successor: bailing wire & duct tape.
Yes, that is right Brothers, when it all comes out in the wash, the universe IS held together with baling wire and duct tape.