Stolen Bike

Necktie

My son forgot to lock his bike up and someone stole it. He is of course rather upset about this and asked me why people do such things. He is 11 years old, what kind of answer would you give him?

iMav

-==-
Tell him the truth. Some people steal because they feel they need to (poor, drug addictions, other money-related motivators). Some steal because they have psychological problems and can't help themselves. Some just choose to be "bad" and do it willingly.

For the most part, it is because the individual lacks a sufficient moral compass (or the fortitude to follow that moral standard).

StoneH

I agree with iMav, tell him the truth. He is not too young to know that. Life is not always beautiful and the earlier he is aware about that is the better.

Necktie

Thanks

Thank you everyone. I sat him down an explained the truth. He took it pretty well and had a lot of questions but I think he is starting to understand.

Alex44

It's a hard lesson to really learn. Even though, as parents, we always say be careful, don't talk to strangers, look both ways... sometimes it takes bad things happening to get our kids attention. Being honest is always the way to go.

dax

The same situation happened to my younger brother. He was 18 when someone stole the bike he left outside the gate, he borrowed it from our father so he ended up being scolded by the latter. Now he's being careful.

StoneH

Thank you everyone. I sat him down an explained the truth. He took it pretty well and had a lot of questions but I think he is starting to understand.
That's great he took it well. He has learned it the hard way and I believe he will never forget it. That's the silver line of the incident.