Stopping a leaky toilet

Mortarfan

I swear my toilet runs all the time. We have shut the water off to the toilet a few times to try to fix it but I just can't figure it out. We put new seals and everything on the toilet. What could we be missing?

jimzdat

Could be a number of things:

Water level set too high? If it is, water will flow into the bowl the whole time, and the float can never shut off

Flapper not sealing? Same thing - continuous flow to the bowl. This can be caused by a bad flapper seal, or the pull chain too tight - needs to have some slack in it.

Really hard water? Deposits could be keeping the shutoff from closing tightly.

Cheap fill valve assembly? I made this mistake once, one of those types that has the float "hidden" inside a housing instead of at the end of an arm - stupid thing would never get a good shutoff against water pressure. Replaced with a better float design and problem went away.

Take the lid off, and use your finger to push down on top of the fill valve - does the water stop? That's usually a good sign that the fill valve isn't getting a good seal

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
It could be those or the tank seal itself is leaking . Just a couple of months ago I had to change my Mother-in-laws for her . I changed the Flapper didn't help , then the float assembly still no help . I then had to remove the tank from the bowl and replaced the seal . Worked like a charm .

Go for the obvious problems that Jim pointed out first , the flapper , the float assembly and make sure the chain has enough slack in it .

Mortarfan

Thanks for the great tips. I didn't know so many things could be causing this. The floor around the toilet seems to be damp a lot. I'm not sure if this is from the condensation from the bowl (it's hot in here) or leaking.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Make sure it is condensation , if not it may be the wax bowl ring under the toilet itself . Is it damp all the time , or just when you flush ? And not to sound gross , but do you smell any foul odors ? If so then it is the wax bowl ring , they are a easy to change .