Sword and heart symbol

mollyL

I was reading in the Symbols section about how one of the Masonic symbols is a sword pointed toward a heart. I recall seeing this symbol connected to piracy, anyone else know anything about that?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
In Freemasonry the sword pointing to the naked heart is a symbol that demonstrates that justice sooner or later will over take us . And yes I've seen a pirate flag in one of my books on pirates that does look similar to that symbol . Pirates used many flags , it is a fallacy that all pirate ships flew the skull and cross bones , they flew flags of their own design . Take Edward Teach's( Blackbeard) flag , his flag was a skeleton with horn's holding a hour glass in one hand and a spear pointing to a bleeding heart in the other .

mollyL

Just so, Ashlar, about pirates. Some would also fly a nation's flag and as soon as they got within firing distance they would raise the Jolly Roger to instill a little fear and cooperation in their prey. I know it would with me!

chocoguy

I never realize that the sword that the meaning of the sword has something to do with pirates. Maybe, the first mason is a pirate.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
The masonic sword and heart symbol has nothing to do with pirates . We were just conversing on how it resembles some pirate flags .

chocoguy

Sorry, I didn't unerstand while I was reading it. Anyway I think that you have a nice topic here.
Thanks for letting me know!