The Builders Book Discussion

G

Gary

I agree with Ashlar. it's not the content, but rather the writing style. As you have seen, I've been able to get his meaning on the topics. It's just a little more work than anticipated, that's all.

I'm biased, but I'm looking forward to discussion on Bro. Nagy's books. :cool:

G

Gary

OK... It seems that this book discussion is at a stand still. Winter & Bro. Russ seem to have been the ones to participate the most, and the others who were participating are MIA. It may be because Bro. Winter has had a crazy schedule these days, and hasn't been able to participate lately.

I'm not opposed to finishing what we started here, but for me at least...it will be like pulling teeth for me to get through it.

Are we going to proceed with this? or are we going to consider switching to the other book? I'm not trying to push it aside, I'd just like to know... Just askin'

brothaofdes

I got bored with it. I like books with lots of words in them too... Generally those words lead to a point. They aren't put there for the sake of just taking up the readers time. I found myself saying aloud "GET ON WITH IT!!!!" while reading this book.

Don't get me wrong, there is good information in the book. I just don't like rambling.
Unfortunately, I concur. I find myself skipping over vast sections in an attempt to find that nugget of detail that is important. I find this style of writing confusing. Get to the point and expound on that. All this flowery diatribe just hides the real important aspects of the writing.

Would anyone like to start a discussion on Mackey's book on Masonic Symbolism? That one is surely guaranteed to get your brain working! When I read it, I was basically saying 'WOW' the whole way through.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11937

CoachN

Builder Builder
Unfortunately, I concur. I find myself skipping over vast sections in an attempt to find that nugget of detail that is important. I find this style of writing confusing. Get to the point and expound on that. All this flowery diatribe just hides the real important aspects of the writing.

Would anyone like to start a discussion on Mackey's book on Masonic Symbolism? That one is surely guaranteed to get your brain working! When I read it, I was basically saying 'WOW' the whole way through.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11937
I'm game! :)

G

Gary

The Symbolism of Freemasonry by Albert G. Mackey - Project Gutenberg
We have to make a decision on this book first, and then we have already selected another to discuss. After that, I think we could throw Mackey's book in the hat!

Winter

I've been here before
I am so hurt and offended that you guys don't want to read this book!

LOL Just kidding. :) I agree, it is a tough read, and after further consideration, it may have been better to leave it till another time.

I don't have any heartache if we want to bail on this book till another time. Unfortunately we seem to be limited to only books available for free online.

Today is the first day I have been able to start slogging through the backlog of posts!

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I am so hurt and offended that you guys don't want to read this book!

LOL Just kidding. :) I agree, it is a tough read, and after further consideration, it may have been better to leave it till another time.

I don't have any heartache if we want to bail on this book till another time. Unfortunately we seem to be limited to only books available for free online.

Today is the first day I have been able to start slogging through the backlog of posts!
I, reluctantly, concur. The idea was to inspire a group discussion not incite a riot. As long as the book is not sidelined forever, I am willing to switch books.

How many have Bro. Nagy's Book 'Raising Boaz'? Since it is intended for EAs, it would fit the bill, it is different format and will invoke some interesting discussions and since most of it is esoteric, I believe that we can 'get away' with some amount of depth without fear of cowans & eavesdroppers.

Winter

I've been here before
Awwww. Lets go easy on Duncan. He's an FC. :) And after meeting him last Saturday, he's way taller than me! LOL (With way more gray hair!) :O

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
gray hair

Awwww. Lets go easy on Duncan. He's an FC. :) And after meeting him last Saturday, he's way taller than me! LOL (With way more gray hair!) :O
At least those of us with gray hair have...hair!

In high school, I used to be envious of my classmates who had that sharp widow's peak hairline. My hairline is kind of ragged in the midline.
By my 20 year reunion, those widow's peaks were pretty high, and at our 40th, most were approaching the collar in back!

S&F

G

Gary

So, how many people have the book "Building Boaz"? It was the runner up on our poll that started this whole thing, and I believe it was mentioned that we would start on that one after we finished "The Builders".

I for one, have been chomping at the bit to discuss this book series. Since we have the author handy to participate, I think it may be very beneficial.

Cool. This is more my style. I'll try to find the time to keep up with this. With "The Builders", I got through the forward and page 1 the first night before falling asleep. Page 2 the second night. Snore. Page 2 (again) the 3rd night......It's a great sleep aid for me, but it would take me two years to read it!!!

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Building Boaz

So, how many people have the book "Building Boaz"? It was the runner up on our poll that started this whole thing, and I believe it was mentioned that we would start on that one after we finished "The Builders".

I for one, have been chomping at the bit to discuss this book series. Since we have the author handy to participate, I think it may be very beneficial.
I've just ordered the book, and hope to be able to participate this time!

S&F

johnj1582

You guys just make sure to let me know when you're ready to come back to The Builders... I can't afford to snag Coach's book right now, so I'll just finish up this one. It's a little tough to get into, but once you get past all the intros etc., and start actually getting into the meat of it, it's not so bad.