The Compasses...

G

Gary

Being a prominent symbol in Freemasonry, the question has been raised before about the proper distance the points are spread on the Square and Compasses logo.

60 degrees is the accepted distance for several reasons, which we can discuss as the reasoning is very interesting. The mathematical application to the symbolism is fascinating.

My question is, if the compasses spread to a maximum of 180 degrees, how does one judge the circumscribing of their desires and passions to keep them within due bounds?

It would seem to me that using such a tool for morality is rather flexible. Is that moral compass set at 60 degrees? and if not, how do you know when you've passed 180?

Has anyone else ever thought about that? I'm sure there is a reason such a symbol was chosen (because it has limits), but I'm more interested in how other masons apply it.

G

Gary

Yes, the research is out there. But I guess what I'm asking is;

If my moral compass is set at 60 degrees, and your's at 180 on a particular issue... who is right? and how do we know when to be that flexible?

Or is your compass frozen at 60 degrees and anything outside of that parameter is out of bounds? or is my point moot?

G

Gary

That's what getting up at 0500 does for me...LOL

I'm just trying to promote some thought on the subject. Relate it to fire tactics... that should put into perspective for ya.

I have been up since 0430...shift starts at 0600......

I am having a hard time this morning getting my thinking cap on...but hereis a wild guess....maybe the compass flexes depending of your standing on a certain POV....so your compass can move depending on the situation....
Like being on a fire...what you do or tactics you use may not be what the other shift uses...take VES for example...one school of thought says its CRAZY...while another says it is AWESOME....You say a fog nozzle is the best, and I say a smoothe boore is better....does my analogy make since to you( Iam sure our non firemen will not get it all) or am I way off base on what you are asking.....

On a different note...if you really like jog your mind read some of this :
Freemasonry and Geometry

G

Gary

No, you are not off base. I'm old school and while we were taught fog nozzles worked best at that time, Smooth bore is better. ever been steamed while interior? I for one don't like being slammed to the floor when the ceiling reaches 1000+ degrees. Been there done that, bought the T shirt. :D

For our non fire members, basically we are talking application of suppression tools in firefighting. What we once thought was the best way to handle a situation has changed after learning more about the approach to the solution.

In other terms, I guess how "I" handle a situation may be different from the way Fireman does. Does it make it wrong? not necessarily.

Getting back to the compasses, if we strive to work within 60 degrees as the norm (a perfect scenario and ratio), we will do best in our lives. Knowing "when" to think outside the box and work "wider" is okay as long as we don't over stretch our bounds of 180 degrees.

Got the t-shirt too...just wish the department had it too.....they still like steam baths....

Back to the point.....why do you say 60 degree is the norm?

G

Gary

The reason is the equilateral triangle has always been sacred. The sum of all angles of a triangle is of course 180 degrees. Divide by 3 and we get 60 degrees. The compass thus set at 60 degrees alludes to the equilateral triangle and if the two points were united in a straight line, it would form one. And, further, a compass set at 60 degrees can exactly make 6 points on a circle, dividing the circle into 6 equal parts. The points, thus made, with the one in the center, constitute the mystic number seven.

Those 6 points on the circle, when connected with straight lines will form the hexagon (Solomon’s seal, or the Shield of David as it is called).

I think my head is hurting now..... :)...Way to many mathematical terms for me right now....

Seriously, I kinda am picking up what you are laying down....I am kinda confused when getting into the esoteric....it is something I am looking into......

G

Gary

Sorry about the headache... The subject can go way deeper than that, but for now we'll let that soak in.... ;)

No problem..... I am looking into the esoteric side of masonry.....it can be a mind boggeling topic...where to start??? how do you know what you understand is what others do????

My biggest obstacle has been not looking at things from a literal stand point.... I have always been a what you see is what you get kinda person.... finding hidden meanings in something is not always the easiest

G

Gary

I find it easy to look at things literally as well. Looking at Freemasonry however, is interesting to question why?

At first glance, all of the "esoteric" can be daunting. So much information, and a life time to try and grasp it's meaning.

By taking a simple tool, and asking that question, it makes it easier to tackle.

Which is why I started with the Compasses. I dig into that tool for a while and it sheds some light. Once I've learned a bit, I move to the next one.

Truth be known I've asked "why" about all of the tools, and come up with some interesting discoveries that are very applicable to every day life. Not to mention the history of how it came to be.

I've asked and received many recommendations on credible books to read, and after reading them, I like to discuss the topics to firm up my stance on the subject at hand.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
The reason is the equilateral triangle has always been sacred. The sum of all angles of a triangle is of course 180 degrees. Divide by 3 and we get 60 degrees. The compass thus set at 60 degrees alludes to the equilateral triangle and if the two points were united in a straight line, it would form one. And, further, a compass set at 60 degrees can exactly make 6 points on a circle, dividing the circle into 6 equal parts. The points, thus made, with the one in the center, constitute the mystic number seven.

Those 6 points on the circle, when connected with straight lines will form the hexagon (Solomon’s seal, or the Shield of David as it is called).
:) Thanks for the great insight, as an EA I have many such questions wandering around in my head (it 'tis a lonely/odd place sometimes [spend 6 hours once discussing what happens at the speed of light to a flashlight beam...]:rolleyes:) that need answers. :)

G

Gary

:) Thanks for the great insight, as an EA I have many such questions wandering around in my head (it 'tis a lonely/odd place sometimes [spend 6 hours once discussing what happens at the speed of light to a flashlight beam...]:rolleyes:) that need answers. :)
Well Duncan If you have questions...Ask! Don't worry, we'll discuss the tools you are more familiar with in a bit. ;)

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Well Duncan If you have questions...Ask! Don't worry, we'll discuss the tools you are more familiar with in a bit. ;)
In a previous worklife I was a machinist as was my father, so the tools of the Craft are familiar to me in that sense.
Also, I study religions, so I am familiar with those 'tools' as well. (For instance, I wanted to know the passage at the VSL was open to for my EA, got that one already and it is an excellent choice.;) )

kirby

Royal Arch Mason
I think that when Masons are in discussion that your point of view starts out at 60 and when it reaches its breaking point at 180, thats when you agree to disagree.

G

Gary

Should never have tried to read this thread before having morning coffee... :p
I think I'll put a disclaimer sticky at the top of this forum. It shall read, do not attempt to venture into this area without a cup of coffee and your thinking cap on!...:D