The handshakes

I know this has been asked on before. But I didn't want to bump a old thread. So I started this one. Are the handshakes easy to remember? If I were to forget how do it. If I asked them to show me again will they?

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I know this has been asked on before. But I didn't want to bump a old thread. So I started this one. Are the handshakes easy to remember? If I were to forget how do it. If I asked them to show me again will they?
The handshakes should be easy to remember. If you ask your instructor while you are being trained, they will teach you what you need to know. If you asked me and I wasn't your instructor, I'd laugh and say no way.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
In all honesty, if you are worried about remembering handshakes, you need to start reconsidering your petition. There is a LOT of memory work that you must do in order to become a Freemason. The handshakes are nothing.

My memory is not that bad. It's 50/50 there are things I can remember that other people can't. But there also things that I forget. I'm pretty sure I that I will do good. So I'm not that worried.

MWS

Don't worry so much, they're pretty straight forward...walking in on Lodge night you'll probably get at least 30 from everyone in attendance. It'll be impossible to forget after that!

dajofa

James -

Not to mince words - Its a "grip" and not a "handshake"! Worry about it when the time comes, not now.

Do not put the cart in front of the horse!

Dave

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
James-The grips are something that can be easily remembered, but through practice. As we all learned (in the U.S.) the Pledge of Allegiance by repeating it every morning at the start of school, things in masonry are learned by "inculcation," or repeating the instruction over and over until it is learned.
I have been certified as a masonic lecturer (one who can spout the rituals and lectures from memory) for almost 3 years, but I have a monthly practice schedule I work every day when I am either alone or with only Masons. If I neglect my practice, I start losing the work.
It's just work and persistence. It does not require any other skill.
If you pursue your masonic degrees to the end, you will find the memory work, including the grips, not all that difficult, but the lazy will fall to the side and not complete the journey.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
If you pursue your masonic degrees to the end, you will find the memory work, including the grips, not all that difficult, but the lazy will fall to the side and not complete the journey.
That's what will likely happen here. Persistence and due diligence are not his strong points, or even on the list for that matter. I've tried to get him to work every day to improve his grammar, and look where that got us. Excuses, and flat out refusal to comply. He says he has a great ability to memorize, but you couldn't prove that by his actions on this forum.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I think what is missing here is an understanding of what is expected of a Mason. We Masons do not expect perfection as none of us could ever achieve that mark. We are all taught in the lessons of the rough and perfect ashlars that we are all somewhere between a rough and flawed state and a perfect one but none of us is at either extreme. All we ask is that a brother Mason take the counsel whispered in his ear and work on perfecting his ashlar.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Very good point Brother, but It's mind boggling that one wouldnt even consider asking what those expectations were. Not one single question about the fraternity at all.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Such as?

Why not discuss the topics in more detail?

You found all the answers on previous threads without asking a single legitimate question?

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Ok, guess you arent going to respond to that. No biggie...

So... What interests you most about the symbolism of the fraternity?

You know I'm down answering question's. Form you anyways If any guys at the lodge here want's to ask me any question's I be happy to answer them.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Wow. Nice attitude. All Im trying to do is get you to think outside of the box a little. Maybe even spur some interesting conversation.

If you arent interested in talking about serious masonic material, maybe its for the best. But then, why are you here posting if thats not what you want?

Anyway, good luck.

goomba

You know I'm down answering question's. Form you anyways If any guys at the lodge here want's to ask me any question's I be happy to answer them.
I am assuming you meant to say "You know I'm done answering questions, from you anyways. If any guys at the lodge here want to ask me any questions I'd be happy to answer them." You might want to try typing in MS Word or a similar word processing program.

If that is what you intended to say here is my question to you: why are you on a discussion board but don't want to discuss?

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I think he thinks I'm picking on him. Which I'm not. I've asked the same question. I was hoping to get him to try and think more like a Mason would.

He has been told about trying to is MS Word to help his grammar and sentence structure before several times, but I guess he doesn't want to.