The Masonic Myth

jaya

The murder thing goes to the story of William Morgan. Basically he was a mason that was going to write a copy of the ritual. He disappeared and the theory was tha masons killed him.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
And then there are the symbolic penalties...which I will not describe. To paraphrase WB S. Brent Morris, "Anyone with a little time and intelligence to research can find out all the secrets of Masonry..."

Freemasonry has been accused by its detractors and enemies of threatening its members with dire forms of mutilation and murder should they stray from what they promised.
This is certainly NOT true.
Yes, we DO describe gruesome tortures, but we never threaten anyone with them.
We threaten ourselves; much like I did when I was, maybe eight years old, and said after telling an unlikely story, "If I'm lyin', may God strike me dead!"
Our enemies have taken this out of context and claimed we threaten errant Masons with violence.

I don't think so!

S&F

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
And then there are the symbolic penalties...which I will not describe. To paraphrase WB S. Brent Morris, "Anyone with a little time and intelligence to research can find out all the secrets of Masonry..."

Freemasonry has been accused by its detractors and enemies of threatening its members with dire forms of mutilation and murder should they stray from what they promised.
This is certainly NOT true.
Yes, we DO describe gruesome tortures, but we never threaten anyone with them.
We threaten ourselves; much like I did when I was, maybe eight years old, and said after telling an unlikely story, "If I'm lyin', may God strike me dead!"
Our enemies have taken this out of context and claimed we threaten errant Masons with violence.

I don't think so!

S&F
My usual response to this is that if our ancient penalties were being carried out, the story would be on every news broadcast in the world as the headline. Seen any stories like that?

leah

Thanks to all who have responded. To windrider, thats an excellent point.

I think there are lots of things, obviously that have been misconstrued from outsiders. I try to learn as much as I possibly can about masonry. I find myself constantly doing research and forming a list to ask my boyfriend about. Of course some things I am not able to be in knowledge of. I have realised that I will constantly read or be told things by others that are going to be incorrect. My boyfriend and I already face a problem with a large age gap in our relationship that people in my life don't approve of and then they find out that he is a freemason and there lies another problem. I get a lot of grief from others as far as hearing them accuse my boyfriend of being in a cult and they all think I'm being brainwashed by him. I guess I'm just trying to put the pieces together and to see where these accusations origionate from.

I appreciate you guys a lot for the help.

jaya

You sound like me and my wife. There is an age difference as well. When my mother-in-law found out that I became a Freemason the look on her face was priceless. She has learned that what she thought was not true.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Leah,

There isn't much he can't tell you. So in fact, you will eventually be in a position to correct inaccuracies stated by lesser informed persons.

There will always be those who villify Masonry. Mostly out of ignorance. We tend to call them Anti's... As in anti- masonry supporters.

Im not sure what questions you have, but many can be answered by reading books by reputable authors.

Id be happy to give you a list.

leah

Leah,

There isn't much he can't tell you. So in fact, you will eventually be in a position to correct inaccuracies stated by lesser informed persons.

There will always be those who villify Masonry. Mostly out of ignorance. We tend to call them Anti's... As in anti- masonry supporters.

Im not sure what questions you have, but many can be answered by reading books by reputable authors.

Id be happy to give you a list.
That would be wonderful to have a list.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I would reccomend you start with Is it True What They Say About Freemasonry? written by Art de Hoyos and Brent Morris. Both men are very well respected masonic researchers. This book looks at myths and actually tells the truth. There is a good chapter on the Morgan Affair as well.

http://www.amazon.com/About-Freemasonry-Methods-Anti-Masons-Revised/dp/1590771532/ref=la_B001HCVPTU_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358034268&sr=1-1
You read my mind. That was the first book that came to mind.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
That would be wonderful to have a list.
The book Jaya recommended is an excellent primer. That would be the first one you should get. It will answer a LOT of questions as well as give you some insight into the fraternity.

Freemasonry for Dummies by Chris Hodapp andThe idiots guide to Freemasonry by S. Brent Morris are two that cover the basics, but i think you may already be familiar with those.

The particular questions you have will determine the book recommendations.

Feel free to ask questions here as well! We will answer what we can, and also back our responses up with citations from reputable materials.

There are many educated Masons here, along with a few authors!

Gary

leah

Guys, you have been incredible to me. I am so glad to have the help you are all so willing to give. I will be going to the book store today for some vegan cookbooks and will take a look to see if they have one or two of these. From the sounds of it I think "Is it true what they say about freemasonry" will be the one I look for first. I will most definitely be around to ask questions. As much as I do enjoy discussing things with my guy I do like to also step out of my box and learn from others as well. I can't say enough about how sweet you all are. Thanks!!!

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
You may also want to look around for "Walking With the Widow's Son" a short book written by the wife of a Mason to dispel some of the anti-mason stuff that's out there and tell the truth about her husband and the fraternity.