The Masonic Myth

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Ok then, How about this one;

The myth goes that Freemasons ride goats during ceremonies in lodge. [snip]
Freemasons do not ride a goat in their lodges. There is no lodge goat. The degrees of Masonry are very serious business to Freemasons. It’s a joke and nothing more.
One of the funniest stories I heard in my Lodge was the evening of an EA Degree, a Brother who was an honest-to-God goat farmer had a goat in a cage in the back of his pickup in the parking lot of the Lodge... Just imagine what was going through those poor Candidates' minds.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I'm surprised nobody has brought up the one I hear all the time, that we worship Baphomet.

I find these damned Jack Chick pamphlets all over the place around campus all the time. Annoying is what it is.

The Curse of Baphomet
I just read that link. My Father in Law was a 32nd degree SR Mason. He must be rolling over in his grave... Actually, from what I know about him (never met him, unfortunately) he's probably laughing at the absurdity of it.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
And now you understand why all Grand Lodges forbid side degrees.
The goat jokes used to go on in my lodge , but now they refrain from it when they see me coming . As I told them , we are not a boys club , The candidates are taking very important steps in their lives and the degrees are very serious business and should be treated as such , by them and us .

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
How about this: That we either urinate on a cross or crucifix, or that (Christian Masons) must renounce Jesus. Anyone want to tell me where this bull came from?
The same place the Baphomet worship thing came from. These were all charges leveled against the Knights Templar in the 1300's. For many years (at least decades, if not a century or more) the Masonic Knights Templar claimed to be the actual Knights Templar and worked very hard to establish that Freemasonry has a connection to that order. Even today, there are those authors out there who are trying to prove that this is true. Is it any wonder that fundamentalists picked up those charges and leveled them against us? Well ... at least these days, the Grand Encampment of the KT admits that we have no direct connection to the authentic Templars. But it's probably way too late to do anything about the bad press.

I'm surprised nobody has brought up the one I hear all the time, that we worship Baphomet.

I find these damned Jack Chick pamphlets all over the place around campus all the time. Annoying is what it is.

The Curse of Baphomet
I'm the treasurer of our local Shrine Club and was out at Office Max a few weeks ago buying some toner for the club's printer with a Shrine Club check. The cashier saw the check and said "Wow, I love you guys!. Your hospital fixed my boy's leg when nobody else could." So I told her I was so happy that had worked out for her and her son. She then smiled and said "Me too. My neighbor told me I shouldn't go there because you're devil worshippers, but I don't care because you fixed his leg."

I really didn't know what to say, and there were other customers in line, so I thanked her and mentioned I was glad she didn't listen to her neighbor and left. It really kind of shook me. Of course I've seen all the ridiculous sites on the internet, but didn't believe there were real people in my community who actually believed any of that crud!

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I really didn't know what to say, and there were other customers in line, so I thanked her and mentioned I was glad she didn't listen to her neighbor and left. It really kind of shook me. Of course I've seen all the ridiculous sites on the internet, but didn't believe there were real people in my community who actually believed any of that crud!
Brother, there's people in every community who believe all sorts of crud.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
The same place the Baphomet worship thing came from. These were all charges leveled against the Knights Templar in the 1300's. For many years (at least decades, if not a century or more) the Masonic Knights Templar claimed to be the actual Knights Templar and worked very hard to establish that Freemasonry has a connection to that order. Even today, there are those authors out there who are trying to prove that this is true. Is it any wonder that fundamentalists picked up those charges and leveled them against us? Well ... at least these days, the Grand Encampment of the KT admits that we have no direct connection to the authentic Templars. But it's probably way too late to do anything about the bad press.
This may have also been propagated by Léo Taxil, the hoaxer at the end of the 19th century who was the darling of the Roman Catholic Church, and even given a private audience with Pope Leo XIII.
He reportedly offered to give proof of his accusations at his final assembly in Paris in 1897, and demanded a dedicated squad of police to protect him. After he castigated the crowd for believing his lies, which he then admitted, his police squad protected him from the homocidal crowd!

ckeroflite

Bro. Junior Warden
Ok then, How about this one;

The myth goes that Freemasons ride goats during ceremonies in lodge. The truth is Masons do not ride goats in lodge. Maybe some do at home on their farm for fun, but it is not a sanctioned part of any Masonic ritual.

Why the goat? Since the Middle Ages goats have been used as a symbol to make reference to the devil. That may sound far fetched in today’s world however the goat still plays a major roll in references to Satan in a number of Christian denominations. This idea was very popular during the witch persecutions. Witches were said to come riding into town on goats to take part in their blasphemous activities.

As Freemasonry became more and more popular, people who feared and misunderstood the fraternity started making claims and accusing Freemasons of witchcraft. This is most likely where the goat riding accusations came from. Some other things that may have contributed to this rumor and helped it grow into a unfortunate and untrue belief of some people is that in some of the early ritual books for the fraternity God was referred to as “God of all Things” abbreviated G.O.A.T. This has since been changed to G.A.O.T.U or Great Architect of the Universe.

Some of the other things that help perpetuate this myth among non- and anti-Masons is that some of the old catalogs distributed by some of the fraternal supply companies in the late 1800’s did offer mechanical goats for use in non recognized fun degrees. Kind of like the duck rides outside of grocery stores.

This kind of horseplay or (goat-play) which was used when fraternalism was at its height and there were many different fraternal orders that were competing for membership with the Freemasons also helped perpetuate this myth.

Freemasons do not ride a goat in their lodges. There is no lodge goat. The degrees of Masonry are very serious business to Freemasons. It’s a joke and nothing more.

Well spoken Brother. I was asked by my father in law, when he found out I was a Mason, did I jump the goat. I looked at him and said what does that mean. He then looked at me and said; well did you not ride a goat. I almost laughed but out of respect for my father in law, I simply smiled and told him if you really think I road a goat then your daughter (my wife) is in big trouble. Luckily his older brother was the Grand Master of the PHGLWI. So he noticed that that I was being humorous and at the same time not going against my obligations.

VirKnight

Sir Knight & 32 GL of VA
My Brothers, and those interested in Freemasonry,

While there are many myths about this organization, gifts from the uninformed, uninitiated and malicious, some of them are very good in the long run for the fraternity.

When someone asks me or my fellows if the freemasons know the secret of the Knights Templar (Poor Soldiers of Jesus Christ and the Temple of Solomon or Knight Hospitaliers) we often allow the myth to continue for a bit because it lets us tell the full story of brotherhood, truth and relief. It allows books like those written by Dan Brown to attract the interest of those we might well wish to have as brothers if we were allowed to go out and recruit.

Another of my personal favorites is the belief that members are threatened or sworn using oaths of great personal harm and if those oaths are ever breached, the member might well be subject to such a death. There is even a case where such a death was the catalyst for the Anti-masons. We all of course know that oaths sworn are against the true penalty of losing the good will and love of our brothers and not our lives. This however is so often the “ice breaker” question; “What are the consequences of your obligation?” or “Will the masons threaten my family if I tell?”

Freemasons are here to help each of us grow and travel our path to enlightenment, with the aid of likeminded good men. We hold the tenets of brotherhood, truth and relief of those in need as paramount and the virtues of truth, love, honor, reliability, charity and duty to family, God, country and the fraternity.

The myths may have been started with a negative intent, but seem to serve as a bully-pulpit to allow us to tell the real story. In times past it was necessary for a man to ask three times before he would be given a petition. I am certain this kind of story was so often the first contact. A fellow know a man of good character and who is also a freemason; he reads these myths (and others) and must find the means to resolve the conflict of what is sees and what he hears.

“Traveling along a rough and lonely road I met a stranger, whom I later discovered was my brother” is a quote from a Galen Green folk song, but it tells of how many men come to be freemasons. They speak with a friend during a time in their lives when things may be rough, or they may be seeking more brotherly affection and understanding, it is then they find that among the lodge there are friends who become brothers.

Robert Birtch

DeMolay/Freemason

The Curse of Baphomet
Boy, I read that phamplet, and I am so sorry that I did. No amount of Brain Bleach, will EVER make that come out. I seriously felt like my I.Q. took a sharp drop. Thankfully, I have enough I.Q. points to share with 3 Robert Birtches. But seriously I think this one thing that was like a Chick tract, but was a parody, was the funniest one I ever read. heres the link, hope you like.

File:CthulhuChickTract.gif - Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia

Robert Birtch

DeMolay/Freemason
you know, I actually have read the Necronomicon, and I had them give me my money back, because I did NOT go mad with the knowledge of horrible evil, as had been advertised in that tract.

Robert Birtch

DeMolay/Freemason
Really, Robert? You became a Mason after all, no?
Yeah, but I don't actually believe any of the nonsense written in the Necronomicon. I actually found it amusing. I kind of have a hobby of mocking groups that call themselves religions. For example, the "religion" called Scientology is something I find rather amusing. The Cult of Cthulu makes me laugh, as does the "Christian" hate group, the Westboro Baptist Church. I find the literature of Freemasonry not funny, but rich and deep. It entertains me. Eh, I am 19 years old, I shouldn't have the interest in lit that I do. Most guys my age are out going to 18+ night clubs, are in college, are going to frat parties, and doing all kinds of reckless things. Me, I like to engage in intellectual conversation, and read books and watch movies my friends have never heard of. I am so abnormal.