The moral of the story is.....

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
Brothers, I just need to vent.

I'm a branch manager for a financial firm and I handled a customer complaint over the phone today. The client and I failed to come to an agreement because quite frankly, what she wanted from us was beyond our scope of services. However, I had empathy for the client's situation and I offered to do what I could, which was more than she deserved.

The client became abusive because she couldn't get what she wanted. I accept client anger as part of the job, until my integrity is called into question. That's when I really lose control. I was called unethical and a liar for attempting to help her.

I started to say some things that I shouldn't and then I looked down. There on my finger was a ring with a square and compass on it. Staring right at it, I stopped myself from saying what I truly wanted to say, kept my passions within due bounds and simply said "you do not know me, but I take my ethics seriously and you have no basis to call me a liar. This call is over" and I simply hung up.

The moral of the story? The lessons taught to me about our working tools stuck with me. Glad I wear my ring proudly.