The Northern Chair...

Casey

MM, RAM, 32nd.
While the North is seen as a place of darkness in Masonic symbolism, my Lodge has done something with it that I think is pretty sublimely cool.

You see, we are a very old Lodge. Consecrated in 1847, with the Lodge we merged with being consecrated in 1915, little time goes by without us hearing of a death somewhere amongst the brethren. Our charter is essentially always draped.

However, the thought was at the start of this past year that something else should be done. So, we came up with the idea of having a chair in the North, that symbolic Masonic place of darkness, permanently dedicated to those who've gone before. If there any Ohio brethren reading this, take a look at this month's Beacon, we are in there. Now, on one of those ancient orange chairs that are older than any of our members can remember, there are two things. One is a white lambskin apron, and the other is a simple plaque.

The plaque reads as follows: This chair is dedicated to the memory of our Masonic Brothers who have passed on to the Celestial Lodge above, the house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. February 14, 2011, Toledo-Fort Industry Lodge, #144.

I like it. Fairly simple, but a permanent reminder of those who've gone beyond and those who are left here to remember them.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Bro. Casey I saw this in the Beacon and I think it is a outstanding idea. I'm sure it will be brought up at our first stated.

G

Gary

Great idea. Now for a question... How do you all feel about brothers who sit in that chair during Lodge?

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Great idea. Now for a question... How do you all feel about brothers who sit in that chair during Lodge?
Thank you for raising that question Bro. Gary.

My lodge pulls out the folding chairs to give a second row during inspection.

Casey

MM, RAM, 32nd.
No one does, or can. The chair's actually bolted, though you can't see it in that picture- can't be pulled down, and the apron is fixed to it.

G

Gary

Ours isn't it's the same as the other three chairs. There always seems to be a Brother who sits there. It bugs the crud out of me. The WM doesn't seem to mind either. I may talk to him about it.

Would you mind posting a link to a picture? I'd like to present your idea to my Lodge for consideration. Thanks!

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Ours isn't it's the same as the other three chairs. There always seems to be a Brother who sits there. It bugs the crud out of me. The WM doesn't seem to mind either. I may talk to him about it.

Would you mind posting a link to a picture? I'd like to present your idea to my Lodge for consideration. Thanks!
I am with you Gary.

To the best of my knowlege, the chair in the north has no masonic meaning or value. It is their because other appendant and concordant bodies that share the lodge building use it. Ours is the same as the other chairs as well, and I've never seen anyone sit in it during Blue Lodge, but if they did, I'd consider it the same as the other sideline chairs that are positioned in the North. At least that's what my head tells me. In reality, my heart would probably agree with Bros. Gary and Russ.

We dont have any chairs at all in the NE Corner so it isnt a big deal but I do like the idea of a "memorial" chair for or Brothers that have passed......

Casey

MM, RAM, 32nd.

I'll scan the picture, but I think there's a little miscommunication. It's not a special chair, just one of a hundred on that wall. Just a chair a Brother may have sat in once upon a time.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Seeing how our A. Conductress uses the Chair in the North in the OES , it would have to stay open .

We always have someone sitting in it as all the visitors set on the North side of the lodge . and we usually have quite a few visitors .

Edit* Never mind , I missed Casey's last post , It is just a random chair on the North side of the lodge and not the Chair directly opposite the JW in the South .

G

Gary

There was a miscommunication. I didn't help matters with my typo... Our chair in the North is the same style as the Warden's chair. That's what burns my caboose when someone sits in it. It's a special chair, and is reserved for Deity. No one is supposed to sit in it.

We have two rows of theater style chairs all along the North wall except THAT one. Brothers have their choice as to where to sit. There is plenty of room, still they choose to disrespect the North. It may just be ignorance on their part.

The cushions may come up missing one night, that way the seat won't be as comfy. Maybe they will get the hint.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
The only lodges I know of in my area who have a "special" chair in the North are those with OES Chapters . Those without Chapters have regular seating along the North wall .

G

Gary

Interesting. I will investigate this further. Maybe I'm making much a-do about nothing! I am only going by what I'd been taught. Come to think of it, we DID have an OES chapter at our Lodge. :rolleyes:

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Many of those lodges who DID have a Chapter at one time removed the "special" chair in the North and replaced it with a matching seat or seats when their OES Chapters folded .

Our Chair in the North is the same as all the other "guest" seats . It is just slightly elevated above all the rest so the A. Conductress will stand out from the guests .

But , I am not saying what you were told is right or wrong .

Winter

I've been here before
It's a special chair, and is reserved for Deity. No one is supposed to sit in it.
Interesting. I have never heard anything in Masonic ritual that has to do with Diety having a special seat reserved in the Lodge. And if so, why is it lower than the Master's chair? Is this part of the teachings there?

We have the same chair here and it only has any significance in the OES. During a Lodge meeting it's just another chair with no significance.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Interesting. I have never heard anything in Masonic ritual that has to do with Diety having a special seat reserved in the Lodge. And if so, why is it lower than the Master's chair? Is this part of the teachings there?

We have the same chair here and it only has any significance in the OES. During a Lodge meeting it's just another chair with no significance.
I have never heard that either . This is why I said I was not saying what Bro. Gary was taught is right or wrong because I do not know everything . It may be a jurisdictional thing . Here it is just another seat for members to sit in if they so choose .

DavisB

The only lodges I know of in my area who have a "special" chair in the North are those with OES Chapters . Those without Chapters have regular seating along the North wall .
My lodge has an OES chapter, but regular seating along the North wall....thought I'd toss my wrench into the workings....