The point within a cirlce and parallel lines

HarrisonK

Can some explain this to me?

Does this have several interpretations? I know of two:
1.) the small point inside the circle which represents the person and the circle is the boundary of his actions and the two lines represent a balance of education, excitement, and faith. I have heard this is a representation of ones conscience.

and the other theory I've heard is:

The small dot is the earth with the circle around it representing the universe and the two lines represent the summer, longest day being June 24, and the winter, shortest day being December 27.

What is right? What does this symbol actually mean?

Azpir8king

Two cool sites with different takes are linked below.

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SPOIL YOUR EA INITIATION...just wait and DON'T FOLLOW THE LINKS!!

If you really want a couple of perspectives, follow these.... BUT YOU ARE GETTING WAY AHEAD OF YOURSELF!!! These are not the only or definitive explanations, just two perspectives. Your lodge will better explain it as you begin your journey.

SERIOUSLY TURN BACK NOW!!!

Point Within a Circle | Freemasonry

and

INTRODUCTION TO FREEMASONRY - ENTERED APPRENTICE By CARL H. CLAUDY

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Two cool sites with different takes are linked below.

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SPOIL YOUR EA INITIATION...just wait and DON'T FOLLOW THE LINKS!!

If you really want a couple of perspectives, follow these.... BUT YOU ARE GETTING WAY AHEAD OF YOURSELF!!! These are not the only or definitive explanations, just two perspectives. Your lodge will better explain it as you begin your journey.

SERIOUSLY TURN BACK NOW!!!

Point Within a Circle | Freemasonry

and

INTRODUCTION TO FREEMASONRY - ENTERED APPRENTICE By CARL H. CLAUDY
Very cool, read through both them.

G

Gary

:D:D:D:D

Well... If they don't ask about it, I ain't going to discuss it...LOL

I thought the wikipedia link was an interesting primer though....

johnj1582

as an aside, before I became a mason, I wanted the circumpunct on my headstone, due to the Scout trail marker meaning.

G

Gary

OK, start with a question. I assume that you are either familiar with the point within a circle symbol, or have at least read the primer information/ links given at the beginning of this thread.

G

Gary

For starters looking at the point within a circle you have what appears to be the two legs of the compasses separated into parallel lines on either side of the circle. The hinge would be the Volume of Sacred Law at the top.

Until it was explained to me, I never viewed those symbols in that manner. What you wind up with are several parts in which you can decipher.

So, already knowing what the VSL is, what would the separated legs of the compasses each represent? We are taught that the two parallel lines represent the patron saints John the Baptist and John the Evangelist. That's all well and good but what do they symbolically represent and why?

<Coach, chime in at any time... I may flounder trying to remember all of this...:eek: >

Take a guess, and we can discuss it...

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
The Baptist is the zeal of the newly born Brother, the other is the older Brother deep with knowledge (light)

CoachN

Builder Builder
The Holy Saint's John represent the legs which in turn represent the WORK that we must do as EAs and FCs respectively.

G

Gary

The Baptist is the zeal of the newly born Brother, the other is the older Brother deep with knowledge (light)
Excellent response! One can be viewed as a brighter light, the other a dimmer light. Each has equal importance (there is that balance thing again!).

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
I love you guys... a few months ago I was actually asking a PM to show me where this dedicated point is... the looks I was getting...

Isn't one leg of the compasses inside the circle representing the individual??? I thought that was how this worked but then again my most recent profession is bank teller so I'm not that handy with WT..

G

Gary

Let's examine this Masonically... Symbolically/astronomically speaking, the Master and Wardens are symbols of the sun, the Lodge the universe, or world just as the point is the symbol of the same sun, and the surrounding circle of the universe.

The sun is found in the zodiacal signs of Cancer and Capricorn. These points are astronomically distinguished as the summer and winter solstice. When the sun is in these points it has reached it's greatest northern and southern declination, and produces the most evident effects on the temperature of the seasons and the length of days and nights. These points if we suppose the circle is to represent the suns apparent course, will be indicated where the points touch the circle (or when the sun arrives at the solstitial points of Cancer and Capricorn).

The sun reaches these points on June 21st and December 22nd Sound familiar? it accounts for the application of the two Saints John who's anniversaries have been placed by the church near those days.

Discuss... :D