The point within a cirlce and parallel lines

G

Gary

I love you guys... a few months ago I was actually asking a PM to show me where this dedicated point is... the looks I was getting...

Isn't one leg of the compasses inside the circle representing the individual??? I thought that was how this worked but then again my most recent profession is bank teller so I'm not that handy with WT..
Pish posh... EVERY profession makes use of the WT's. Yes, the point can represent the individual, but it gets much deeper than that my Brother!

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Pish posh... EVERY profession makes use of the WT's. Yes, the point can represent the individual, but it gets much deeper than that my Brother!
Thank you Bro Gary... for the sake or discussion...

If the circle is just the one point of the compasses keeping me in due bounds then the point of the HB along with the points for the Saints John could be my square. Therefore making the process of touching upon these in my journeys a squaring of my actions. Resulting in my ability to serve my charges and not over extend myself or wrong those whom I might affect.

IMHO

I'm a very young Brother (relativley speaking) and I know although I was raised I'm still a Entered Afellow craft, what I kept saying during my FC catchecism [sp], and that my light is but partial in regards to understanding. So I need help from you olde... WISER Brothers to get me through and not make a donkey of myself... wife just said that's not possible!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

DavisB

Let's examine this Masonically... Symbolically/astronomically speaking, the Master and Wardens are symbols of the sun, the Lodge the universe, or world just as the point is the symbol of the same sun, and the surrounding circle of the universe.

The sun is found in the zodiacal signs of Cancer and Capricorn. These points are astronomically distinguished as the summer and winter solstice. When the sun is in these points it has reached it's greatest northern and southern declination, and produces the most evident effects on the temperature of the seasons and the length of days and nights. These points if we suppose the circle is to represent the suns apparent course, will be indicated where the points touch the circle (or when the sun arrives at the solstitial points of Cancer and Capricorn).

The sun reaches these points on June 21st and December 22nd Sound familiar? it accounts for the application of the two Saints John who's anniversaries have been placed by the church near those days.

Discuss... :D
wow.....that is quite a bit to think about.:confused:

G

Gary

I'm not older or wiser, but I am actively searching for answers! Don't worry, we are all donkeys here. :D

My previous post was summarized from Albert Mackey's "Symbolism of Freemasonry". As an avid astronomer, I find these links to our symbols origins fascinating.

It's through conversations like this that I learn, and find more paths to follow in my search for answers.

The more I look at this stuff and find associations to the 7 L A's S's, The more I realize that I don't know squat! It is refreshing to learn with others, and also work as a Fellow of the Craft. It's a fun yet daunting adventure sometimes.

Don't worry, jump in with your thoughts and ideas. You'll be glad you did.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Let's examine this Masonically... Symbolically/astronomically speaking, the Master and Wardens are symbols of the sun, the Lodge the universe, or world just as the point is the symbol of the same sun, and the surrounding circle of the universe.

The sun is found in the zodiacal signs of Cancer and Capricorn. These points are astronomically distinguished as the summer and winter solstice. When the sun is in these points it has reached it's greatest northern and southern declination, and produces the most evident effects on the temperature of the seasons and the length of days and nights. These points if we suppose the circle is to represent the suns apparent course, will be indicated where the points touch the circle (or when the sun arrives at the solstitial points of Cancer and Capricorn).

The sun reaches these points on June 21st and December 22nd Sound familiar? it accounts for the application of the two Saints John who's anniversaries have been placed by the church near those days.

Discuss... :D
Many of the churches holidays were placed to conceal non-church (modern vernacular: pagan holidays). I've read this piece thanks for the refresher.

G

Gary

Many of the churches holidays were placed to conceal non-church (modern vernacular: pagan holidays). I've read this piece thanks for the refresher.
Many? Most all of them have been re-named or "placed". Religions often assimilate to encourage compliance. :rolleyes: But then you knew that. We share similar education in this area. :cool:

My summary may have been redundant to some, but it is necessary to establish a base upon which to build. Many Masons don't know the origin of this symbol, and you most certainly can't take it at face value from ritual or the lectures if you want to truly understand it.

Winter

I've been here before
As with all Masonic symbols there are layers upon layers and the symbolism can often have much deeper meaning than is just found in the ritual.

Remember, the circumpunct is one of the oldest symbols known to man. And as well as representing the individual Mason and the bounds of his duty, it is also the alchemical symbol for gold. Since we as Masons are all attempting to become a living Philosopher's Stone. That mythical product of alchemy said to be able to turn lead into gold. Freemasonry exists to help a man, through ancient and mystic means, transform from a base individual with potential into one of actual being. Fully realized through the application of sacred knowledge imparted through the initiatic experience.

This is of course a very short explanation and even a cursory search will show that it is a symbol that has been used in almost every culture in antiquity with varied meanings. I have an old pamphlet here somewhere with a very good discussion of it. Not sure why its never been reprinted.

As a side note, the two parallel lines in American Masonry are dedicated to the Saints John while in European Masonry (and my Lodge) they are dedicated to Solomon King of Israel and Moses.

CoachN

Builder Builder
The Circumpunct also is symbolic for the the sun, which in turn alludes to a source of Light.

(Can you say "Allegory of the Cave?")

Winter

I've been here before
The circimpunct also represents the Pythagorean Monad which was a name for G-d, or the first being and represents a singular unity that is unable to be divided.

According to Diogenes Laertius, from the monad evolved the dyad; from it numbers; from numbers, points; then lines, two-dimensional entities, three-dimensional entities, bodies, culminating in the four elements earth, water, fire and air, from which the rest of our world is built up.

A few of the same interpretations seem to be found throughout this thread..but I thought I would share anyway. Here is a paper that I wrote just last week on the point within a circle.

Brother,

I have touched upon the symbolism of a square within a circle in previous writings, but in this paper I will expound upon the point within a circle specifically. We are first exposed to the point within a circle in the lecture of the EA degree. We are told that the point represents “an individual Brother and the circle the boundary line beyond which he is never to suffer his passions or prejudices to betray him”. Later on in the lecture we are told that this particular symbol is “represented in all Lodges dedicated to” the Holy Saints John. I, however, have never seen this symbol anywhere in Lodge except during the Lecture itself. But as Masons, we are keenly aware that our symbolism lies far beneath the surface of what is seen with the eye. After all, in the same lecture, we are told that “our heart should be taught conceive before our eyes behold the beauties of Freemasonry”. In this case, I have been seeing only with my eyes, but am now able to conceive with my heart what has been hidden right out in the open, but behind the veil of our ritual.

As I stated previously, I had not seen the point within the circle in Lodge except during the EA lecture, despite being told that it is “represented in all Lodges”. Now, with the help of another Brother, I can see it everywhere in our ritual and even a bit beyond that. First, let us revisit what we are told about this symbol. It is “a point within a circle, embordered by two parallel perpendicular lines…and on top of the circle rests the Holy Scripture.” So the question now becomes, where is this symbol represented in Lodge? Is it found on your Lodge wall? Perhaps, but I believe that it can also be seen in many other places within the mysteries of Freemasonry.

A point, as I now see it, can be symbolic of an individual Brother, as the altar that we see in every Lodge and even the Lodge itself. Each of these aligns perfectly not only with the symbol itself, but with the application of it in our every day lives. But I digress.

The circle can be found in a multitude of places both inside the Lodge and outside the Lodge. Circumambulation traces a circle about the Lodge. In some jurisdictions, the Brethren will form a circle around the altar to recite a closing prayer. We are taught of brazen pillars that have been made hollow to guard the secrets of Freemasonry. The compasses, one of the Great Lights of Masonry are used to draw circles. Outside of the Lodge, we are surrounded by the profane world, which despite the belief of those who came before Galileo is actually round.

Two parallel perpendicular lines are found inside the Lodge as well as outside the Lodge. In the opening and closing of a Lodge of Master Mason we see the Junior and Senior Deacon trace the path of two parallel lines. As a new Brother is brought to Light, he beholds his Brothers standing in two parallel lines along each side of him. Two parallel lines are formed along side a Brother as he is “raised” in the Master Mason degree. When seen from space, the light from the Sun forms two parallel lines between darkness and light (one to the East and one to the West) as it makes its trek across the sky.

So how does each of these connect to the symbol of the point within the circle? Let us examine each starting at the outside and working our way inward.

The Lodge is a Masons sanctuary (a Point), surrounded by the outside world (the Circle), and the Sun at High Twelve which is the “beauty and glory of the day” forms two distinct parallel lines on each side as it makes its trek from East to West (two parallel perpendicular lines) and the SAOTU who is above all sits above us, watching down (the Holy Scriptures).

The altar is a place of great importance in our Lodge (a Point), circumambulation around the altar is a part of every degree (the Circle), the Brethren form lines along each side of the altar as our Brothers are brought to Light (two parallel perpendicular lines) and again, the rule and guide of all of our actions is the Holy Scriptures.

An individual Brother before being raised (a Point) is surrounded by his Brothers (the Circle) who proceed to form two lines along each side of him (two parallel perpendicular lines) and at the head of the proceedings, behind MEKS is the Holy Scriptures.

Now Brother, I cannot say with any degree of confidence that our ritual was designed specifically to align with this symbol. I am simply speculating. That is, of course, what we do as Speculative Masons. We seek to understand through study, contemplation and speculation. What I can say with confidence is that the relationships that I have shared in this paper represent what the point within a circle means to me. I hope at the very least, you will now pause and reflect a moment the next time you hear mention of the point within a circle in the Lodge.

Your Brother,

Jason

FF Sparky

Very informative Brother Jason, I been trying to figure out where the point within the circle even came from as the fisrt time I remember seeing it was thru this post, and recently in the book 'Freemasonry for Dummies'. Reading your post I can see it in many forms now.

Thank you.
Brother Brian

Winter

I've been here before
Many Lodges I have sat in have a physical representation of the point within the circle. Usually found on the front or rear of the altar itself to complete the imagery with VSL on top.

CoachN

Builder Builder
It's most unfortunate that most Lodge members don't realize what's hanging on the wall is a Working tool.

(I'll be doing a 30 minute presentation out in Plant City tomorrow night about this very Working tool. I'll be bringing my two pvc pipes and garden hose.)

G

Gary

Boy are they in for a treat. I'll bet I can smell the smoke coming from their brains from up here... LOL!

Seriously though, Your lecture is very informative. I highly recommend it to any Brother who hasn't seen the presentation. The use of simple props is pure genius!

jmansephus

I absolutely LOVE this topic!!! Should I be reading this though (as I am not yet a Freemason)!?!

I am such a nerd when it comes to all science!!!... especially metaphysical/esoteric!!!
WOW... I so want in :p

I apologize for even posting due to my entire lack of knowledge on the subject, and my lack of being a Freemason but I couldn't resist :p

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
If you want to save all the mysteries, yes. This knowledge is open knowledge the symbol to which we refer is extremely timeless and isn't the sole jurisdiction of FM.