The Secrets of a Freemason

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
LOL would love to see that as well.

For me personally, I share next to nothing about what happens in Lodge. I guess, being new, it's that "better safe than sorry" mentality. Now I did remark to my wife how cool it is to me, because I am a Pastor, and when I was in school studied King Solomon's Temple extensively, and so that aspect is really cool to me. But in so doing was careful not to disclose any part of the ritual or lecture. The most my wife knows when I come home from Lodge is what kind of pie we had because I always bring her a piece :D
As a former Bible study leader, I too am getting into the OT references and I see the same sort of references in the other spiritual works that I have read.

My wife knows: All of it, the only thing that must be kept secret are .....

We talk openly about FM, she has helped me with my EA catachism, the readable parts only. Then there are the OES vultures circling the pending MM, "when Russ gets his MM, YOU can be in Star!" :rolleyes:

G

Gary

As a former Bible study leader, I too am getting into the OT references and I see the same sort of references in the other spiritual works that I have read.

My wife knows: All of it, the only thing that must be kept secret are .....

We talk openly about FM, she has helped me with my EA catachism, the readable parts only. Then there are the OES vultures circling the pending MM, "when Russ gets his MM, YOU can be in Star!" :rolleyes:
Must be nice. If that were the case here in Florida, she'd only had gotten to help me with the book's title cover.

Well, we've had the last bagged kitten ritual. The Junior Steward must have forgotten to poke airholes in the bag last time.....

Back on topic: Here's a cut and paste from the Minnesota Masonic Manual published on the Grand Lodges Website regarding the Secrets of Freemasonry:

THE SECRETS OF MASONRY
Every Entered Apprentice should be informed of the
following basic principles and information.
What You Can Discuss With a Non-Mason
Masonry is not a secret society. Members of our
lodges are not in anyway forbidden from telling others that
they are Masons. While every Mason should remember his
obligations to secrecy, yet we want to inform non-masons
about who we are, what we are, and what we do.
Therefore it is important that every Mason understand
clearly which things he can talk about and which things he
cannot.
What is a Masonic Secret
What are the things we call the secrets of Masonry?
The first secret is the ballot of a Mason. No one can know
how a Mason votes, unless that Mason tells him, and that
is considered unmasonic conduct. The right and privilege
of casting a secret ballot is universally respected in this
country by Masons and non-masons alike.
Other secrets are:
• the modes of recognition (signs and words);
• the obligations or vows of each degree;
• the manner of conferring the degrees, and;
• the legend of the third degree.
These four items are usually considered to be the
"real" Masonic secrets. But we should all realize that any
interested party can go to the public library or bookstore
and obtain books which reveal all these things. Clearly we
cannot consider these to be secrets in the true sense of the
word. There is no way we can keep these books from the
public. What then is the meaning of our obligation to
secrecy?
Our Obligation to Secrecy
The obligations of Masonry, as well as all other
teachings and laws of our Craft, are not things that Masons
impose upon other people. These obligations, teachings,
and laws are things that each Mason agrees to accept for
himself and to apply to himself. Thus when we agree to
keep a Masonic secret we only agree that we will not
discuss that matter with a non-mason. This agreement is
then binding upon the Mason, but it is not and cannot be
binding upon a non-mason.
Masons should not be disturbed by this. If a nonmason
learns what he considers to be our secrets, we are
under no obligation to take action of any kind. But if the
same person comes to us and asks us to affirm or deny that
certain things are our secrets, then we must neither confirm
nor deny what they have learned. We are best advised to
simply change the subject. If that fails, then let the person
read this page.

ckeroflite

Bro. Junior Warden
I liked what Dr. S. Brent Morris said on one of those History Channel programs about what Masonry is: [paraphrased]

"Anyone with a little intelligence and some time can do the research and discover all the secrets of Masonry. You might have found them already, if you have, I don't care, but, I won't tell you, because I have promised that I would not."

This resonated in me! It finally crystallized what Masonry really meant to me.
A few months later, I had the opportunity to tell him so in person at a Masonic function in Raleigh.
I am a man of integrity.
I will keep my word.

S&F
Well put DDGL... I think Masonry is not a secret at all... From the time I can remember, I always wanted to be a Mason. I always wanted to be on the inside so to speak... I read almost every topic about Masonry... My uncle and his uncle are Masons who sought light and continue to seek light... but before I was raised, I could never have a conversation about Masonry with them... My uncle would politely tell, "I do not want to ruin it for you." Every degree I moved up, he would converse with me on that level and would never divulge any thing above the degree I was currently at... We are brothers with obligations and if people know or have a clue what Masonry is about... I will still never share my light or experience with anyone of them if they have not knocked on the outer door and waited patiently for the WM permission to enter....... That’s why I love the colloquialism we use to recognize one another…. We do very from district to district, however, one thing is certain and that is when we are out traveling and if a person begins to converse with us and if he does offer me a word, token, and or sign… The topic of Freemasonry will never be brought up and if it does it will come to a halt and whatever sport that’s being played during the season will be the new topic of conversation…. I hope I’m not being too opinionated on this topic brothers….

Bill_F

I was told initially what the secrets were. They were given me during the three Blue Lodge Rituals.

Since that time, I 've discovered that these things are not secret at all. They are pieces of confidential information entrust to me for safe keeping. I shall continue to honor that trust even though I do not view them as secrets any longer. The point is not if they are secret or not. The point is the trust that was placed in me to keep and share these things accordingly.

What I've also discovered is that there are many things that people simply can't see or don't understand that I do see and understand. These things have been referred to as "secret" by others. But from everything that I know about them, they are not secret at all. They are merely things that are not seen or understood by the majority of those who have not taken the time to see and understand them.

At least, that's how I see and understand it.
I know this is an old post, but it's the first time I have read it.
WELL SAID Sir!