MM Topic The song remains the same...

What chu talkin' bout Willis? I use big words all of time. While I see your point and agree, it's through expanding our vocabulary that we can help to improve our rhetoric.

If I see a word I don't know, I look it up. Others use of ten dollar words is beneficial to me. It forces me to improve myself. After all, not all of us are knuckle dragging truckies... :D
If the ten dollar words are used in the correct situations it if fine...big words doesnt improve ones rhetoric.... learning the proper application does

That would be Gentlemen Knuckle dragging Truckies to you....... we are always willing to open the door for you ladies.... :p:D

G

Gary

If the ten dollar words are used in the correct situations it if fine...big words doesnt improve ones rhetoric.... learning the proper application does

That would be Gentlemen Knuckle dragging Truckies to you....... we are always willing to open the door for you ladies.... :p:D
How can you properly apply those big words unless you know what the words mean in the first place?

This points back to the topic. Learning the big words in Ritual, and applying them to Masonry. We have to be willing to teach those willing to learn. They will in turn learn the proper application of the lessons learned.

How can you properly apply those big words unless you know what the words mean in the first place?

This points back to the topic. Learning the big words in Ritual, and applying them to Masonry. We have to be willing to teach those willing to learn. They will in turn learn the proper application of the lessons learned.
Proper application doesnt always mean knowing the definitions..... remember, not all use the Websters definition of a word....remember our discussion on deism...Proper application can also apply to knowing when and where to use them. I have no problem with the ten dollar words.... just at time I have seen their use not necessary.

G

Gary

Proper application doesnt always mean knowing the definitions..... remember, not all use the Websters definition of a word....remember our discussion on deism...Proper application can also apply to knowing when and where to use them. I have no problem with the ten dollar words.... just at time I have seen their use not necessary.
Meh... I can't say that I agree with you. If you don't know the meaning of a word, you aught not to be using it in a sentence. That's just ignorant. For example; if you read at a third grade level, no one expects you to understand or use words beyond that grade level.

That's also like saying you should argue with someone by using cuss words instead of debating/insulting them in a dignified manner. One Brother that we both know can do this in such a way that you wouldn't know you've been insulted until you left the room.

Grammar and Rhetoric are liberal sciences for a reason.

G

Gary

Meh... I can't say that I agree with you. If you don't know the meaning of a word, you aught not to be using it in a sentence. That's just ignorant. For example; if you read at a third grade level, no one expects you to understand or use words beyond that grade level.

That's also like saying you should argue with someone by using cuss words instead of debating/insulting them in a dignified manner. One Brother that we both know can do this in such a way that you wouldn't know you've been insulted until you left the room.

Oh, and the word for the day is: Trumpery! :D

Never said one shouldnt know the definition of the words he uses..... BUT knowing when or where to use now that is a skill the Brother I believe you are referring to has mastered......Rhetoric is also the ability to use language effectively. Its the application or proper use of the words I refer to.... I agree we should always learn new words.... but their use isnt always needed......

The use of Rhetoric can be both a positive and a negative in ones command of their language.......political speeches are a prime example......its all in the application.... one can either be magniloquence or grandiloquence in delivery of a speech but neither would be proper use of Rhetoric when conversing amongst friends and Brothers in an informal setting.......

G

Gary

Never said one shouldnt know the definition of the words he uses..... BUT knowing when or where to use now that is a skill the Brother I believe you are referring to has mastered......Rhetoric is also the ability to use language effectively. Its the application or proper use of the words I refer to.... I agree we should always learn new words.... but their use isnt always needed......
You implied in earlier postings that the use or proper application of a word was more important than understanding it's meaning. Using language effectively means that you understand what you are saying. I can't simplify my point any more than that.

You implied in earlier postings that the use or proper application of a word was more important than understanding it's meaning. Using language effectively means that you understand what you are saying. I can't simplify my point any more than that.
It is.... Its is one thing for the speaker to understand the words he is using BUT if the audience doesnt or gets the impression the speaker is just a pompous ass then you are not having effective communication. NOW.... if you know your audience and are comfortable with the verbiage chosen then that is fine...... Therefore "use and proper application" is more important...."use and proper application" also would include the one using the word to understand the meaning as well......