The tools....why those three?

Azpir8king

Is there a deeper meaning to the three tools used in the Hiramic Legend? Why THOSE tools? Others could have accomplished the tasks just as easily. Think about the order and the tool used.

The 24 inch gauge. In Masonry symbolizes the division of our day into 3 equal parts (8 hrs Work, 8 hrs Sleep and 8 hrs service to family,community and Deity).

The Square, by which all Masons are taught to square their actions with virtue.

The Setting Maul, by which the finely crafted stones are moved into their final place, allowing the temple to be constructed (temple of mind, body and soul) and edges of a stone are smoothed to a finish to interact and support the other stones.

These three tools are very formative in their symbolic meanings through the three degrees. The legend , I believe, shows those tools as destructive and even deadly in the hands (and hearts) of those consumed by greed and self importance who are seeking to extract wisdom or attain Knowledge (which is power) through any means necessary. There is always revelation during the first viewing and participation in the legend, but after a few 3rd degree's, I ask: Is there a deeper warning to all Master Masons in this final tale? beyond the basic Morality play?

Any thoughts? (Pardon if I have tread to close for some of you, But I believe I have upheld my obligation with careful wording here)

G

Gary

Why those tools? Why not? They would have been the tools used by an apprentice to set the stones. The compasses, plumb and level were very likely used by the Master (fellows of the craft) to evaluate their work.

It seems fitting to me that these particular tools are used in the Hiramic legend.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
These were the tools used by operative masons during that period. These were tools that were readily available, and used daily to carry out the designs on the tressel board. Without going too far in depth, these were tools used by those craftsman for their intended purpose, as well as their diabolical purpose.

CoachN

Builder Builder
Each tool is symbolic for the demands each places upon our integrity.

Interestingly enough, they vary depending upon the Rite used.

Winter

I've been here before
Even the most noble "tool" that exists for the betterment of Man can be perverted to be used to maim, kill, and persecute in the hands of those who only seek power and not wisdom.

Just look at the Inquisition and the Crusades.

The basic reason, that these were the tools that craftsmen would have had available, implies that we actually think the Hiramic legend represents a factual event. Since we know it does not, this is an excellent question for us to delve deeper into the mysteries and what they are trying to impart to us.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
The tools were only used by those who were at craftsmen level. Your first concerned time, which his was coming to an end. The second implies the virtue of which the ruff ones had none and the 3rd finallity. If you're not virtuous with your time when the end comes you won't face it head on with resolve but crumble and try to plead.

CoachN

Builder Builder
The tools were only used by those who were at craftsmen level. Your first concerned time, which his was coming to an end. The second implies the virtue of which the ruff ones had none and the 3rd finallity. If you're not virtuous with your time when the end comes you won't face it head on with resolve but crumble and try to plead.
Awesomeness! Kudos!

G

Gary

Awesomeness! Kudos!
Somebody has been reading your books... :p