EA Topic The twenty four inch gauge...

CoachN

Builder Builder
Bro. Gary,

It's all about Time Management. 80% to 90% of a person's time should manageable. The 10-20% that isn't has to do with random fluctuations in the universe... you know irresponsible people, unanticipated emergences and government interventions.

I'm pegging the meter most days, until the later kicks in.

How about you?

G

Gary

I'm always pegging the meter as you put it. For me, This is one of the tools I try to work most with. I find that it is helping me to work with the other tools.

If 80-90% should be manageable, I'd say that I'm doing OK with that as a whole.
Breaking the gauge down into three equal parts... Not so much. That is the rough spot for me. I struggle with the balance that is laid out in the plan.

Since I've been raised to the sublime degree of Master Mason, I have made great strides in this area, but I've got a long way to go before I can say that 1/3 of my time is devoted to the 8 hour increments in the day.

Winnowing helps to divest myself of distractions (superfluities if you will) that are not necessities during my day. Some days my floor is covered in chaff!

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
The vocation side of my gauge is currently taking up most of my time. Really trying hard to get in time with the children though. I still find it difficult going from single and working several jobs to a married man with children.

G

Gary

Neglect not your devotion and attention to your God and your family. For without them, all other endeavors are rather pointless.- Bro. Gary

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I work 9hr with my day job, 1-2hrs a day on either my business and/or my wife's business, 8hr for personal (aka sleep, reading, FMH, FB, TV, etc), 8hr for Deity. Yup that is my life, in my head! Reality is real life with Coach's 20% factor knocking.:eek:

FF Sparky

I been losing more and more time for everything but work, My normal work schedule is well over 10 hours a day/7 days a week and that doesnt include all to other work I end up doing to help others out. I need to figure out a way to equalize my gauge. It is very lop-sided and I cant measure straight anymore.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Neglect not your devotion and attention to your God and your family. For without them, all other endeavors are rather pointless.- Bro. Gary
Sadly the work is for the family, and if the health insurance companies get any worse, it is going back to 2 or 3 jobs again. But I better stop before I have to ban myself.

G

Gary

Sadly the work is for the family, and if the health insurance companies get any worse, it is going back to 2 or 3 jobs again. But I better stop before I have to ban myself.
Yeah, I can understand completely. The worst part of that is that by working a job(s) for them, you actually never get to see them. They grow up before you realize it.

I can't wait for the day when globally money has no value, and everything that is done in the world is done to benefit humanity as a whole. I'll never see it, but it's a dream.

You need surgery? sure! the surgeon does that for free. He needs corn? he gets it from the farmer who grows corn. Shared services would change the world.

Greed has always been our arch nemesis.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Yeah, I can understand completely. The worst part of that is that by working a job(s) for them, you actually never get to see them. They grow up before you realize it.

I can't wait for the day when globally money has no value, and everything that is done in the world is done to benefit humanity as a whole. I'll never see it, but it's a dream.

You need surgery? sure! the surgeon does that for free. He needs corn? he gets it from the farmer who grows corn. Shared services would change the world.

Greed has always been our arch nemesis.

Yeah, that part hurts. James is standing already and thinks he can walk. Even the doctor yesterday was laughing about it. I've been doing better the past two weeks, taking about 2 hours a day to spend with children. Modifying my schedule, which includes waking up earlier, and attempting to go to be earlier. So this way I can get time in with the kids, and get work and house work done. House work is calming down some too. Once it gets cooler I plan on taking my hikes with James and on the weekends taking Justice. Taught her how to Geocache last year.

As far as your dream, it sure sounds nice. Would love to work for the love it rather then paying the next bill.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I worked on the river and LOVED it . I miss it and wish I could be out there again . So I did not consider it a job but a way of life . I loved slinging steel on the barges and turning wrenches in the engine room . The river was my home and I would come to the house and visit my wife for 10 days every month or two and back home I would go .

Now , my 24 inch gauge is off kilter as I can no longer work , and I love working with my hands , being covered in coal dust with grease and oil under my fingernails , it gave me purpose .

G

Gary

Let me rephrase my question. Since we know our WT are commonly used for Building, can they be used for other means? How about using them for the Crafting the environment around us?

I see the 24 inch Gauge as a Measuring tool. I've used it along with a scale to weigh and measure others. Some unfortunately are found wanting. I then use my other tools to make changes accordingly.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Let me rephrase my question. Since we know our WT are commonly used for Building, can they be used for other means? How about using them for the Crafting the environment around us?

I see the 24 inch Gauge as a Measuring tool. I've used it along with a scale to weigh and measure others. Some unfortunately are found wanting. I then use my other tools to make changes accordingly.
I would see it as very dangerous to measure others by our standards. There might be some factor unknown to you that causes a man to have a cable tow of unexpected length.

I heard a tale of a photographer who decided to document Southern (USA) Culture. As he drove along a dirt road he saw a man in the field hoeing, while sitting in a chair. "The height of Southern laziness," he thought to himself.
The road turned at the corner of the field and he saw the man from the other side, along with his crutches and his empty trouser leg.

S&F

G

Gary

I would see it as very dangerous to measure others by our standards. There might be some factor unknown to you that causes a man to have a cable tow of unexpected length.

I heard a tale of a photographer who decided to document Southern (USA) Culture. As he drove along a dirt road he saw a man in the field hoeing, while sitting in a chair. "The height of Southern laziness," he thought to himself.
The road turned at the corner of the field and he saw the man from the other side, along with his crutches and his empty trouser leg.

S&F
That would be judging a book by it's cover. I'm not implying that we should do that. That is always a careless and dangerous act.

What I alluded to was referencing the use of the tool to decide if we want to engage in debate, or otherwise interact with an individual (or group) based on our findings. If the findings are in the negative, using our other tools to circumscribe our desires and keep our passions within bounds. Squaring our actions, and being plumb in our work.

In the end, we use the tools for our own use. I do see the possibility for outward manifestation of their use though. Keeping in mind that the result of such use causes the Craftsman to modify himself in order to traverse the terrain he is traveling.

That's my two cents on the subject. :D

CoachN

Builder Builder
I would see it as very dangerous to measure others by our standards.
Only if you have not done the Work. Doing the Work gives a prospective uniquely suited to this task. Masterful Masons do it all the time. We are Charged to do so. Freemasonry is our Standard.