MM Topic Thesis topic for MM proficiency class

DrewC

I just began my MM profiency class, and one of the requirement set forth by my lodge is to create a 10 page research paper on a topic relevant to Freemasonry. This will be a collaborative effort with the four other brothers in my class and will be presented in open lodge and archived in our lodge library. I have several ideas myself, but I'm interested in any suggestions you may have.

Winter

I've been here before
1. The history and differences between A.F. & A. M. and F. & A. M.
2. Regular, irregular and clandestine
3. Practical application of the working tools
4. The Western Mystery Tradition
5. Alchemical influence in Freemasonry

Just some topics off the top of my head.

CoachN

Builder Builder
1. Based upon what Ritual espouses and exemplifies, what actions can Masons take to make themselves better men? (Broken into Degrees.)

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Writing a thesis is unknown in my grand jurisdiction. We just ask the new MM to learn the MMD catechism and deliver it in open lodge.
Can you tell me a little about your process? I.E., what jurisdiction [F&AM of KY?], what other requirement do you have, to show your proficiency, is there a time limit or requirement...?

S&F

DrewC

Brothers,
Thanks for your suggestions. I plan on bringing a few of these to the table for our next proficiency class.

Brother Franks,
The thesis idea is new for us as well. It is not required by the Grand Lodge of Kentucky, F&AM, but has been started by our current WM as a way to provide a higher degree of Masonic education. In fact, we are the first class to have this requirement. Other than the traditional catechism proficiency delivered in open lodge, the only other requirement is that our class travel as a group to visit another lodge. My EA and FC classes were much more traditional, in that the only requirement was to learn our proficiency and present it in lodge. I feel that this new format will provide more light to newly raised brothers. As for the time frame, we plan on delivering our proficiency by the end of December (last week was our first meeting).

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Brothers,
Thanks for your suggestions. I plan on bringing a few of these to the table for our next proficiency class.

Brother Franks,
The thesis idea is new for us as well. It is not required by the Grand Lodge of Kentucky, F&AM, but has been started by our current WM as a way to provide a higher degree of Masonic education. In fact, we are the first class to have this requirement. Other than the traditional catechism proficiency delivered in open lodge, the only other requirement is that our class travel as a group to visit another lodge. My EA and FC classes were much more traditional, in that the only requirement was to learn our proficiency and present it in lodge. I feel that this new format will provide more light to newly raised brothers. As for the time frame, we plan on delivering our proficiency by the end of December (last week was our first meeting).
...Yeah...I like it!

S&F

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
In CA, part of the proficiency includes writing an essay on a given topic for each degree and reading it in lodge.

As well as answering a multiple choice, open book quiz.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
In CA, part of the proficiency includes writing an essay on a given topic for each degree and reading it in lodge.

As well as answering a multiple choice, open book quiz.

Every jurisdiction should do this IMHO . Parroting back words remembered does not get it in my book .

DrewC

2SONDDAD- I think that is a fantastic way of doing things. Maybe more jurisdictions will follow CA's lead.
Ashlar- I agree with you 100%. It would be wonderful if more brethren took Masonic education seriously. Think of how much ritual and lodge etiquette would be improved.

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
Just for additional info....

For EA the topic is on the Working Tools of that degree.

For FC the topic is the Pillars and Porch.

For MM the topic is the meaning of The Lost Master's Word.

I thoroughly enjoyed the research involved in the writing of the essays. It gave me different perspectives on each degree.

I'll advocate for this as well as for Long Form! But that's a different topic.

DrewC

I agree with Long Form as well! I understand the additional time and manpower requirements may make it difficult for lodges with smaller membership numbers, but the information presented is vital for a understanding the ceremony.