Thinking about petitioning

zach522

Hello all,

I've been considering petitioning for the last year or so; my grandfather was a Mason as well as several other family members...

Anyway, I had a couple questions...

First off, I'm 21--I know most Lodges require you to be 18 or 21, but would my age cause others to look down on me for any reasons?

Second, I'm still in college. I've seen a couple things on the investigations, but since I'm living away from home where would it take place?

Is there anything else I should know about the process/joining/anything?

Thanks very much for your responses and time!

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Zach,
It's great to see that you have been considering joining our ancient and honorable fraternity. I applaud you for your thoughts and consideration. You should be aware that your age is not a concern and no one in the lodge should/would look down upon you. There is the age requirement for membership only so you are of mature age (Although I am well above that, and my wife says I'm not mature yet :) ). Your consideration in joining our venerable institution shows your maturity. As far as still being in college, that is not a major concern either. As far as the investigation, that is purely up to you and the committee asigned to perform the investigation. It may occur at your housing, or at the lodge. When you petition the lodge, you can inform them of your situation, as well as when they contact you about the investigation you can relay the information and come to an agreement as to the best location for your discussion.
This is just for your information, when you graduate from college, and locate/ re-locate you can then request a transfer to the lodge closest to your new residence as well. Of course you can still maintain your membership with the lodge that you petition. The petitioned lodge would become your "home lodge" however, after membership, you may visit / attend any other lodge.
I hope this answers some questions and helps you with your decision.

Good luck with everything, and please keep us informed, we always enjoy hearing about the newly considering gentleman who are / will be petitioning the various lodges. If/when you elect to join the Blue Lodge, keep in mind that there are a multitude of other bodies available to you, all with charity and community service as a basis.
We are taking good men and making them better through the attainment of knowledge and light.

Darrel

Also, Zach, most lodges will work around your school schedule. Last year, our lodge was pleased to have a young man petition our lodge. (Strangely enough, his name is also Zach). He lives with his parents here in East Tennessee, but goes to school in Texas. Tennessee requires 28 days between each degree. Zach turned in his petition, his investigation was done, he was voted on, and when he arrived home from school, we had his degrees scheduled. Normally, our degree nights are on Tuesdays or Thursdays, but to get Zach through the EA, FC, and MM degrees before he had to go back, we did his on Friday nights, every 28 days. He was raised to Master Mason on Friday night before he left to go back to school on Saturday. When he came home for Christmas, he got with one of the guys and learned the lecture and will turn it in this coming Thursday, before going back to school on Saturday.