MM Topic Thought for the day....

G

Gary

I thought it would be fun to work with some allegory. Here is something for you to perpend;

As Masons, we travel. During our travels, we cover some steep terrain. If you climb a mountain, what should be done upon your return?

G

Gary

Chart the map according to the path we traveled....
Travelers chart their map along their journey. It tells them where they are at, and offers options as to where they are going. While your answer is a good one, it leads one to believe that the journey is one of random chance, and not a planned course. Even Lewis and Clark knew what direction they were headed in when they set out on their journey of discovery.

As Masons, we develop our skills to use in our Craft. Let's presume that we know the direction we are headed, just not what adventures lay in between the starting point and our destination. That's why we need to chart as we go, not after the journey.

Travelers chart their map along their journey. It tells them where they are at, and offers options as to where they are going. While your answer is a good one, it leads one to believe that the journey is one of random chance, and not a planned course. Even Lewis and Clark knew what direction they were headed in when they set out on their journey of discovery.

As Masons, we develop our skills to use in our Craft. Let's presume that we know the direction we are headed, just not what adventures lay in between the starting point and our destination. That's why we need to chart as we go, not after the journey.
BUT.... no two journeys are the same so is the journey a planned one??? If so, why do so many that have done the work come up with different paths....Many explorers travel for a distance then chart the area they have travel once they are done exploring.

But for the sake of your question, the direction is already known.... so upon our return, we would share with others that have not made the journey yet and teach them the skills needed to successfully complete the journey...

G

Gary

BUT.... no two journeys are the same so is the journey a planned one??? If so, why do so many that have done the work come up with different paths....Many explorers travel for a distance then chart the area they have travel once they are done exploring.

But for the sake of your question, the direction is already known.... so upon our return, we would share with others that have not made the journey yet and teach them the skills needed to successfully complete the journey...
True, every man who makes the journey travels his own way to reach the destination. We stop along the way to explore caves and unknown territories which reveal things to us. The direction is known, but the paths to get to the destination are unique to each who makes the journey. My response to you was to point out that we shouldn't wait until the end to chart where we have traveled. I think we are in accord on this.

Back on point, I think you are on the right track! A man who travels to the top of the mountain surely, has some interesting stories to tell about his journey. We gain knowledge and insight along the way. If you keep the knowledge in your chest, it serves no purpose.

True, every man who makes the journey travels his own way to reach the destination. We stop along the way to explore caves and unknown territories which reveal things to us. The direction is known, but the paths to get to the destination are unique to each who makes the journey. My response to you was to point out that we shouldn't wait until the end to chart where we have traveled. I think we are in accord on this.
Yep!!!

Back on point, I think you are on the right track! A man who travels to the top of the mountain surely, has some interesting stories to tell about his journey. We gain knowledge and insight along the way. If you keep the knowledge in your chest, it serves no purpose.
Many have purposeless knowledge....it makes them feel powerful. Little do they know, it really only makes the bitter and alone....
A journey alone is one that never has an end.......

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
As stated above share your knowledge of your travels . To be more precise , inform others of your route so they may make the same destination safely and return home , your feelings , what you found etc; etc ; .

But also , to ponder on your own travels . Reflect on how it made YOU feel , on what YOU seen and on what YOU accomplished . Know the WHY of your travels .

Just shooting from the hip here .

G

Gary

Share your knowledge to everyone when you return.
Excellent response Bro. Brian!

As stated above share your knowledge of your travels . To be more precise , inform others of your route so they may make the same destination safely and return home , your feelings , what you found etc; etc ; .

But also , to ponder on your own travels . Reflect on how it made YOU feel , on what YOU seen and on what YOU accomplished . Know the WHY of your travels .

Just shooting from the hip here .
I think you explained the initial answer very well Bro. Ashlar. Not only is the journey an enlightening experience for the individual Brother to reflect upon, he also brings home gems from the quarry with him that he can share with his brethren.

I'm a firm believer that it's those gems that help other brothers find their own light and path.

CoachN

Builder Builder
...As Masons, we travel. During our travels, we cover some steep terrain. If you climb a mountain, what should be done upon your return?
First things first... take a long hot bath, recharge, have a brew or two...

After that,
  1. determine what value you should have obtained from your Travels
  2. determine why you should share it and why others would find it of value
  3. determine how you should share this with others so that they too may find value
  4. determine where it should be best to share this
  5. determine who is worthy of having this shared with them
  6. put it all together and make it happen

FF Sparky

First things first... take a long hot bath, recharge, have a brew or two...

After that,
  1. determine what value you should have obtained from your Travels
  2. determine why you should share it and why others would find it of value
  3. determine how you should share this with others so that they too may find value
  4. determine where it should be best to share this
  5. determine who is worthy of having this shared with them
  6. put it all together and make it happen

Can't break it down any better than that......... 'LIKE'

CoachN

Builder Builder
I'd add one more step:

* Have discourse with others who have made the journey successfully and ask what they got out of it.​