MM Topic Thought for the day....

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Three Pillars?

In studying the 7 L&S's we are taught that architecture is an important lesson to be learned. Today, I pondered what I have learned. We as Mason's know of two important pillars discussed in Masonry. The flanked circumpunct comes to mind.

As a Mason I stand as a point within a circle. As a Master Mason, I'm a pillar as it were. Today, I realized that allegorically speaking, I am flanked by Two pillars who have quite literally supported me to enable the strength of my foundation. These pillars are of different architecture of their own design. They are the Brothers who help keep me steadfast. Talk about profound!!!!

What do you think about my observation?

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Three Pillars?

In studying the 7 L&S's we are taught that architecture is an important lesson to be learned. Today, I pondered what I have learned. We as Mason's know of two important pillars discussed in Masonry. The flanked circumpunct comes to mind.

As a Mason I stand as a point within a circle. As a Master Mason, I'm a pillar as it were. Today, I realized that allegorically speaking, I am flanked by Two pillars who have quite literally supported me to enable the strength of my foundation. These pillars are of different architecture of their own design. They are the Brothers who help keep me steadfast. Talk about profound!!!!

What do you think about my observation?
An excellent observation, I have thought about it was going to say "our Lodge & our Brothers", but then thought again about something that I remember about church, that its the people not the building that makes a church (I think it was Keith Greene who I hear it from the first time), and I now concur with your conclusion. OR perhaps it is our Brothers wo stand as one pillar (like that of the FC pillar) and the VSL (as in the EA pillar)?

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
That could be Bro. Russ. As an after thought I should have explained my position a little more. My observation was not so much as a literal Masonic translation of what is generally taught, but more of a direct thought on what I have experienced in my time of distress recently. Strength of the Brothers who are closest to me, and the Establishment that is what is Masonry.

The VSL factors in to the equation as well (Bro. Coach has an excellent lecture on the subject of the flanked circumpunct and how that all fits BTW-), but I wanted to emphasize my personal experience from the last two days.

I wanted to share how we as builders are different, but have an uncanny ability to uplift and support a neighboring pillar who has a distinct need of their assistance. Whether the pillar in the middle realizes his need or not.

Keep in mind there also three pillars in Masonry who's allegorical interpretation are similar to what I'm explaining, but are rooted in virtue as well as their own symbolism. I'm not trying to dispute that, but rather point out that I've observed a unique way to look at architecture as it pertains to Masonry.

Duncan1574

Ah! A personal revelation of your personal journey and a good one AND it is still an excellent description of the 2 pillars.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Ah! A personal revelation of your personal journey and a good one AND it is still an excellent description of the 2 pillars.
Thanks. I try... My Work is the only thing keeping me together at the moment. You'd think that my mind wouldn't focus on things like this, but it's times like these where it comes as an epiphany.

Dont know how profound it is but here ya go:

As a single pillar you have a limited amount of strength to bear your load but as the load get heavier, two additional pillar on your right and left balance out the load and even distribute the weight we bear.....

Duncan1574

<< Ecclesiastes 4:12 >>

Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

How about this?

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
3 pillars

There is also the issue of stability.
With one pillar, however strong, any change in the position of the load and the pillar and the load will topple.
With two pillars, change along one axis may be tolerated, but any movement perpendicular to that axis, and the same catastrophe will occur.
But, with three pillars, movement of the load, forward or back, left or right, is much better accommodated.

S&F!

Duncan1574

There is also the issue of stability.
With one pillar, however strong, any change in the position of the load and the pillar and the load will topple.
With two pillars, change along one axis may be tolerated, but any movement perpendicular to that axis, and the same catastrophe will occur.
But, with three pillars, movement of the load, forward or back, left or right, is much better accommodated.

S&F!
Like a milking stool.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Excellent Bro. Gary.

This is why I love you guys. One persons revelation is a building point for other Brothers so the Temples continue to improve.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Excellent Bro. Gary.

This is why I love you guys. One persons revelation is a building point for other Brothers so the Temples continue to improve.
I'm honored to share with you Brothers. That's the great thing about like minded Brothers sharing. The possibilities are endless. It's much more fun when we Build our Temples together.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
As I sit here this morning sipping my coffee, I'm re-reading this thread. It's fascinating to see the similarities in interpretation and thought on what I had shared.

Brothers who in the past have said that they struggle with allegory, surely shined on this topic. I find it amazing that when we take our symbolism and look at it, we can often find a special unique and very personal application of it.

This interpretation, although uniquely personal, is directly linked to the truth that the symbols teach in esoteric Masonry. Each of the Craftsman who have shared their thoughts here have come up with excellent ways to describe what the pillars are and their importance in our journey! While Masonry is an individual journey, I have also realized that our paths intersect for the benefit of all Masons when we Work.

The statement was made regarding the "Temples". While we work on our individual Ashlars, it's important to realize that we as Craftsman play a very significant role in the Building, support, and maintenance of the structure that is Masonry, and therefore support the work of our fellow Craftsman. -There is a ME topic here me thinks... :1-wink-grin:

It is an honor to Work in the Quarry with you all.

Duncan1574

As I sit here this morning sipping my coffee, I'm re-reading this thread. It's fascinating to see the similarities in interpretation and thought on what I had shared.

Brothers who in the past have said that they struggle with allegory, surely shined on this topic. I find it amazing that when we take our symbolism and look at it, we can often find a special unique and very personal application of it.

This interpretation, although uniquely personal, is directly linked to the truth that the symbols teach in esoteric Masonry. Each of the Craftsman who have shared their thoughts here have come up with excellent ways to describe what the pillars are and their importance in our journey! While Masonry is an individual journey, I have also realized that our paths intersect for the benefit of all Masons when we Work.

The statement was made regarding the "Temples". While we work on our individual Ashlars, it's important to realize that we as Craftsman play a very significant role in the Building, support, and maintenance of the structure that is Masonry, and therefore support the work of our fellow Craftsman. -There is a ME topic here me thinks... :1-wink-grin:

It is an honor to Work in the Quarry with you all.
I am thinking that line could the title. I like the sense of action.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I am thinking that line could the title. I like the sense of action.
I agree. I hadn't given it any thought, but it is very appropriate. I think at our next stated communication, I'll get up and present this off the cuff. I seem to do my best Work that way.

Honestly, I started this thread as a tool to help me process my grief. What happened was truly amazing. Instead of laying on the ground in the fetal position in agony, I feel the gentle hand of the Great Architect through my Brothers who are literally lifting me up and carrying me. They aren't giving me empty words to appease my grief. They have skillfully put the tools back in my hands and have knowingly or unknowingly encouraged me to carry on.

I think what is most interesting is that I've been able to share how every one of us has the capacity to see beyond the veil to apply symbolism in an effective way that enriches our journey. Some just don't recognize this ability until a situation like this presents itself.

Duncan1574

I agree. I hadn't given it any thought, but it is very appropriate. I think at our next stated communication, I'll get up and present this off the cuff. I seem to do my best Work that way.

Honestly, I started this thread as a tool to help me process my grief. What happened was truly amazing. Instead of laying on the ground in the fetal position in agony, I feel the gentle hand of the Great Architect through my Brothers who are literally lifting me up and carrying me. They aren't giving me empty words to appease my grief. They have skillfully put the tools back in my hands and have knowingly or unknowingly encouraged me to carry on.

I think what is most interesting is that I've been able to share how every one of us has the capacity to see beyond the veil to apply symbolism in an effective way that enriches our journey. Some just don't recognize this ability until a situation like this presents itself.
The old, slightly overused, "footprints in the sand", comes to mind. Allegorically speaking are the footprints made by Jesus or by a person who comes up along side of you when you need them?

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
The old, slightly overused, "footprints in the sand", comes to mind. Allegorically speaking are the footprints made by Jesus or by a person who comes up along side of you when you need them?
You read my mind! That's exactly what I was eluding to! Kudos!