Tips for tile?

JohnQ

We are going to put down tile in our kitchen as soon as we get a free weekend. Anybody have any tips on making it go as smoothly as possible?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Oh wow , I could be of NO help because it has never went smoothly for me . Jason may have some input since he has done some home remodeling last year .

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I HATE tiling. So hard on the knees. Mess up a little in the beginning and forget it. Wood flooring is not as bad. I will point you to the lowes website, as I usually have help when I do it, although anymore I prefer to pay someone. Lots of good people need the work. Install Floor Tile brought to you by Lowes.com

JohnQ

Thanks for the tip Jason. I wish we could hire someone to help but it's just not in the budget getting the materials barely was. We do have a friend that has done it a couple of times who says he'll help get us started.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Yeah, if you got a friend that helps. I've been lucky and been able to find a tile person at the local daily worker place when needed. Or just be sitting in Home Depot / Lowes long enough you find someone who needs work.

I wish I could be more of a help though. Tile is just something I have not done enough of it personally without guidance to feel comfortable with.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
One starting tip, make sure you measure the room and snap a straight line both directions dividing the room into quarters. Start from the center and work out. Dry fitting the entire room will give you an idea if you will like the design or not, this way you can avoid having to ruin any tiles if it isn't quite what you expected. Good luck!