MM Topic To many chiefs

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I am wondering if anyone has or had this problem .

Does your lodge have those Past Masters or side liners who think they run the lodge from the side lines . Do they question or fight the Master's every decision ? Do they sit on the sidelines during degree work and point out every mistake ?

If you do (or did) how did you deal with it ?

Let's keep it on point Brothers .

edwmax

Generally, that indicates the sitting WM does not know correct Lodge procedure and the PM is trying to inform him. Now if the PM is speaking more than twice without being recognized by the Chair, that is a little different but still a violation of proper procedure.

G

Gary

On occasion, I've seen it happen. I'd gavel them if necessary. I agree with your stance on the subject.

I've also seen PM's hold their own little conversations during Lodge. It's exceptionally annoying because they think that because they are Past what ever's that they have a right to do or say what they want whenever they want.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I was not asking about lodge procedure . A Past Master whispering council in the ear of the sitting Master when he makes a mistake is one thing . Which is how it should be done , in private . No one , not even a Past Master , should be questioning a sitting Master in the middle of a lodge meeting unless he is recognized by the chair , even when trying to make corrections .

What I am talking about is a Past Master or a gaggle of Past Masters , running their mouths from the sidelines , questioning everything the sitting Master , officers and the Craft are trying to do for the betterment of the lodge . Trying to vote down anything that they see as different from how " they used to do it" .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I've also seen PM's hold their own little conversations during Lodge. It's exceptionally annoying because they think that because they are Past what ever's that they have a right to do or say what they want whenever they want.

If he is conducting business out of order , I just go with it . If his wording is wrong , I just go with it . If it will be something that would violate the laws , rules and regulations , I rise to me feet to be recognized by the Chair and point it out . But I see no use pointing out simple mistakes in open lodge and embarrassing the Master and the lodge . The simple mistakes are things that can be worked out later in private .

edwmax

I was not asking about lodge procedure . A Past Master whispering council in the ear of the sitting Master when he makes a mistake is one thing . Which is how it should be done , in private . No one , not even a Past Master , should be questioning a sitting Master in the middle of a lodge meeting unless he is recognized by the chair , even when trying to make corrections .

What I am talking about is a Past Master or a gaggle of Past Masters , running their mouths from the sidelines , questioning everything the sitting Master , officers and the Craft are trying to do for the betterment of the lodge . Trying to vote down anything that they see as different from how " they used to do it" .
Then gavel them down; tell them if they have a comment to rise and be recognized. Sideline outburst and discussions are not proper.

Oh ... If this is a big problem, then get a copy of your GL etiquettes and have them read in the Lodge. Make it part of the education presentation.

Then gavel them down; tell them if they have a comment to rise and be recognized. Sideline outburst and discussions are not proper.

Oh ... If this is a big problem, then get a copy of your GL etiquettes and have them read in the Lodge. Make it part of the education presentation
I LIKE this idea..... this definitely would set the tone of whom was to govern the Lodge.

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
I did see a problem with over-zealous admonishing when I became Master so I started implementing Coaches/prompters for degrees and meetings. I halted those who immediately jump up during "refreshment" or after the meeting is closed, and go running to correct a mistake (often rather bluntly and not tactful).

I would prompt my officers during the opening and closing. Usually a PM/PGM and I would be the prompters during the ceremony. My officers were working on there Warden's / Master's Certificate I did maybe half the conferrals my year as Master so I acted as prompter.

There were maybe two or three PM's that would try to run the Lodge sometimes through "back when" talk, but they really didn't try to fight my every decision. They were usually pretty subdued and respectful to me as Master (even though I am the same age as their kids or grandchildren).

If discussions would get out of hand I would use the Gavel and remind them to keep the harmony.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Now I have only had this happen a time or two , but this is not a problem in my lodge . It was just a general question to see how others handled it .

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
We constantly have PM's saying the PM password and stance. As a Brother working the chairs it is a bit helpful (I get to hear what they think needs done) and nerve-racking (one PM was raised and spent years in other jurisdictions so he constantly complains about the way things are here). I value the leadership some show but some have the people skills of a VOGON!

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I haven't actually seen this happen in my lodge. As WM, the past masters in attendance were respectful, and if had something to say would wait until the tyled meeting was over. I personally would have to address the problem at that time in lodge. Specifically calling on one of the PM's to arise in lodge, explain their complaint, and then as WM, instruct them that unless they are standing in the East, it is not their place to do so from the sidelines. Just me and how I would handle it.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I am wondering if anyone has or had this problem .

Does your lodge have those Past Masters or side liners who think they run the lodge from the side lines . Do they question or fight the Master's every decision ? Do they sit on the sidelines during degree work and point out every mistake ?
[snip]
My big concern is the old inflexible PMs who don't want the new WM to make any change. It won't be in the tyled Lodge, it won't be with a whisper of good counsel after a meeting, but to every one BUT the WM between meetings, at Masonic Breakfast, Shrine, YR, or SR meetings.
There's a current attitude among the principle officers (WM, SW, JW) that they shouldn't do anything that would 'get certain members of the Lodge upset,' even if it is to have the Lodge do something newly allowed by GL.
It was several years until we could get the bylaws changed to allow Lodge of Sorrow, even though it was the same old f@rts complaining that funerals took to long to do, with having to come to the lodge and open and close!

:(
S&F