Tonight is the night!

CloseYetFar

It was quite the experience to say the least. I was honored to be able to share it with my grandfather and my best friends father who made it out to watch the initiation. I was astounded at the number of people from different lodges that showed up to witness a huge step in my life. The fellowship was great with everyone and I felt totally comfortable meeting them and talking with them even though I hadn't known them before last night.

Now I get to start my learning/memorization so I can move on to the next degree, but I want to savor the moment of each step. I also need to find an EA degree so I can actually see it from the other side. I hear that is a good way to get more understanding of the degree, and it will also help with my learning of what needs to be learned.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
Having your grandfather there was great, for him as well as for you. I recall the look of pride on my father's face when I was initiated. The men you met were in your shoes once and they will be your brothers for a long time and they are looking forward to your success.

Attending an EA degree is a great idea, just be sure someone will go with you who was in attendance at your EA degree to vouch for you. It is definitely easier to understand if you are not hoodwinked and nervous. Be receptive with your mentor and above all don't be afraid to ask questions about Masonry, if it is above your degree your mentor will tell you so and eventually your questions will be answered in the degrees that follow.

CloseYetFar

Having your grandfather there was great, for him as well as for you. I recall the look of pride on my father's face when I was initiated. The men you met were in your shoes once and they will be your brothers for a long time and they are looking forward to your success.

Attending an EA degree is a great idea, just be sure someone will go with you who was in attendance at your EA degree to vouch for you. It is definitely easier to understand if you are not hoodwinked and nervous. Be receptive with your mentor and above all don't be afraid to ask questions about Masonry, if it is above your degree your mentor will tell you so and eventually your questions will be answered in the degrees that follow.
Thank you for the great advice. I had questions that were answered in the EA degree alone which was pretty amazing. I plan to ask a lot of questions as that is the type of person I am. It is such a special feeling to have gone through something that so many great people have gone through before me.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
CloseYetFar -- just an FYI, in your signature line you have "Entered" with your EA date. The proper term is "Initiated" followed by your EA date. You were initiated as an Entered Apprentice Mason. You will understand Masonic terminology with time.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Congratulations on your Initiation! Savor the experience as an EA and realize that your time with your mentor (or coach, as we call them in NC) is more than committing something to memory; it will be a time of fellowship and friendship and learning much about Masonry that is beyond learning a catechism.
I would caution you: don't let you EA catechism (assuming MS has one similar to those learned in IN and NC, where I am familiar) get stale, as you advance in the degrees. Go over it a few times a year, or even once a month, if that's what it takes. Someday you may be asked to coach an EA yourself.

Uh, this is a "do as I say...not as I did!"

Now, on this forum, jump in and stir up some discussion!

S&F
bob

CloseYetFar

So far it has been quite a bit nerve racking. I haven't really had to study anything in almost 10 years so I am getting used to that part of it. All of the wording is so different than wording these days. My mentor is pretty strict on getting the correct terms, which I love about him, but it does get me jumbled up when going over the work.

I've been a little unlucky with timing as I had a bunch of family in town for a wedding and my mentor was sick after that so the learning process has been a little slow. Now that those things have passed we will be talking or meeting a few nights a week to try and knock everything out. He did say I am doing really well for only going over things a few times, which made me extremely happy to hear.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
I am glad you have a good mentor/brother to help you. You and he will become life long friends because of this mentorship. The wording in the next degrees will seem like you have been speaking it all your life once you get the EA degree down pat.

CloseYetFar

I was talking to one of the guys in the investigation committee about it last night because I was getting frustrated and confused. I came to the realization that I just need to take my time and slow down. I am one of those people who likes to rush through something when I start if it is something I really want, but in this situation I feel as if I wouldn't get as much out of it by trying to rush through it.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
Every one of your Brethren want you to succeed. Remember the more you try to force your memorization and try to return your work before it is completed, the more likely it is you will not be happy with the results. Masonry is a lifelong journey and we are continually learning and growing at a pace which will allow us to improve ourselves in our attempt to reach that "state of perfection where all good Masons hope at last to arrive, by the aid of a virtuous education, our own endeavors and the blessings of GAOTU".

Look at Masonry as a marathon not a sprint. From your last post it seems as if you are starting to look at your Masonic journey in the right way.

Best of luck my brother.

CloseYetFar

Every one of your Brethren want you to succeed. Remember the more you try to force your memorization and try to return your work before it is completed, the more likely it is you will not be happy with the results. Masonry is a lifelong journey and we are continually learning and growing at a pace which will allow us to improve ourselves in our attempt to reach that "state of perfection where all good Masons hope at last to arrive, by the aid of a virtuous education, our own endeavors and the blessings of GAOTU".

Look at Masonry as a marathon not a sprint. From your last post it seems as if you are starting to look at your Masonic journey in the right way.

Best of luck my brother.
Thank you!

CloseYetFar

I went over the last part of the necessary information that needed to be learned last night and will be turning in my proficiency on Wednesday night!

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
Great! You may be nervous at first, but remember, as I have stated before, every one of us have been in your shoes and have stood where you are about to stand to return our work, we want you to be successful. Good Luck!!! I am confident you will do a great job.

Keep us posted.

CloseYetFar

Well, I turned in last night and am pleased to inform you all that I turned in an excellent proficiency. When the time came for me to sit down I felt as if I had forgotten everything that had been taught to me, but as soon as the first question was asked, everything just started spewing out. I only missed one word in the whole thing and everyone was very pleased with my turn in. I get my FC a week from tonight because tonight is our business meeting.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
Congratulations on returning your proficiency. I am confident you will do fine with the return of your other two as well. Enjoy the FC degree (as much as you can hoodwinked) and be sure to pay strict attention to the MC lecture. I personally think it is the lecture that defines Masonry. Keep us posted.

CloseYetFar

Sorry I haven't updated as I have been busy learning my FC proficiency. I got my FC on the 13th and it was quite an awesome experience. I was blown away by the MC lecture and the letter G lecture. It was such an awesome experience and I cannot wait to go through my MM degree. I will be turning in my FC proficiency tonight. It only took me 11 days to get it down. Hopefully in the coming weeks I will be able to get my MM degree.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
You may have to wait for your MM degree as some jurisdictions require 28 days between degrees.
I am sure you will be as impressed with the MM degree as you have been with the first two. As before remember Masonry is a marathon not a sprint so we need to train ourselves as such. Keep us posted on your progress, my Brother.

CloseYetFar

You may have to wait for your MM degree as some jurisdictions require 28 days between degrees.
I am sure you will be as impressed with the MM degree as you have been with the first two. As before remember Masonry is a marathon not a sprint so we need to train ourselves as such. Keep us posted on your progress, my Brother.
My MM degree is scheduled on the 11th of December, as we have to wait one business meeting between degrees from what I was told. Please don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to get it over with as fast as I can. It just happened to come up that my mentor said it was time to turn in so that is what we did. I am trying to be as patient as possible, yet again, on the wait for the next step. After the degree, I will get back to work on the MM proficiency and turn that in. We aren't required to turn it in here unless we are going to be an officer, but being already in the mode of learning all of the proficiencies I want to turn mine in like I did the other two. I would rather not wait and have to learn it all again from nothing.