unemployed

boonehassler

I have been looking for work for more than two months now. It is starting to effect the ones around me (their opinions). Its hurts my pride that I am young man willing and able to work, but cannot find employment. Any advice on ways to keep my head up as well as deal with the people around me? (A better question would be does anyone want to put me to work??lol)

Brother Liberty

Service Officer
Don't feel too bad. I have been out of work since March of 09. Keep your head up, and just think about all the little projects you can get done around your lodge!

Leslie

The best advise is to don't give up. You need to keep looking. You need to make a list of the things you are good at and find ways to put those to work. You have the chance to reinvent yourself. I believe that as long as you don't just sit down to wait for work to come to you, you have nothing to be ashame of. It is when you give up and start blaming everybody around you when the problems begin.

richter111

I was laid off in March of 2009.

I finally found full time employment in August of 2010

During that time, I went back to school full time for my masters, and assisted my wife in opening her own home daycare.

The best advice I can give you is to stay productive, plaster the job market with your resume, and look into going back to school

I wish you all the best

boonehassler

I have not been to lodge for about six months now, I feel i need to do alot of work on myself as far as work goes before I get down there again, But i do plan to go on Nov. 4. and let them know what is going on with me and the work im trying to do, I would love to tinker and help out down there, but my absents is only for respect, i feel the first step of the ladder is not as strong as it should be, thank you for all, for the advice

TrowelTalk

I work with young people in job training and job placement;

What does the military do when not fighting a war? "Train"

Use this time to build your skills to improve your employability. There are lots of free or inexpensive ways to do this.

Community College:

Even if you have an adv degree, there are always individual courses available which will help improve your practical skills, software applications, construction, etc. Our CC system has become America's vocational training program.

Internships:

If you can't find a job in the industry you wish to spend your career in, look for opportunities to volunteer as an intern. check out the Will Smith movie, "The Pursuit of Happiness" The Pursuit of Happyness (2006) - IMDb for some insight on how a hard working intern can impress an employer into securing a full-time "paying" job.

Military Service:

Yes, there is a war on. there ALWAYS seems to be a war on. But many of your faternal brothers have served their country bravely and in the process gained valuable experience, technical knowledge and upon completion of service, a GI Bill which will help further one's education and secure a home.

Mentoring:

I will guarantee you that in your Lodge and surrounding Masonic family there are many, many successful businessmen from every industry imaginable, many who do or have owned their own businesses and overcome adversity. Seek out a mentor and meet with them regularly. Don't look for them to solve your problems or give you a job, but listen to their stories and advice/opinions on what made a difference in their life, then apply those lessons to your own. Here is a good book on Mentoring. I know the author and the lessons he writes about in the book are 100% true: Amazon.com: Mentor: The Kid & The CEO; A Simple Story of Overcoming Challenges and Achieving Significance (9780979396267): Tom Pace, Walter Jenkins, Pneuma Books, Brian Taylor: Books

Free Training:

there are a host of job training programs out there, not every one is right for everybody, so do your research and find one that is right for you. I work for the Job Corps program Welcome to Job Corps we work with disadvantaged youth between 16 - 24. If you want more info or to talk to me about this program, feel free to PM me for my phone number.

There are many other programs run by the State or Federal government, some work with specific populations like older workers, or those who are unemployed because the company they worked for went out of business. The fastest way to find out what ALL is available to you in your area in going to a local "ONE STOP" center. Careers and Career Information - CareerOneStop these are locations where the federal government has asked that info on ALL employment and training resources be offered at one location in a given community. Use the search function on that page to find the one nearest you.

Good luck, but luck is only part of the solution; persistence and perseverance are needed as well!

Best wishes,

Jacobson

There's loads of great advice here for anyone who is looking for work. Times are hard right now and I am glad that I'm retired but I have been through periods in my life where my wife worked to pay the bills because I could not, and I came out the other side, so it's not all bad.

boonehassler

being on the west coast its hard being a whiteboy plasterer. If the union has no work,,, fish out of water..............as a apprentice.

Br_Eric_Hill

You should never stay away from Lodge brother. You brothers are there to support and help you along your journey. By staying away you only hurt yourself. I know self confidence is a big reason people shy away from gatherings, but you should not have any reason to believe your brothers wouldn't treat you with love and respect regardless of your empolyment situation. As an employer I would offer this advice, if you are having trouble finding a job in your given field, you maybe should try something new. The restaurant industry is thriving even though we are technically still in a recession. Even if the money isn't that great, it is still better than sitting around the house doing nothing. Just my idea's brother. I hope you find some work soon.