Veterans Organizations

Winter

I've been here before
Just curious how many here are members or active in any of the Veterans organizations like the VFW, American Legion, or DAV. Or any others.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Was in the American Legion but quit due to the fact that they allow non-veterans in as members in my local legions . Many joined using their parents involvement in the military .

When I brought this up to the secretary at my local legion , she copped an attitude with me and said "That is the problem with you Gulf War veterans , you think we should only allow veterans in as members !" to which I said "THIS IS a VETERANS organization , correct !?!?" .

The local VFW went bankrupt .

I am thinking about joining the Marine Corps League as they only allow Marines and Navy Corpsmen who served with Marines in as members .

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Not true. The Marine Corps League will allow civilians to join their Auxiliary. As such, they wear the uniform, go to meetings, and worst of all... get to sit at the bar and drink the beer.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I guess I am out of that one also . The one here did not mention that and I even asked .

Myself and another Brother were thinking about joining only if non-Marines were excluded to which they said no one but Marines and Navy Corpsmen were allowed in , I guess they left that bit out .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Sorry to sound like a d*ck about this , but we wanted to be a member of a veterans group where we would only be around other veterans .

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I guess I am out of that one also . The one here did not mention that and I even asked .

Myself and another Brother were thinking about joining only if non-Marines were excluded to which they said no one but Marines and Navy Corpsmen were allowed in , I guess they left that bit out .
The detachment my wife belonged to had an auxilary . I never joined, but you may want to ask the detachment there about it. It may be up to the detachment to allow it or not. I have no idea.

Winter

I've been here before
I can't say I blame you about the non-vet issue. I thought the Legion required a minimum of one day on Active Duty for membership.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
National Sojourners, Inc has membership standards of commissioned officers, warrant officers, and senior noncommissioned officers (E7-9). They do allow 15% honorary members, but these are usually past E1-6.
All members must be Master Masons.

S&F

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Bob , that's great for those who made a career out of the military , but we who served our country in combat , but did not reach a certain rank are barred from becoming full members . No thank you , I will not support the NS either .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I can't say I blame you about the non-vet issue. I thought the Legion required a minimum of one day on Active Duty for membership.
Brother , I think they are hurting for membership like everyone else and are playing a little loose with the rules anymore .

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Bob , that's great for those who made a career out of the military , but we who served our country in combat , but did not reach a certain rank are barred from becoming full members . No thank you , I will not support the NS either .
There seems to be a lot of discussion among the governing committee on whether to change membership requirements to allow any honorably served veteran who is a Master Mason, similar to how they struggled in the past to admit warrant officers, and then senior NCOs.
Anyway, no one at national headquarters counts how many honorary members a chapter has, but that looks to me like hypocrisy.

S&F

Winter

I've been here before
I wouldn't join the National Sojourners now even if they did change the membership requirements because of the way I was already snubbed by them because I was not an officer on Active Duty. They made their bed.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Personally, The waters have become so muddied, I don't think there is a club, group or fraternity out there that isn't compromised by this sort of thing. I'm lucky... Since I'm not a veteran, I'm not invited to these exclusive groups. even if I was invited, why would I join? I have nothing in common with a veteran. I don't see why exceptions for non-veterans are made. That negates the very point of a service only group.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Personally, The waters have become so muddied, I don't think there is a club, group or fraternity out there that isn't compromised by this sort of thing. I'm lucky... Since I'm not a veteran, I'm not invited to these exclusive groups. even if I was invited, why would I join? I have nothing in common with a veteran. I don't see why exceptions for non-veterans are made. That negates the very point of a service only group.
I agree brother . It would be like me joining an organization for women only . I am not a woman , I have NO IDEA how a woman's mind works (if I did , I could write a book and become very rich !) , I have next to nothing in common with them . It is a place for them to relate to one another , to bond , to talk about women's issues , to ***** and moan about us men , why should they make exceptions for me and other men .

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I agree brother . It would be like me join an organization for women only . I am not a woman , I have NO IDEA how a woman's mind works (if I did , I could write a book and become very rich !) , I have next to nothing in common with them . It is a place for them to relate to one another , to bond , to talk about women's issues , to ***** and moan about us men , why should they make exceptions for me and other men .
True!

I sort of told a fib. I do have a lot in common with veterans. I've worked along side of them, trained with them, and am even married to one. But I still wouldn't join their exclusive group because I myself have never served in that capacity.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
To be clear , I have nothing against non-veterans , it is just there is a certain bond that veterans share . Even across the different branches .

And married to a Woman Marine ( I think they no longer go by that moniker , but I am old school , sorry ) you deserve all the rights and benefits of a veteran LOL . WMs' that outrank you can be VERY scary when they unload on your butt !!!!!