wearing a ring

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Do you wear it with the Square pointing at your fingernail, or the Square pointing at you?

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Excellent Question

I wear mine with the square point toward me. With the letter "G" in the correct orientation. I wear it this way because of a portion of the Fellowcraft Masons degree. If you know the degree, then you know which part I am refering to.

PM#232

WM1109ms

It has been a long tradition in my lodge and has been passed down to me and i will pass it to every MM i raise when im in the east. we wear our rings with the compass points inward. So the G is right side up. This is becuase once a long while ago a master presented his friend and now brother with his ring and hoped that it would forever remind him of his final reception by the lodge during the first part of the MM degree

accer

Wm...I like that. It's a great tradition and it's nice to know you plan to continue it further.

Masonic Oak

Heres what I was taught.

Facing down to remind me, facing up to remind you.

I wear mine with top of the Square facing down, ever to remind me;)

Sometimes, I will place the top of the Square facing up. It all depends on my mood:D

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I wear it with the points of the compasses facing away from me . Purely for aesthetic purposes only . Supposed to be the other way till I'm a PM but my OCD will not let me(LOL) .

cemab4y

Correct way to wear a Masonic ring

I have worked from Maine to California. I have visited lodges in 11 states, Washington DC, and three foreign countries. Up north, you usually see the ring with the points facing up. In the South, you usually see the ring with the points facing down. Some states, you may see it either way.

Here is the correct way to wear a masonic ring:

-Wear it with pride! For being part of the world's oldest and most respected fraternity.

-Wear it with love! For the children in our hospitals, for the widows in our masonic homes.

-Wear it with honor! Remembering at all times, that we are to square our actions, and circumscribe our passions. The lessons we are taught in the lodge, honesty, forthrightness, rectitude of conduct, etc. are to be carried with us, every time we are in the world.

-Wear it with rememberance! Remembering the Masons who were killed in the Holocaust, the masons who are buried at Omaha beach, the Masons who are risking their lives every day in Iraq and Afghanistan. Remember also, the masons who pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor, so that we could have a nation.

But getting back to your question, of the direction of the ring. In the final analysis, the direction of the ring really does not matter. What matters, is the direction of the man who wears the ring.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
But getting back to your question, of the direction of the ring. In the final analysis, the direction of the ring really does not matter. What matters, is the direction of the man who wears the ring.

I like that. Mind if I use that/

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I just heard this and found it a bit humorous.

"The common way to wear a Masonic ring is on at least one of the fingers
or thumbs of either the wearer's left or right hands with the square and
compasses pointing either towards or away from the wearer at his option.

There is no rule against wearing such as a toe ring."

jbigie

points of compasses out toward the the world for all to see that I am a Mason.
I like that. When I get around to getting a ring, I plan to wear it with the square pointing away from me, so that when I extend my hand to greet someone, the Square & Compasses are right-side-up to the point of view of the person I'm greeting.